What's new

Yamaha RX-V2600 (1 Viewer)

Gralen

Stunt Coordinator
As for reliablity of a yamaha I still have a old prologic yamaha thatI hook up yesterday and it still works. It has to be about 9 years old I have a 1200 that have not given me any trouble.

Bill_Mis

Stunt Coordinator
Yamaha's have been incredibly reliable for me. I had an integrated amp from them bought in 1987 that still works today as well as a RX-V995 and RX-V3300 which are used in my everyday systems. They are very well made and given proper care and ventilation, will last a long time.

Robert Ham

Agent
I think you nailed it!! Given the correct ventilation. HEAT is a killer when it comes to Electronics. A small whisper fan plugged into one of the AC power sockets will help keep the air moving across the Heat Sinks and the unit will just run cooler. Some amplifiers will place a internal FAN on the amplifier. YAMAHA does not. If they did the engineering correctly, and they have already HARDENED the unit with components that have high heat tolerances and oversize Heat Sinks, then a FAN might not be required, but it will not hurt your equipment in the long term! My Toshiba TV set has a common part failure due to Small heat sinks on the part. I replaced it and installed a heat sink that was 4 times the original. So far, so good!! I may have to wait till after Christmas to get the 2600 because I am so busy I don't have time to tear apart my present SONY system and replace it. Also into the mix is a new 62" HDTV set. I need to add 2 more speakers when going from 5.1 to 7.1 .. Just part of my 8 year upgrade of my home system. My main interest is radio collecting. I collect Short Wave radios from the 60's 70's and 80's. With over 300 radios, I have plenty to keep me busy! ;) ;) ;)

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
how much watt per channel can the 2600 do, all channels driven? i know it is rated at 130 watt per channel, but i got a feeling that in reality, in home theater use / all 7 channels are being used, it can only have around 100 watt per channel. is this true?

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
someone over avsforum posted a link to a geocities page with information about different brands of receivers. it was actually a table, based on reviews by sound and vision magazine.

the yammies real watts per channel were usually +/- 25 percent off the written watts per channel ( on the spec ).

i have the link bookmarked on my office pc, but i am now at home.

Robert Ham

Agent
I would also be interested in seeing this. I am sure it depends on the CLASS of receiver. I wold hope the RX-V2600 would be higher rated then the HTR series of receivers!

Robert Ham

Agent
I did not see anything NEW on the site??? I am sure a lot has changed in the last 2 years as more higher end receivers are now THX certified! :frowning:

Dave_M

Agent
Real Name
David Martin
I've had the 2600 for about a month now and really like it. Bought it at Ultimate in St. Paul and while more $$ than internet, they gave me 3yr. no interest. Had to take that deal! It does run hot, however, and I might get one of those whisper fans mentioned earlier. Subscibed to XM too and have been enjoying this as well. I've replaced a RX-V1200 mainly due to upconversion and the sound delay feature which helps a bit with some sources going into my DLP. Pure Direct is a little confusing though. I used Processing Direct all the time on the 1200, but Pure Direct is a different animal. 2 channel only and no subwoofer output(and no video display). Doesn't really work after you've calibrated with the sub. Most of the time I'm using Straight mode for all inputs. Also I ended up setting all parametric speaker eq to flat after I did the Auto setup feature. I'd be interested to hear more people's observations about this feature.

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
I have a 2600 just new a week ago and am very happy with it.

I bought it for HDMI passthrough and component/analog passthrough.

The advantage of the 4600 is the iLink which lets you do SACD/DVD-A over optical which is not an option for the 2600, or most other recievers for that matter.

The 4600 does not do component/analog passthrough either only HDMI I believe.

My Motorola HD DVR cable box would NOT passthrough via DVI to HDMI. I'd get a picture for a second then nothing. I just put my OTA and Yamaha C950 DVD Changer on HDMI and did the DVR on component. Its nice to be able to plug everything into the reciever and switch especially for those of us with TV's with 1 HDMI/DVI connection.

Autosetup did wonders for me on the digital side. I still need to tweak it a bit but the sound was far better and more suited for my room in regards to movies.

The odd thing was I ran it 3 times and each time I got a different result. Mostly it bumped up things and I was getting too much from the fronts. Last time around it bumped up the sub and lowered everything else and it sounds perfect.

Music I use 6 channel analog so the processor does nothing at all except be a passthrough and amp. I have a second box on order to handle the bass management for the DVD-A and SACD outputs. This box also creates a .1 channel for regular CD's and it should be all I use.

My only complaint and its not THAT bad is the time it takes to swap sources or become aware a source is there. If I shut it off on DVD and then turn on the unit, then the DVD player it takes upto 30 seconds for the DVD player to wake up the connection unless I switch off of DVD and back onto it, then it takes about 3-4 seconds. That being said the unit is very smart, and so was Yamaha how it handles inputs. Took me an hour or so to map it all out but once its done its very simple to use.

Robert Ham

Agent
I was wondering how you placed the microphone for YAPO??? Some folks sit it on the couch or chair or floor??? My intention will be to place it on a camera tripod so the microphone is exactly where my HEAD will be when I am sitting in the chair or on the couch-sofa. I like the memory options. I have 3 locations I can sit in the room, and this way I can optimize the YAPO for these 3 locations and then store them in the 1 of 6 memory slots! 2600 has XM, 4600 has HD Digital AM-FM radio. I am sure future radios will have Both options. :emoji_thumbsup:

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
I put it on a tripod on the couch where I sit and let it do its thing.

It is very accurate so make sure you leave the ambient sound as it normally is.

We run our furnace fan 24 hours a day. Its not loud but in a silent room you can hear the air moving in the background. Its not loud by any means at all. The first time I tuned it I turned the fan off and got OK results.

I tried it again with the blower running and this time the results were totally different and the sound was much better.

EdClay

Agent
Question on the 4600 HD Radio. Here in Knoxville,TN we have
one station that broadcasts in HD. Will the 4600 pickup
regular FM stations as well?

I'm still leaning toward the Yamaha, but How would you guys say the Pioneer VSX-74TXVi compares to the 2600 and the 4600???

Dave_M

Agent
Real Name
David Martin
Fellow 2600 users,
I'm trying to do something suggested in another post and am stumped. I'm trying to enable Dpl IIx(Movie) while a 5.1 signal is playing. It looks in the manual that this is possible but nothing I do works except to send the audio as PCM instead of Dolby Digital. Been reading that Dpl IIx does a better job on the back surround(s) than does forcing DD EX. If I hit the Ext. Surround button on the remote, I can get DD EX or Dpl IIx(Music), but not Movie. Can anyone help?

Robert Ham

Agent
I can't help you right now??? I hope to be picking up my 2600 today, and then I can't start to try and figure it all out! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks