What's new

Your current GAS list? (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The Canon store had a big discount on refurbs, which kind of made me kick myself for not waiting a little longer to get the R6m2. But I figured the BF deals were all played out at the time I determined buying new made more sense. But looks like those refurbs are out of stock now, which makes it moot.
Canon discounted the price of a new R6 even more to $2k, and I was able to get a price match through Best Buy. :dance:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
That K&F Concept ballhead looked interesting -- enough so that I added it to my Amazon wish list to keep track of just in case I want something compact in the future. My PhotoClam ballhead is very nice, but is bigger. I mostly will use the tripod for landscape shots such as long exposures of moving water (waves or waterfalls) or sunrise/sunset, and the built-in head on the Peak Design should be fine for that.

The heaviest load I normally plan on putting on the tripod is a Canon R6mii + RF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, which is about 3 pounds total weight. I may occasionally use it with the Canon R10 + RF 800mm f/11, which would be about 4.25 pounds total, but I don't travel with the 800mm unless we are driving -- and I tend to use a monopod instead of a tripod with the RF 800mm anyway. The RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS is the only telephoto I bring when traveling by plane, as it's a lot smaller and lighter, and I just shoot that handheld. The R10 + RF 100-400 weighs less than 2.4 pounds total.

IF you're still considering a K&F Concept ballhead, might wanna go w/ the slightly wider/heftier (and seemingly biggest of this series), 36mm one... as I'm finding the 32mm one is a tad too narrow for the PD universal adapter for full clearance of the protruding spirit level (partly because of the low profile) when set to vertical/portrait mode. I'm gonna order the 36mm version to see if that works well enough (for that clearance... and it'll likely be extremely close) as the meager/iffy specs on Amazon doesn't offer enough clarity on this issue.

I'm also still thinking to buy/use an L-bracket as well, so that too would mitigate this clearance issue (by not using the head that way), but would be good if I don't always *have* to use L-bracket given the whole point would be to go lighter and more portable, etc. Of course, if you're shooting w/ a long lens w/ lens collar that has its own tripod mount, that too would mitigate this issue.

Also, not sure about this type of (low profile) head w/ that particular type of knob for tightening the ball in general, but at least for this model, there's not enough clearance for turning it w/ the QR platform in some positions... though it may mostly be a non-issue for me given those particular positions...

_Man_

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Go ahead and flame away, but we have the latest entrant in the Stupid Lens Competition. AKA: how to prove you have more dollars than sense.

I have to admit, it's $1K less than I expected.
My f/4 version was about a third of that price. It probably weighs less than a third as much, too. Never been a fan of full frame f/2.8 zoom lenses.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My f/4 version was about a third of that price. It probably weighs less than a third as much, too. Never been a fan of full frame f/2.8 zoom lenses.
My Nikkor Z f/4 S 24-120 was less than 1/3 the price, $897 on sale. That crazy thing is 18" long and weighs 3 lbs! I mean, if I want selective focus, I bought a like-new Sigma ART 85mm f/1.4 for less than $600.

Correction, the page I looked at must have had a typo. 18" seemed completely absurd. It seems they got an extra "1" in the specs. It said 17.8" but it's 7.8".

Last edited:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Thanks. Got this error

This site can’t be reacheddeeplink-bh.datafeedfile.com refused to connect.

But this is on my phone.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I just placed an order for the Canon RF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-6.3 IS lens. This is an ultra wide lens for crop sensor bodies. It's very small and light (it will fit in a cargo shorts pocket), which will be a great solution for the Canon R10 as part of my light weight travel kit. The combo will also work great as a 2nd body to pair with my R6mII + RF 24-105mm f/4 full frame on hikes where I want to avoid changing lenses. This is the final replacement lens I needed to complete my dSLR to mirrorless transition.

I just wish that Canon included a hood with their non-L lenses. I refuse to pay them extra for a piece of plastic (the Canon hood is $29). I will have to wait for a 3rd party to make an equivalent hood (for less than half the price), as none are available right now. I use 3rd party hoods for all my non-L Canon lenses. The lens will be used hoodless until then.

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My Canon RF-S 10-18mm lens arrived today. Since DxO Photolab does not have correction modules available yet for the lens, I had to shoot these test shots JPEG, with just in camera processing.

IMG_1657-X4.jpg

IMG_1658-X4.jpg

The lens is pretty small. This is attached to the R10.

20231215_110925-X4.jpg

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
My Canon RF-S 10-18mm lens arrived today. Since DxO Photolab does not have correction modules available yet for the lens, I had to shoot these test shots JPEG, with just in camera processing.

IMG_1657-X4.jpg

IMG_1658-X4.jpg

The lens is pretty small. This is attached to the R10.

20231215_110925-X4.jpg

Congrats! Hope you love it!

That camera (especially w/ such a small lens on it) would probably feel too tiny to me if I have your mitts though, haha! :lol:

I have small hands for a guy, but my Z6 is about as small as I wanna go anymore (though I do want a small prime or two for street shooting and such)... :P

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Congrats! Hope you love it!

That camera (especially w/ such a small lens on it) would probably feel too tiny to me if I have your mitts though, haha! :lol:

I have small hands for a guy, but my Z6 is about as small as I wanna go anymore (though I do want a small prime or two for street shooting and such)... :P

_Man_
The small size of the R10 is part of the reason I selected it over the R7. I had previously owned a Canon M50 for light weight travel, and it was even smaller than the R10. This body, along with this lens and the RF-S 18-150mm, makes for a great light weight travel kit, and the body also replaces my old Canon 7D2 crop dSLR that I used almost exclusively for wildlife. I can also clip this body + lens combo to my belt with this Spider Black Widow holster to carry as a 2nd body, with my R6MII + RF 24-105mm f/4 L over my shoulder using a Black Rapid strap, for places where lens swaps are undesirable. I plan on doing this next year when we are in Hawaii, as we want to hike around the lava fields (if the lava is flowing).

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I discovered something puzzling, but interesting, regarding the lens hood for my new RF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-6.3 lens. Canon lists the proper hood as being a new model EW-53B. I happen to have a EW-53 hood that was designed for the EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 (which I used to own), and also is listed as the proper hood for the RF-S 18-45mm f/4.5-6.3 lens. I tried the hood on the RF-S 10-18mm, and I do not see any vignetting at all. Here is a test shot taken at 10mm.

IMG_1659-X4.jpg

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
IF you're still considering a K&F Concept ballhead, might wanna go w/ the slightly wider/heftier (and seemingly biggest of this series), 36mm one... as I'm finding the 32mm one is a tad too narrow for the PD universal adapter for full clearance of the protruding spirit level (partly because of the low profile) when set to vertical/portrait mode. I'm gonna order the 36mm version to see if that works well enough (for that clearance... and it'll likely be extremely close) as the meager/iffy specs on Amazon doesn't offer enough clarity on this issue.

I'm also still thinking to buy/use an L-bracket as well, so that too would mitigate this clearance issue (by not using the head that way), but would be good if I don't always *have* to use L-bracket given the whole point would be to go lighter and more portable, etc. Of course, if you're shooting w/ a long lens w/ lens collar that has its own tripod mount, that too would mitigate this issue.

Also, not sure about this type of (low profile) head w/ that particular type of knob for tightening the ball in general, but at least for this model, there's not enough clearance for turning it w/ the QR platform in some positions... though it may mostly be a non-issue for me given those particular positions...

_Man_

Just thought I should follow up in case anyone's interested.

The 36L low profile version of this K&F Concept ballhead indeed fit better on the PD Travel Tripod w/ just enough clearance for the protruding spirt level when set to portrait mode (unlike the 32L version). It also seems to have somewhat better clearance for tightening the ball itself.

I also ended up getting this L bracket for the Z6. Seems to work pretty well (and has various holes/openings for PD anchors) though I haven't actually done any real shooting w/ it so far (mostly because it's winter)...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks