What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Young At Heart (1954) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

51xCDO6j94L._SY300_.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.  

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Keeping my fingers crossed that this will fall more on the A Double Life end of the quality spectrum than the Court-Martial of Billy Mitchell end.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I pre-ordered this on Amazon on August 26th.

It was $20.97 at that time. It's $26.96 as I type this.

Is the date of January 21, 2014 the actual release date? I didn't think it was that far down the road. My Amazon order says they don't have enough information yet to let me know when to expect delivery. :rolleyes:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike Frezon said:
I pre-ordered this on Amazon on August 26th.

It was $20.97 at that time. It's $26.96 as I type this.

Is the date of January 21, 2014 the actual release date? I didn't think it was that far down the road. My Amazon order says they don't have enough information yet to let me know when to expect delivery. :rolleyes:
The release date suppose to be October 15th. Amazon had it listed as such then changed it to January 21, 2014 later on. DeepDiscount still has the October release date, but ImportsCD is listing the same January date as Amazon. I posted a question to MisterLime in the release thread for some clarification.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
DVDBeaver has posted its review of the BD, and it's a bit confusing. It concludes that the release is of reasonably good quality given source limitations, but I'm wondering if a knowledgeable person here can tell from the screencaps whether this is actually true or not.I really like this movie for Sinatra's performance, and I only recently went region free so I'm happy to be able to buy it now (it's Region A locked like most recent Olive releases). So I'll be buying it regardless as it's a step up from the DVD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Persianimmortal said:
DVDBeaver has posted its review of the BD, and it's a bit confusing. It concludes that the release is of reasonably good quality given source limitations, but I'm wondering if a knowledgeable person here can tell from the screencaps whether this is actually true or not.I really like this movie for Sinatra's performance, and I only recently went region free so I'm happy to be able to buy it now (it's Region A locked like most recent Olive releases). So I'll be buying it regardless as it's a step up from the DVD.
Sounds like a typical Olive BD release as it's not going to look like anything that TT or Criterion release.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Keith Cobby said:
Frank Sinatra and Doris Day on blu-ray is an essential purchase for me. High Society next please.
Oh how I WISH I liked HIGH SOCIETY. I've tried, really I've tried. Every few years I give it another try and I can barely get through it. To me, it plays like a bus and truck tour of the original and every single scene makes me want to watch THE PHILADELPHIA STORY.

I hope you get your wish though!! And I DO love "Well, Did You Evah?" ;)

And I'm totally with you on getting anything with Doris Day on blu-ray (you ARE after all, looking at the post of a man who actually bought CAPRICE on DVD when he already knew he hated it!! I draw the line at BALLAD OF JOSIE however)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Will Krupp said:
Oh how I WISH I liked HIGH SOCIETY. I've tried, really I've tried. Every few years I give it another try and I can barely get through it. To me, it plays like a bus and truck tour of the original and every single scene makes me want to watch THE PHILADELPHIA STORY.

I hope you get your wish though!! And I DO love "Well, Did You Evah?" ;)

And I'm totally with you on getting anything with Doris Day on blu-ray (you ARE after all, looking at the post of a man who actually bought CAPRICE on DVD when he already knew he hated it!! I draw the line at BALLAD OF JOSIE however)
Ha! I still bought The Ballad of Josie. And if it ever comes out, I'll buy Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?, which to me is the WORST. I actually ended up preferring Caprice to Do Not Disturb once I sat down and watched the dvds after not having watched either film for quite some time.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Will Krupp said:
I've reported this post to the moderators. It's against the forum rules to criticize any movie which has Grace Kelly. If it's not, then it should be :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Persianimmortal said:
I've reported this post to the moderators. It's against the forum rules to criticize any movie which has Grace Kelly. If it's not, then it should be :)
Actually, I have to agree with Will about High Society. Never liked this film probably because I'm too much of a fan of The Philadelphia Story. :)

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Robert Crawford said:
Actually, I have to agree with Will about High Society. Never liked this film probably because I'm too much of a fan of The Philadelphia Story. :)
I like both.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Robert Crawford said:
I have to largely agree as well. Oh, I like HIGH SOCIETY well enough, but considering the cast consists of some of the greatest talents of the 20th Century (Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra and Louis Armstrong) along with two of my all-time film favorites (Grace Kelly and Celeste Holm), I should love this film beyond all proportion. And I just don't. It's pleasant, the songs are nice, the cast doesn't disappoint, but far too often it only makes me wish I were watching THE PHILADELPHIA STORY.

I feel the same way when watching the same year's remake of THE WOMEN, THE OPPOSITE SEX. But to keep this on a Doris Day thread, I don't feel that way about THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH. I prefer the remake.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I agree with Will over The Ballad of Josie; it's the only Doris Day movie now available on DVD that I don't have. I caught a little piece of it on AMC the other day, and it's just terrible. I've never warmed to Do Not Disturb either, but I do have it. I can see the problems with Caprice, but I for some strange reason find it a wonderful guilty pleasure.

I saw Where Were You When the Lights Went Out at Radio City Music Hall lo those many decades ago and never again since, so I'd be curious to see it again for sure.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Matt Hough said:
I can see the problems with Caprice, but I for some strange reason find it a wonderful guilty pleasure.
In a career littered with vicious remarks against a series of repeat targets, one of Bosley Crowther's most unforgivably vicious barbs can be found in his New York Times review of CAPRICE.

As terrible and as MEAN as it is, it makes me laugh each time I read it (as WRONG as I know it is, lord help me!)
Miss Day? Well, let's just say of her that she appears to have reached that stage where massive wigs and nutty clothes and acrobatics cannot conceal the fact that she is no longer a boy.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I'm with Will also concerning High Society. To me the only highlight is Celeste Holm and Louis Armstrong.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
While The Philadelphia Story is of course a much better movie, I have to say I like the Cole Porter score of High Society very much, particularly "You're Sensational" which I think is a terrific ballad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks