What's new

Your Favorate Buffalo Wing/ Hot Wing Sauce Recipes Please (5 Viewers)

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I use a gallon jug of Frank's Red Hot sauce that has been spiked with habanero peppers. I like my wings to be so hot that they're just a half step below inducing tears:)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'll second Frank's Red Hot (less the habaneros) and cook on the BBQ.

Chris Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Chris Smith's Wing Recipe (don't go sharing it :))
Nuke the chicken wings to get it cooked through. Takes about 10 - 15 min depending on the size of the wings. Then deep fry them to get them nice and crispy. Sure they aren't good for you, but they're wings, aren't they?
Sauce Recipe:
Start with a sauce pan and add about a 1/8 teaspoon butter. Just a tad of butter and melt it. Actually I'm not sure why I put this in, but I do. Then take a bottle of Franks Red Hot and dump it in. Warm on low for about 15 min.
Start adding the ingredients. Couple of splashes of Tabasco, both red and green. Then some of whatever hot sauces you have on hand. My personal favorites right now are Possible Side Effects and Dave's Insanity (Private Reserve if you can get it.) I have a two full shelves of hot sauce in my fridge so I don't add each one each time, but just dump some in. Make sure you have at least one hot sauce that has Habenero pepper as the main ingredient. I always add a hot sauce that has a Philadelphia Eagles helmet on it during football season for good luck :). Three or four good shakes a piece.
Now to thicken the sauce a bit. Get some Red Pepper (Cayenne) and dump a bunch in. This won't really effect the taste much because it's the same pepper that Franks is made of but it thickens the sauce I probably add about a 1/2 cup of red pepper per bottle of Franks. Then add some chili pepper (probably about half of what you added of cayenne.) Add a bit of crushed red pepper and some black pepper. It's pretty much a dump recipe.
Cook this for about 5 min at least before serving. It allows the sauces to mix together. Keep warm on the stove while people come in and grab wings and add sauce to taste. Note THIS SAUCE IS HOT. My girlfriend cannot eat this sauce it is simply too hot but I find it to be that perfect spice right before you can't eat it because it is too hot. It's really good, but that's just my opinion! I find the best way to eat this is to serve the sauce and wings separate that way people who don't like it as hot don't put as much on while people who like it really hot can load up.
I'm 22 now and I've been working on this recipe since I was about 8. 14 years of hot sauce and way over half of my life and I personally think it bests any sauce I've had in any restaurant in my life.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
For my normal Buffalo wings, I use butter/hot sauce (Crystal is what I normally use)/vinegar/honey as my sauce. I add the honey to round out the flavor a bit and make it 'cling' more.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Here's the original recipe from Frank & Teresa's Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY as well as the recipe for Hooter's wings:
Anchor Bar Recipe
The Sauce--This makes enough for about 30 "wingettes"
6 Tablespoons (3 oz.) of FRANK'S Louisiana Hot Sauce (now Durkee's)
1/2 stick of margarine (not butter!)
1 Tablespoon of white vinegar
1/8 teaspoon of celery seed
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon of Cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon of red pepper
1/8 teaspoon of garlic salt
dash of black pepper
1/4 teaspoon of Worcestershire Sauce
1 to 2 teaspoons of Tabasco Sauce
Mix all the ingredients in a small sauce pan over low heat until the margarine is completely melted. Stir occasionally.
The Wings
Buy Perdue [East Coast Company--any will do] wings and separate them into "wingettes", discarding the tips, but you can buy bags of frozen cut up wings and defrost them.
Fry the wings in a deep fryer set at 375 degrees F., using vegetable or peanut oil. Fry 15 wings at a time for 12-15 minutes. Drain the wings for a few minutes then put them in a bowl. After all the wings have been fried, pour the sauce over them, cover the bowl, and shake to completely coat the wings. They can be eaten now, but you may want to put them on a baking sheet and bake them for a few minutes to get an extra-crispy coating. Serve with carrot and celery sticks, Marie's Bleu Cheese Dressing, and
cold beer.
Hooters
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
Vegetable oil for frying
1/4 cup Butter
1/4 cup Louisiana Hot Sauce
1 dash Ground pepper
1 dash Garlic powder
1/2 cup Flour
1/4 tsp Paprika
1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp Salt
10 Chicken pieces
Bleu cheese salad dressing
Heat oil in a deep fryer to 375 degrees. You want just enough oil to cover the wings entirely -- an inch or so deep at least. Combine the butter, hot sauce, ground pepper, and garlic powder in a small saucepan over low heat. Heat until the butter is melted and the ingredients are well blended. Combine the flour, paprika, cayenne pepper, and salt in a small bowl. If the wings are frozen, be sure to defrost and dry them. Put the wings into a large bowl and sprinkle the flour mixture over them, coating each wing evenly. Put the wings in the refrigerator for 60 to 90 minutes. (This will help the breading to stick to the wings
when fried.) Put all the wings into the hot oil and fry them for 10 to 15 minutes or until some parts of the wings begin to turn dark brown. Remove the wings from the oil to a paper towel to drain. But don't let them sit too long, because you want to serve the wings hot. Quickly put
the wings into a large bowl. Add the hot sauce and stir, coating all the wings evenly. You could also use a large plastic container with a lid for this. Put all the wings inside the container, add the sauce, put on the lid, then shake. Serve with Bleu cheese dressing and celery sticks on the side.
Serves 2
Jeff

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
Thanks for all the replies.
I'm saving this thread and I'll probably end up trying all the recipes.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Do grocery stores like Giant, Festival, Weis carry Frank's Hot Sauce (Durkee's) or do I need to mail order?
Brian

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I do flour my wings before frying (I also got 370-375 in canola oil) for about 10 minutes until GBD. (Golden Brown and Delicious.)

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
I don't have a deep fryer, so what's the best alternative cooking method to making well done, crispy wings?

I've tried baking wings before and they always come out kinda "rubbery" and tough. I prefer my hot wings to be well-done and crispy with a nice coating of hot suace.

What would be the best way to grill em...
on a piece of aluminum foil or directly on the grill?

Man I better stop with the questions, my mouth is watering as I type this. :b

Thanks again,
Brian

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I don't have a deep fryer, so what's the best alternative cooking method to making well done, crispy wings?
Use a frying pan, with a liberal amount of oil. Fry, turning as needed. This is really easy for wings, as they are pretty flat, but it works for other chicken parts as well.

Chicken fried this way, has been a staple in Southern and mid-Western kitchens for a very long time.

Gary_E

Second Unit
Try WING-IT wing sauce available in most supermarkets and mix it 60/40 with melted butter.
Drizzle over cooked wings, stir and let stand for a few minutes. The combo is very good and easy to make.
-Gary

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Hooters wings used to be good, but now they are too crispy, too dry, and don't have much taste or a kick to them.

BW3 had the best wings when I was in college. Each week a roommate and I would go get 50 each...good stuff. I haven't had good wings since (its been 5 years now).

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Anyone here tried Link Removed? It weighs in at a hefty 7.1 million Scovilles. I bought some Red Savina after someone on this forum recommended it and that stuff's quite hot. The Source is 14 times hotter. Damn...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks