What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Your current GAS list? (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
For some events, I've used the Sony RX100m3 alongside my Canon 7Dm2 with 50-150 zoom, so upgrading a point-and-shoot Sony for a full frame one seems like a natural progression.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
So I've decided to forge ahead with the Sony a7 and begin liquidating some of my lesser used Canon lenses to offset some of the cost. The 7D will stick around as my telephoto machine (50-150mm and 150-600mm), but I'm also keeping the 17-55 and two of my favorite primes (24mm pancake and 85mm) so I'll still have some options.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So I've decided to forge ahead with the Sony a7 and begin liquidating some of my lesser used Canon lenses to offset some of the cost. The 7D will stick around as my telephoto machine (50-150mm and 150-600mm), but I'm also keeping the 17-55 and two of my favorite primes (24mm pancake and 85mm) so I'll still have some options.
What about using Canon lenses with an adapter? Isn't that an option?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
It is...but from what I've read it can be a little YMMV depending on the lens. The lenses I'm getting rid of aren't "L" grade glass anyway (they're mostly EF-S with STM that I thought I'd use for video at some point), so it's kind of a way for me to do a little weeding as well. I imagine I'll pick up an adapter at some point to play around with it (the Metabones seems like the one to get), but for now I'm basically narrowing my focus to one or two natively compatible lenses (35mm and 85mm primes).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I picked up a clone of the Quick soupbowl / beauty dish 34" modifier from the Glow line from Adorama, I'll get a chance to test it out Memorial Day weekend at a videogame con in Atlanta.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It is...but from what I've read it can be a little YMMV depending on the lens. The lenses I'm getting rid of aren't "L" grade glass anyway (they're mostly EF-S with STM that I thought I'd use for video at some point), so it's kind of a way for me to do a little weeding as well. I imagine I'll pick up an adapter at some point to play around with it (the Metabones seems like the one to get), but for now I'm basically narrowing my focus to one or two natively compatible lenses (35mm and 85mm primes).
I checked with my inside connections, who will know better than probably anyone else. The vote is for the Sigma MC-11, which I'm told works quite will with L lenses, not as well with the cheaper stuff.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Thanks!

So that seems to expand my 35mm lens options to a Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art with MC-11, which would allow me to use the SIgma on my 7D as a 56mm.

Or do I spend a bit to a lot less money and get a Rokinon 35mm E-mount that will only work on one body?

Ah...the Paradox of Choice.

Last edited:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
So I got the camera body, but the lens and adapter are "temporarily lost in the mail" because my mail carrier put the key to the parcel locker in the wrong mailbox, essentially delivering it to the wrong address. So now I have to see if the person who received the package is honest and/or if Amazon will replace the items. I've initiated the process with USPS first, since it's their error.

:angry:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Amazon assured me that it would be delivered today by the USPS. It did get delivered, but by the person to whom it was mistakenly delivered. I have a missing package request in with the USPS, which I'll use as a way to complain about my mail carrier, who has done this before. They need to come up with a better system to QA where they leave the parcel locker keys.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
After messing around with it a bit, it feels like a natural next step after using the Sony RX100 m3. The Sigma MC-11 seems to work fine with all my Canon EF primes, so I'll hang on to those. The Rokinon 35mm seems a touch faster to focus, understandably, so I'll still use that as my standard lens at this stage. I kind of wish it were a little faster than 2.8, but you can't beat the compactness.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That stuff looks awesome. I watched both videos and want a set!

But I've only got a camera shoe-mounted flash. :(

Is there some sort of gizmo which can make that flash wireless? And what if I wanted a second flash unit to provide fill? There must be a second magic gizmo that syncs both lights up to the camera aperture?

I apologize for being stupid about this stuff. I'm looking on B&H and not finding that sort of thing.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Does your flash have a flash trigger port? Aka PC sync?

I have a very basic and very old Canon EOS Rebel XS.

But it's manual tells me it has external flash functions. (Sorry. But my images of the manual pages got over-cropped a bit.)

full

The external flash I use with it has an E-TTL setting on it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
No, I don't use the pop-up flash built into the camera. This is my flash unit. It has no ports though. Are there units which can be attached to the flash shoe which sync with a flash like mine so it can be used off-camera? Or, would I jut need to get a new flash unit? I'd also love to be able to use a 2nd flash sometimes.

full

full

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So--just to be clear (cuz I'm pretty dense)--I can't just get a new flash set-up to accomplish this, Sam? I need an entirely new camera?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks