1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha RX-V2600

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Robert Ham, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Robert Ham

Robert Ham Agent

As I search around for a new receiver in the $1000 price range I seem to have focused on the new Yamaha RX-V2600 but have not ruled out the 4600 higher end unit. The 4600 has HD Digital AM-FM built in, the 2600 does not. The 2600 has XM satellite. Some audio files at work have told me that for Movie Sound that I will like the Yamaha sound over the Pioneer VSX-72/74 and the Denon equipment.. However in the end I like RELIABLE equipment that will run for years without problems. So a few questions! Many of you have been doing this for years so do you feel that YAMAHA makes reliable equipment that performs as advertised in the RX-V line? Is the low THD spec of .04 % a true representation of the quality of the YAMAHA? One thing for sure my new HDTV set wants HDMI signals from my cable box and DVD to pass through the Receiver. Any reported issue with the YAMAHA HDMI pass through? I am new to the forum and hope to learn some important points from many of you that are far more knowledgeable about this than I am. Robert in San Diego! [​IMG]

2. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

I cannot comment on the HDMI pass through issue but I have been running an RXV-2092 for eight years with no problems.
    The only reason I wish to upgrade from mine is a more up to date feature set. You will do well with either, Audioholics on this site even gave receiver of the year awards to the 4600.

3. Robert Ham

Robert Ham Agent

Thanks for the update!! I was told today at a HI-FI store that they got a technical bulletin that said Yamaha WOULD pass HDMI from a cable box but NOT Denon or Pioneer! That is good to know.. That HDMI feed is from a SA set top HD DVR box used by Cox.

4. JoanPablo_T

JoanPablo_T Stunt Coordinator

the 2600 is a good choice. Has Hdmi upconversion all the way from composite, and can even be used as a scaler for your sources. All video inputs can be scaled to 1080i or 720p.

in contrast, the 4600 does have HD Radio and Firewire for DVD-Audio/SACD. So good luck on the decision!

[​IMG]

jp

5. Scott Mullen

Scott Mullen Extra

I'm looking at the 2600 and the 4600 too as I'm looking at getting a new receiver soon...

I don't really see enought difference in the 4600 to make it worth the extra cash over the 2600...

Do any of you???

6. Robert Ham

Robert Ham Agent

I should take the plunge here in a bout a week for the 2600. The 2600 has XM satellite the 4600 does not but the 4600 has DIGITAL RADIO from AM and FM radio stations. SO for me I will stick with the 2600 and if I get the bug for digital radio I can get a portable radio for $350.00. With XM satellite you get hundreds of stations, with local FM digital only a few stations even here in San Diego. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] :b

7. Bill_Mis

Bill_Mis Stunt Coordinator

Neither 2600 or 4600 have XM radio standard. The 2600 has the input for an optional $50 antenna that will allow XM radio to be received and displayed. Actually only the 2600 has that capability. The reason for getting the 4600 mainly is the inclusion of i-link inputs. This allows dvd-audio and sa-cd to have a direct digital input.

The 4600 does have HD radio and if available in your area is a nice subscription-less feature. XM will cost you a monthly fee.

8. Robert Ham

Robert Ham Agent

I am 99% sure that the 4600 Does Not have XM! If it did, I would get that model in a heartbeat, but I will go back and check again!! I think Yamaha figured if you have Digital HD radio, why offer XM. It requires 2 digital decoders for the on screen menu readout. Let me check on this.

9. Robert Ham

Robert Ham Agent

I have checked again! The 4600 Does Not have XM ready feature only HD radio. But the 2600 and 1600 do. I already have an XM antenna that is authorized for my ETON E-1 radio, so all I need to do is plug it into the 2600! The authorization is done inside the antenna not the radio thus the name XM ready. The 2600 is by far the best value in the Yamaha line. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Scott Mullen

Scott Mullen Extra

Sorry to Jack the thread and change topic, but...........

How do you find out what stations are HD in your area or are going HD???? I'velooked at a few of their webpages and did not see anything...

Up to this point, I've not heard anything about HD Radio... I know what it is and what it supposedly offers, but nothing of content...

I've only been hearing about XM and Sirius...

11. Jeff O.

Jeff O. Stunt Coordinator

Scott,
    In the November Sound and Vision Mag there is a nice article on HD radio. If I remember they list a lot of stations. You might check there. The article could be on their website.

12. Robert Ham

Robert Ham Agent

This will show you California. Not sure what state you are in??? But you can also enter your state! Replace my MMM with www in the below address

mmm.ibiquity.com/cgi-bin/liststations?state=CA&sort=StnOnAir

13. Bill_Mis

Bill_Mis Stunt Coordinator

Robert,

My apologies on the 4600 and the XM input. You are correct the 2600 only has that feature. I've corrected my inaccurate post. I am a big Yamaha fan and currently have the RX-V3300 and am considering the 4600.

14. Robert Ham

Robert Ham Agent

No Problem. You need to be a Rocket Scientist sometimes to figure out what is different on certain models. Sometimes I think it is the way they advertise the product intentionally leaving out one important difference. I am still trying to figure out the difference between the Toshiba 62MX195 and 62HM195 HDTV I have been looking to purchase this week? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Scott Mullen

Scott Mullen Extra

I was just at the local Ultimate and they have this unit in stock for 1299.99, but is maked as a Closeout???

I thought this was one of Yamaha's newer boxes. What gives?

16. Robert Ham

Robert Ham Agent

???? The RX-V2600 has only been out a few months!!! Are you sure it was not the older 2500?? Does not add up?? [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Scott Mullen

Scott Mullen Extra

I agree... Thats what I was thinking too, but I looked at the tag again and I looked at the actual Receiver to see if maybe they mis marked it, but it said 2600 right on it...

I waited around for like 20 minute to talk to someone about it but they were pretty busy, I guess with it being so close to Christmas...

I didn't have the money anyway, so I'm glad I didn't, cause I might bought it anyway...

18. Robert Ham

Robert Ham Agent

How much was the 2600??? Internet prices are $900 to $995 right now, but the warranty becomes an issue unless you get it at the right on line store![​IMG]

19. Scott Mullen

Scott Mullen Extra

I guess that was a bit high, but then again, this Ultimate is a Brick and Morter store vs on the Internet...

The price wasn't buggin me so much as why it was marked as closeout... I may go back there this weekend and ask about it if I get a chance...

20. Robert Ham

Robert Ham Agent

That is HIGH for a closeout!!! $1000 would be a better price