What's new

Yamaha RX-V1400 as pre/pro (1 Viewer)

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Just curious if anyone out there is using the new Yamaha RX-V1400 as a pre/pro or as standalone. How does it sound? Currently I'm running a Marantz AV560U pre/pro(with RC5000i remote) but would like to upgrade if I can sell it. The 1400 looks like a promising match for my Rotel RMB-1095. You just can't step into a dedicated pre/pro with all the bells and whistles for that price.

Kevin

Andrew Skegg

Auditioning
I am about to upgrade my stereo system to 5.1 surround and have done a lot of searching and reading.

Finally settled on Paradigm Studio 40, 470 and ADP speaker system mated to a Rotel RMB1095 amp and my new (ebay) Yamaha RX-V1300 (sound familiar?)

I note your pic in another thread - this is alomost exactly what i am aiming for. How do you find it?

If you do decide to go down this path I would love to know the outcome.

VicQ

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin,

I'm using the 1400 as a pre/pro mated with the rotel 1070 for the fronts and the 1075 for the rest of the channels. I personally like it. I can't say if it's better than others as I've always owned Yamaha receivers. However, the 1400 has the most features ever, and the YPAO it's very useful to get the best sound out of your particular room.

-Vic

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Thanks for the replies.

Finally settled on Paradigm Studio 40, 470 and ADP speaker system mated to a Rotel RMB1095 amp and my new (ebay) Yamaha RX-V1300 (sound familiar?) I note your pic in another thread - this is alomost exactly what i am aiming for. How do you find it?
Andrew are you going with all v3 for the Paradigms? They are truly amazing is all I can say. The 1095 is a beast of an amp. It will easily power the Paradigms. I will caution you that some people myself included got a bad buzzing sound coming from the speakers when hooking up a 1095 to our setups. I was able to solve my issue(grounding issue) and now the noise is only heared with your ears right up next to the speaker(the volume of the noise does not change with inc/dec of volume of my pre/pro. Other than that the 1095 makes my speakers sing. As far as the Yamaha goes it could be a couple of days before I pick one up. I would prefer to sell my Marantz first so as to minimize the cost. Also my local dealer has some RXV2300 on for $999CDN where as the RXV1400 is $1199. Which one should I get?

Kevin

Andrew Skegg

Auditioning
Yes - all the latest Paradigm speakers and thanks for the ground loop hint.

You have a tough choice.

The features seem very similar, except :

RXV1400:
- 7 x 110W amp (not important for you)
- THX (nice)
- Nice video switching/converting (nice)
- Automatic surround setup (YPAO) (no match for the human ear, but a good start point)

RXV2300
- 6 x 110W amp (not important for you)
- Macro capable remote (nice)

If I were you I would be tempted to get the RXV1400 just for THX (if movies are your thing).

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Kevin, the 1400 makes a very good prepro. In addition to the above comparison made with the 2300, I'd like to add that the 1400 also adds DTS 96/24 and the newer 1400s should have PL-IIx.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Well I went out and bought the 1400 before selling of my Marantz. Oh well. So far I've just got the unit hooked up and speaker settings done(small, sub, etc). Haven't used the Auto Calibration(YPAO) yet or calibrated with the sound meter. I did throw in a couple of disks to try it out. All I can say is, "What have I been missing" There is a new level of definition and clarity to movies I've seen that I swear I never heard before. Take for example in the Matrix Reloaded where Neo is fighting all the Mr Jones in the playground. When he grabs the pole and starts hitting them with it you can hear the ping/clanging noise the pole makes as it makes contact. Another thing I noticed is the seperation of surrounds is much cleaner and more defined. Build quality of the unit is excellent with tons of hookups on the back. I've goto dig a little deeper into the manual to understand all the settings then I can set the unit up right. So far I'll give it :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Kevin

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
2400 = 24/192 for all channels
If you read the manual of the 1400 is says:

192kHz/24-Bit Digital-to-Analog Converters

The RX-V1400 uses extremely high
performance 192kHz/24-bit digital-to analog converters for all 7 channels.

Kevin

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Yep in Canada for sure! In the US make sure it has the sticker on the box or that the dealer will take it back if it doesn't. From what I've read the ones at www.6ave.com do have it and people are getting it as a substitue if you order the RX-V1300(and at the 1300 price).

Kevin

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Yep, my mistake, the 1400 does have zone 3. Looking at the comparision chart on Yamha's website, the only real differences I can see are that the 2400 has lip-sync delay adjustment (of special interest to FP/scaler users), a macro capable remote, RS232C interface and 10 more watts per channel. Since the usage is as a pre-pro, power out is meaningless and 110 vs. 120 watts is negligible anyway.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Damn, Yamaha's website doesn't mention LS delay for the 1400, but it is listed prominently in the features section for the 2400.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks