What's new

Problem with Yamaha RX-A1000 (1 Viewer)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Something seems to have gone wrong with my Yamaha RX-A1000 receiver. I have had it for about 6 years. I have not used it lately, as my wife just listens to the TV speakers when she is watching TV during the day while I am at work. I turned it on a couple of nights ago and noticed that the display no longer shows the source I am playing. Instead of showing DTS-HD Master or Dolby True HD for a Blu-ray, or Dolby Digital for DirecTV, it now only displays the sound program of the receiver, which is “Straight”

The receiver allows you to choose various sound options, like “Hall in Munich” or “Hall in Vienna”. I never use those modes, as I assume I would have to have the “presence” speakers installed which I chose to forgo. I always leave it on “Straight” on the assumption that the receiver won’t add any extraneous effects I do not want. However, “Straight” is not what used to display on the receiver. It was always the sound being fed into the receiver.

I have checked to see if I inadvertently pushed a button on the remote that may have changed a setting accidentally, but so far nothing seems to make a difference. I have not had a chance to play around to see what the sound is actually like, but I can’t help but think it is not receiving the bitstreamed signal from my players. I tried alternating between my Sony Blu-ray and my Oppo, and it is the same result.

I know there is a firmware upgrade I have not done and can do that this weekend. Any ideas as to what is going on here? What else should I try?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
That's what it does on my RX-V383 which is more recent than yours.

doanster

Auditioning
Real Name
Doan
Yamaha lets you display what you want on the front panel - either the decoder mode (e.g. Dolby Digital) or DSP mode (e.g. Sci-Fi) - press the Info button. If you enable Straight mode (Straight button on the remote), then no decoding nor DSP applies, so "STRAIGHT" is displayed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks