What's new

yamaha or denon for my Def Techs..? (1 Viewer)

umit

Grip
I have a prologic receiver and i think its time to upgrade to a DD amp.. but that's where the strugle starts..i read different opinions about DENON and YAMAHA.. one of them is very interesting :

"...Here is where the big difference comes. I think that this is a matter of sound philosophy employed by the

two companies.

What Denon does is: Bass correction +/- 10dB @100Hz, Treble correction +/- 10dB @ 10kHz. By increasing the bass and treble we are adding too much mid frequency gain to the overall sound picture, thus changing the original sound image too much.

What Yamaha does is: Bass correction +/- 10dB @ 50Hz, Treble correction +/- 10dB @ 20kHz. Adding a 1 or 2 dB of bass or treble will only underline the two extremes of the sound picture, without changing the amplitude of the mid range spectrum at all. The human ear is very sensitive to the frequency range of

1kHz to 5kHz, so any change in the level of this frequency will increase the level of the presence you feel, but it becomes really unpleasant to listen to for a long time.. "

so.. what do you say???

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I've just came from a visit to an electronics store who happened to have Denon and Yamaha along with Marantz hooked up in a home theater room to some Def Tech speakers. Don't remember the model of the DT but they were pretty large.

I was just grazing so didn't get into really "listening with intent"..... but I did notice the Yam 3200 was more dynamic than the Denon 5803. The Marantz was in between but I don't remember the model of it either. Imaging was clearer and easier to hear on the Yam too.

On the bass/ treble thing, typically I don't use either although I have started to use a center eq after I bought a Norh 4.1 prism (for center duty) and it had to be eq'ed to bring it to the dance with the large JBL monitors I use as mains. Still not as good a the JBL S-Center but I love the looks......

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Let me start by saying that I am 95% home theater, and only 5% music.
I have used two different Yamaha receivers with my DefTech 2000tl's and both do a wonderful job. Others will echo that a Yamaha/DefTech combination is great.
But the DefTech speakers are not considered "picky" or hard-to-drive. Others have used Denon with DefTech with great success.
So I'm afraid there is no clear, definitive answer to your choice. Both will be good. :)

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
I recommend using Yamaha with Def Tech. Pretty much everyone I know who has used such a combination has loved the sound. Also, Yamaha is top-notch in terms of reliability. I am using a DSP-A1. Good luck!

Michael Botvinick

Stunt Coordinator
Bob,
I use the Outlaw 1050 to drive my def techs 2000 and they sound great. Cheap your budget. I also bi-wired them and ran a seperate RCA for the sub. They never sounded better for music or movies!
-Michael
[email protected]

Michael Botvinick

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry that was suppose to say "Check" your budget. One thing I would consider if I did it over again would be to buy seperates instead of one unit. I will do this soon. Thats why I asked what your budget was.

KonradM

Auditioning
I don't think you will go wrong with either (I'm a Denon Person) but more importantely. Audition, Audition, Audition and buy what sounds the best to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks