1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Your current GAS list?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Patrick Sun, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I just ordered a Dell UltraSharp U2715H 27-Inch IPS monitor during an Amazon flash sale for $379. I may try to keep my existing Samsung 21-inch display hooked up as a dual-monitor setup, but I am not sure how that will work out on my desk.

2. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    I have the wide gamut (full AdobeRGB) version of that monitor. It's very nice. I still run dual monitors, even with all the pixels it has, but I have desk space. Just don't believe their "calibrated out of the box" claim. It still needs calibration for photo work.

3. Scott Merryfield

Calibration will not be an issue for me. I have a Spyder3 calibration tool that does an excellent job with my existing Samsung display, and I was planning on using it on the new Dell monitor.

4. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    You'll enjoy it. It's especially nice to have all those pixels for photography. The pixel density is so high, I tend to increase the magnification a bit with browsers.

5. Scott Merryfield

My new Dell monitor arrived last night -- UPS dropped it off at 10:15pm! It must suck to work for UPS or FedEx this time of year.

I just finished installing and calibrating the monitor -- no dice on running a dual monitor setup, as this monitor takes up enough extra space that I would need to rearrange too many things on my desk. Besides, it provides enough screen space at the higher resolution that I really do not need a 2nd monitor, so the old Samsung will go to my wife's PC.

The before/after check on the calibration after running the Spyder 3 utility showed that the "out of the box" calibration was actually pretty close to the Spyder calibration, which surprised me. My old Samsung monitor was way off.

I had not processed my photos from Thanksgiving yet, so I ran them through Lightroom after getting everything setup properly. The larger screen size and higher resolution was really nice for that task. I think I am going to like the new Dell.

6. 466 Nov 30, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Rolled the dice on a HP Omen 32" 1440p monitor from Costco online on Cyber Monday ($250 plus tax), it should be here this Friday. I didn't go with a 4k PC monitor because my now-ancient PC (5+ years) will only display up to 2560x1600 if the specs on the old video card are to be believed. Hope the colors will be good on it, since I'll be using it with my photo-processing PC. The old PC monitor was a 24" 1200p model, also from HP, but it was getting old in terms of display area size.

7. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Broke down and jumped on a new Tamron 150-600 VC G2 telezoom (that peaked my interest after Sam's comments about shopping for the Sigma version) off eBay from an authorized dealer for ~$300 below normal street price during Cyber Week.

It was actually a bundle deal for ~$1090 that came w/ the tap-in console (that I definitely wanted) plus a 64GB SanDisk Extreme SD card, a pretty decent, large-ish Vivitar DKS42 backpack (that I probably won't use), set of Vivitar filters (that probably aren't good enough quality) and other essentially zero-value items (including something I'll call "tripod-shaped object"... even by the usual cheap bundle standard me thinks :P)...

The lens + tap-in console have been selling for ~$1300 as a bundle during this holiday shopping season, and the lens by itself normally goes for $1300-1400.

Will probably just give away the backpack to a friend as I already have more than enough bags (that I like better).

_Man_

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

After processing a big batch of photos over the weekend, I don't think I'll ever be able to process photos on a small 24" monitor going forward. That 32" screen size makes for much less scrolling around when zoomed in, so it's a time-saver for me, practically speaking.

I did have to buy a 4K rated HDMI-to-mini-HDMI cable because the text was a bit blurry when I used my old DVI cable with a DVI-to-HDMI converter on it, and I suspected my old DVI cable wasn't a dual-link DVI cable. I also found the "timing" setting on the customized resolution I had to create in the nVidia display program to "GTX" (instead of the "automatic" default setting), and it totally fixed the blurry text display issue for me. I was going to return the monitor if I didn't find a solution for the blurry text issue, but now I'm pretty happy with the sharpness of the text, and the overall screen size upgrade.

Scott Merryfield likes this.