What's new

Your All-time favorite song (1 Viewer)

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think it would be interesting for those that posted on this thread ten years ago, to update us on if the years have changed their minds on their favorite single song.
As for me, I cannot pick just one.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Favorite album is hard enough, assuming you can even pick one of those. Favorite song of all time is near impossible. Changes too often. I said "And You And I" by Yes 10 years ago and it would still be in the rotation today as well as other long, meandering compositions like Close To The Edge, Aja by Steely Dan and Light My Fire by The Doors. Or, something more introspective like Alone Again-Naturally, Time In A Bottle or Cats In The Cradle. Or any of a thousand others. Lately I've been enjoying Strawberry Letter 23 by The Brothers Johnson. The original version by Shuggie Otis is very nice as well. Just stumbled on to it yesterday.

As far as the best rock song of all time, even if it isn't my personal favorite? I might have to go with Born To Run or Born In The USA by Bruce Springstein. Even though I don't own any of his albums, to me those songs are what basic rock music is supposed to sound like. Energy and emotion with just a touch of anger.

But, like I said ten years ago, Don't touch me there is still a hoot! After all, "What Do You Want From Life?"

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I think it would be interesting for those that posted on this thread ten years ago, to update us on if the years have changed their minds on their favorite single song.
As for me, I cannot pick just one.

It would be interesting. I wonder if any of them even visit this site anymore?

My favorite song-

The Beatles "Here Comes The Sun".
Written by my favorite Beatle George Harrison. Upbeat, catchy, and it even includes some Moog synthesizer for good measure. Perfection.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I know I am old fashioned, but my favorite song is "If I Loved You" from Rodgers and Hammerstein's "Carousel". It embodies, at the same time, love and longing, as well as regret for things not spoken and not attempted due to fear - other than death, that is the greatest grief in life. In addition, it is the only song I know of that employs the diminished-seven chord at the end of a phrase; usually, the diminished-seven chord is a transition (passing tone) chord (such as in Gershwin's "Embraceable You".) It also goes to the related minor key (not that unusual) but taking it back to the dominant key using the function of the fifth of the dominant chord ("pass me by"), I find thrilling. For me, the song embodies both love and regret, with an achingly beautiful lyric and melody and an ingenious chord structure.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
In that case, I recommend the fairly recent release of Close to the Edge in 5.1, mixed by Steve Wilson. Very, very nice (as well as the Yes Album and Fragile).
I have it in 24/96 high res, but not surround, along with all the other studio albums. Two channel is just fine for me, though. I usually don't like surround music.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Well I don't listen to a lot of music but if I had to pick one... Guns & Roses - Welcome to the Jungle... or... Tesla - Modern Day Cowboy

Yes, I'm a 80's hairband guy... HairNation on Sirius for the win.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
A toss between Beach Boys "Good Vibrations" and Bobby Bare "Detroit City." I'm only 40 but I love 1950's to 1970's rock and roll and country.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Like others, I am a little bit surprised that I missed this thread when it was new. Anyway....

There are so many great choices that it is almost impossible to list a favorite, but I'd have to go with the acoustic performance of Plush by Scott Weiland (vocals) and Dean DeLeo (acoustic guitar) performed at the MTV Headbanger's Ball.

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks