What's new

Yet another speaker placement thread "with pics" (1 Viewer)

Daniel Hawl

Agent
I am currently using RS3II's in the rear of my home theater, but cannot come up with a good place to put them. I have a young daughter who will destroy any speakers mounted on stands, and I cannot pull my couch away from the wall. On one wall to the side of my couch is a window, and on the other wall, well, there is no wall for about 25 feet, in the dining room. The ceiling is a vaulted design. So, you know, help me out here. I obviously won't be able to get this perfect, but anything is better than my current placement.

The speakers are currently to the direct sides of my couch, placed on end tables. Very very bad. They are hard to see in the first pic, but you should be able to find them.

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator
Looking at your situation, the best thing you could probably do is mount them up on the wall at their current positions. That will at least let the sound get to your ears without hitting the couch on the way.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Unfortunatly it doesn't look like you can do too much with them. I think your only option is to put them up right behind you. It will still let the sound get to your ears but unfortunatly not as much as you will want especially with a nice speaker like that.

Unless you can somehow re-arrange everything I don't know what to say.

dan-0

Stunt Coordinator
If you check out the dolby site:

(won't let me post URL)

They would recommend placing the rear speaker on the end-tables facing upwards toward the ceiling.

I have a two year old at home and can empasize your 'placing speakers on stands' situation. However, my boy has been very good about not touching the front speakers (NHT superones, on stands) after a few lectures.

First thing I'd do though, would be to paint the room something, anything, other then booger green, perhaps a neutral color to go with the brown carperting. But that's just my personal preference.

Daniel Hawl

Agent
thanks for the tips. I took these pictures in the morning when it was still dark, the carpet is actually a light light tan, almost white, and the walls are white. Amazing what crap lighting can do for a room isn't it?

My daughter is 16 months, so a lecture on not touching speakers is pretty pointless at this point. She's learning to stop opening the tray on the xbox so I can probably try to teach her about the speakers in the near future.

would placing the speakers facing up on the end tables be a better solution than above and to the sides of the couch on the wall, facing forward?

dan-0

Stunt Coordinator
Goto dolby.com and check out the home threatre section, in particular check out sections 3.2 - 3.3. it discusses your exact situation.

I had same set-up as you (couch against the wall, speakers on end-tables) in my old house. I found that during movie time, if I placed the speakers facing upward it DID seem to provided a better rear surround effect. Due to the WAF, I would place them back into the upright postion when done.

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
What kind of WAF probalems do you have?

You might be able to get some speaker mounting brackets that are "longer" and swivle more than normal. I have mine mounted on the side walls they stick ou about a foot from the wall. If you got some brackets that stuck out 2 feet and the speakers would "swivle" inwards you could mount the brackets to the back walls but still have the speakers facing each other?

I see you have a self on the back wall. Could you get way with some narrow shelves that stick out from the back wall and sit the speakers facing each ther on them?

I can't think of a "pretty" way to do it but if you could lve with "brackets" of some kind even home made ones that is the only way I can think of to get those speakers mounted and facing each other?

What kind of speakers are they dimensions, and would you condier trading them for something else?

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
Question: Can you (meaning "anyone") put the RS-3iis on swivel brackets? I've toyed with buying a pair, but I don't have an optimal flat wall for both of them...

Your cat has an Amityville Horror vibe going on...you know, the "Get out!" shiny eyes thing.
:)

Best regards,
~~Nathan

Daniel Hawl

Agent
I've thought about the wall brackets faced inward thing, I'm just worried about how friggin heavy these speakers are and how shoddy my walls are. I'd obviously mount them to a stud but jesus christ these speakers are anything but light, and I can't really spend a metric ton on brackets considering how far overboard I've gone already with this

(read : I went from buying a cheapo panny tv, Klipsch Quintets, and a cheapo used reciever.. to a Toshiba Cinema Series HDTV, Reference series speakers, and a Denon 1082..)

The WAF isn't TOO much of an issue, mainly just the money concerns at this point after all of the little things Ive had to buy like wire, cable, blah blah blah. Would mounting them facing inward on shelves about 3feet above head point but not behind at all be a good solution?

Also, hilariously enough the cats in the images are different cats. The first image, the one that looks evil, shows my tiny tiny good cat, while the second image shows my evil Main Coon.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Holy Cow! I didn't notice that that was a cat in the 1st picture, thought it was a lamp. That is freaky. Anyways, another option you could try would be to hang some plant hangers (macrame's I believe they are called) from the ceiling and put the speakers in them and point them however you want. Not the most asthetic solution, but a cheap one.

Rex Quinn

Agent
Would mounting them facing inward on shelves about 3feet above head point but not behind at all be a good solution?
This is what I've done, and I was in pretty much the same situation. To the right was a window, and to the left the wall turned into a door, while seating was directly against the wall. For a while I had my speakers mounted on some shelves I put up earlier that were just about ear level. I raised them up about 2 1/2 feet above my head and turned the speakers completely inward, and it's made a pretty big differance. While of course not actually behind me at all, this placement does very well for creating the illusion of sounding behind you. I've tried several setups for the rear speakers, and this one is by far the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks