What's new

Denon AVR-4800 will not stay on. (1 Viewer)

wr1u

Auditioning
Real Name
Gary
I have a Denon AVR-4800 surround sound receiver. We had our living room painted and as I was hooking everything back up I accidentally dropped the subwoofer cable across a connecter on the back of the receiver. The receiver was powered up as well as the sub on the def tech bp2002 and I heard a loud crack and smelled something. Now when you turn on the receiver it goes through the start up but when the amps kick in it shuts down. My question is this. Is it DOA? I tried the reset with no results. Could it be a fuse somewhere and if so where? I'm perfectly happy to upgrade to something new but I'd like this to run in the meantime. I am considering a whole host of receivers to replace this. On my list are Denon AVR-4311, 3312ci. Yamaha rx-a3010 or 2010. Onkyo tk-nr5009 or 3009. Pioneer Elite SC-57 or sc-55. Any help would be appreciated. Gary.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Usually when a receiver shuts off it's because a speaker wire or strand is touching something. But it sounds like yours has internal damage. I don't think these new receivers (even your older one) uses regular fuses like they did in the past but if you've already done a factory reset then it wouldn't hurt to pull the top off and have a peek :crazy: . But of course, make sure it's un-plugged. And remember, even then there is the internal backup so there will still be some juice in there. Time for a new receiver anyway, right :D .

wr1u

Auditioning
Real Name
Gary
I kind of figured it was DOA but had to ask anyway. I went to Best Buy tonight and listened to the Pioneer Elite SC-55 and the Denon AVR-3312ci. The sc-55 sounded very full and warm on the Grinch Blu Ray. The Denon sounded like it was straining to do what the SC-55 did and it sounded kind of thin with no punch. I had the sale person pair both receivers with the same Def Tech speakers and blue ray player so there would be continuity. I really liked the sound of the sc-55. I still want to check out the Yamaha rx-a3010 and the Onkyo tk-nr3009. So far the SC-55 has my attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks