What's new

Your All-time favorite song (2 Viewers)

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

I'll have to find the song and check it out. There are lots of songs from that era that I didn't like back then, but like now. I just bought Gerry Rafferty's (Baker Street) greatest hits disc and it's surprisingly good.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Oh, man. He is awesome. If you like what you hear, the City to City album is well worth owning. Also, I believe Night Owl has finally made it stateside, or at least can be imported through Collector's Choice Music. I had to get mine from the UK, and it was worth the effort.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'd say the entirety of the albums I named. At least try sound clips from City to City. "The Ark," "Whatever's Written In Your Heart" and "Home and Dry" are good ones to sample. If you like what you hear and think you might want to try it, search for "Night Owl Rafferty" at Amazon. There's a two-disc set that has both City to City and Night Owl, and it's only $15.98. I can't vouch for the sound quality, because I have the individual releases. You can't get Night Owl any other way now, though.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
The Rolling Stones' - Paint It Black.

I heard someone on American Idol did a cover on the 20th, so I LimeWired the epsiode to check it out. While Paula loved it (really, does she have any purpose other than instilling false hope? If you think about it, shes meaner than Simon) Simon correctly pointed-out that Gina Glockson did indeed butcher the song.

A few notes...

*The American Idol house drummer in every way surpassed Charlie Watts original drumming. This is 50% the fault of 60's recording technology, as the Stones have always had piss-poor bass & drums (on everything from vinyl to CD to remastered Cd to SACD...... PiB always has pathetic drums). The other 50% is likely that Charlie was probably drunk and/or high when the original was recorded in 1966. Mick Jagger has said he didn't remember the actual studio session at all.

*If I were to record the song today I'd replace Brian Jones and his sitar with Gabriela Quintero (of Rodrigo y Gabriela) and her 6 string acoustic. The tambourine can stay. I've also never been a huge fan of Jagger's singing ability (the man can write a great song however) and I'd replace him with just about anyone (except Gina Glockson).

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

Thanks Greg, I'm going to check City to City out. The greatest hits disc is good enough to make me interested in his other work. Any bad albums in his catalog you'd recommend staying away from?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Those are the only two I know really well. I have the one before and the one after, and they weren't that notable. I'd have to give them a few more listens before I'd pass judgment.

You probably already know this, but you know at least one other Rafferty song: Stuck In The Middle With You, when he was with Stealers Wheel.

DanielCo

Stunt Coordinator
I have thousands of songs in my collection but always go back to Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody". There's just so much going on.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
What an impossibly hard question when you really take the time to think about it, especially when trying to compare artists that you like across so many different genres, but for rightnow I think I'll say 'Higher and Higher' from Jackie Wilson, it's one of those songs that always puts a smile on my face.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Elton John's Ticking

So NOBODY better screw with me. :P

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Its impossible to pick.

A safe pick would be "Sunflower River Blues" by John Fahey.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i would have to say, currently .. Blue Sky / Allman bros Band

StephenA

Screenwriter
Melancholy Man by the Moody Blues. Don't know why. I tend to like Mike Pinder's songs best out of the band's, and I think the music has been sorely lacking since he left(just my opinion).

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson
"Melancholy Man" is a great song and I agree with your Pinder comments. "My Song" is the one of his that gives me the chills, especially in todays weird climate.

Anyway, to answer the question asked, my favorite song is "Steppin' Out" by Joe Jackson. I'm not sure why it is but I love the way that song sounds and it always gives me a peaceful feeling when I hear it.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I know i said Hey Jude earlier but I've changed my mind. I'm now going with And You And I by Yes. It's soley responsible for pulling me out of AM pop radio when I was a teen so I owe it favorite song status. Like most others, I'll constantly change my mind, but AYAI is really the one.

Brian.R

Grip
Real Name
Brian Rieck
Hell is for Children - Pat Benatar. I had a fine upbringing, but I can really feel the emotion of that song. I heard her say she sings it every night they play. The song has more impact when you first hear Suffer the Little Children about an actual event that inspired Pat to write it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks