What's new

Stereo, 2.0/2.1 -any suggestions?- (1 Viewer)

AndrewLevine

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for a good set of stereo speakers with reciever and possibly a sub. Being a college student I have limited means and would like to keep the entire project under or around $1000 retail. In addition, I am employed by a company that would offer me very fair prices on Denon, Yamaha, Definitive Tech, and Boston Acoustics products.

Originally I wanted to purchase a pair of Def Tech PowerMonitor 500s, yet these are no longer available to me.

I'd like to have:
strong/clean bass
high volumes without losing clarity
90% used for music
good sound for a room roughly 20'x15'

My idea was to get:
Denon AVR-1506
Def Tech StudioMonitors (not sure of size)
Def Tech Sub (again, not sure of size)

If anyone has any suggestions that fall into my rather strict parameters (sorry about that), it would be greatly appreciated.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil

AndrewLevine

Stunt Coordinator
Phil-
Thanks for your time on looking up products for me. While I appreciate that, I realized I was looking more along the lines of getting bookshelf speakers and a sub. Also I was trying to keep it between Def Tech, Boston Acoustics, Denon and Yamaha.

Thanks again,
Andrew

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Maybe consider vintage. If you want to rock out, 1970's JBL or Cerwin Vega hooked up to a Kenwood or Pioneer of the same era.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Andrew,

Normally for a room that size I would recommend the model with the 6-1/2” woofer, but given the fact that the Studio Monitors have built-in subs, I’d say it’s safe to go with the smaller 350 model with the 8-inch “sub.” Naturally, they’re more accurately “woofers” than subwoofers, but with the 8-inch driver you’ll have no problem blending well with a powered subwoofer.

Speaking of that, I’d probably go with at least a 12” model.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

AndrewLevine

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne,

Thanks for the advice. Do you think that if I went with the Studio Monitors with the 10" pressure-driven "sub" I would not need a powered subwoofer? (That option would save me some money for tuition :) ) Either way, between Boston and Def Tech, a 12" seems to be out of my price range, would a 12" Klipsch Synergy series sub, or a JBL 12" Sub (both retail $500) be best, or a smaller Def Tech or Boston sub?

Thanks again,
Andrew

Jeff O.

Stunt Coordinator
Well, from the Deals Page here today you could go with Boston Acoustics CR85 or the 75 for 100 less. This is a great deal on great speakers that are last years model. Add in a PB10 from SVS and that would leave you 3-400 for a receiver, which would give you a lot of choices.

Jeff

AndrewLevine

Stunt Coordinator
So far I have yet to see anyone suggest a Boston Acoustics or Def Tech sub on this forum. Because of my place of occupation, it would be best for me to purchase either of those brands, a Klipsch Sub-10 or Sub-12, or a basic JBL sub. Would anyone suggest a sub from any of these brands that retails for $550 or less?

Howard Cantor

Auditioning
Andrew,
I just bought a JBL PB12 with a set of Polk Monitor70's and a Polk CC. I was pleasantly surprised by the performance of the sub. Granted it isn't an SVS but for the money I thought it was a good deal and since I am on a tight budget I was very happy with the purchase.

mackie

Supporting Actor
Getting a Denon or Yamaha stereo receiver can save some money. Think about a Hsu or Outlaw sub since both companies have one for $299. The receiver and sub will run about $500. Use what you have left for a good pair of bookshelves. You can put together something really nice this way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks