What's new

Yamaha dvd 750 (1 Viewer)

Scott Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator
Any more word on: the HDCD bug; what video and/or audio DACs are used; or any other people want to post impressions on this DVD player?

I'm considering getting one to replace my Toshiba SD4900. Would be nice to have SACD (currently on DVDA), 5-disc (currently single), cd upsampling (anyone notice a difference?), etc.

Thanks,
Scott.

matthewRaz

Stunt Coordinator
been researching this player for at least a month - heres what i've learned :
- higher end version due in spring: c950
-pro review at audioholics
-goes to pro-logic for EVERY disk played (button on remote to set it back off
-upsampling reverts to off for every disk played, must go to onscreen to turn it back on, but people seem not to be able to hear a difference.
-slow disk load times
-tray doesn't rotate when out so loading 2 of 5 disks is a bit "tricky"
-fixed sub-crossover too high
-great price and sound quality (redbook and hi-res) -good video
i'll be buying one this week - despite quirks etc. seems to be impressive for the price

Scott Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Matt. Yeah I was a bit concerned about the load time (I think I read somewhere it's around 18 seconds?) and the crossover point for dvda/sacd (fixed at 120hz?).

Do you have any details on the C950? I tried the news sections on yamaha.com and yamaha.ca and a google search on it and had no luck.

Thanks,
Scott.

Scott Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator
My buddy Jamie found me this link: http://www.cinenow.com/us/article.php3/id,1693/

From that, it sounds like the major changes are an HDMI output and video upconverting to HD. My HDTV only features component in's (no dvi or hdmi) and I've heard that video upscaling is usually not very good. Now if they've allowed an adjustable crossover point and/or sped up the load time it might be worth waiting for.... I wonder how we'd find out?

matthewRaz

Stunt Coordinator
i think the 950 will be better video and more connections etc. for twice the price. i have component only too - but this is primarily going to be my 2-channel audio source. i don't use random play between disks so i'll bite the bullet on the load time. i think this is gonna be a great machine (replacing an old yamaha cd changer). not much competition even at more $

matthewRaz

Stunt Coordinator
i'm only 2-channel but it seems the 1st company to build an affordable universal machine with a variable x-over for the sub will make a mint

DanielKim

Stunt Coordinator
I just received my Yamaha 750 and right out of the box, it knocks the socks off my old Sony SACD player. I just went through listening to my whole CD binder. Went through Eric Clapton Unplugged twice.

matthewRaz

Stunt Coordinator
i got the c750 on mon. sounds great, no pl II on the mixed stereo outs, load time is up to 13 sec. and i've noticed no difference with upsampling (happily because it reverts to off after every disk). i'd like to be able to load it up and close the tray without it starting to play though.
im super impressed with the machine - redbook sounds great over my older yammie cd changer

Scott Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator
Cool thanks for the additional input folks. I'm still a little on the fence. If I end up deciding to return my Pioneer 1014 receiver, I'll probably put the funds into trying out the C750.

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
How is it loading those dics without disc skip? Have you gotten use to remembering to push the audio button on remote to go from the default of pl to stereo?

matthewRaz

Stunt Coordinator
disk skip is the only way to change from remote so i do it that way. i use it as a stereo source so its hooked up with the mixed stereo outs - so no pl II prob. if you have it hooked up for surround, and have an extra input on your receiver use the mixed outs as well and use that for 2-channel.

DanielKim

Stunt Coordinator
You guys do realize that it's the receiver pre/pro that does the decoding if you are using a digital coax/optical. So you really don't have to change the audio modes. If you are using a multi channel out only, then you might have to hit the audio button. But SACDs are the only thing I use with multi channel analogs and you don't have to worry about changing audio modes with SACD.

Dan

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
You cant turn the tray when its open to load disc's. If you have it hooked up the way most users will,dig and 6 analog,it will default to pll each time the cd is switched. Not a big deal but if you forget to put it back on stereo through the remote.

Scott Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator
I did finally pick one of these up late Sunday eve. Haven't had much playing time yet but one thing I notice is the remote is terrible. It's small and awkwardly shaped. There's not enough separation around some "key" keys, such as the cursor buttons. But most importantly, there's no dedicated rewind and fast forward buttons!!! You have to hold down the chapter/track forward/backward buttons for a couple of seconds. I really hate that scheme. I was hoping I could get around it by using my Pioneer 1014 receiver remote, but it doesn't have ANY yamaha dvd codes in the preset codes, and since I don't have a ff/rwd button on the original remote, i can't even learn that into the 1014.

But other than that, so far so good. From a few brief redbook tests I couldn't tell the difference when switching from analog to digital (i have both attached to my receiver and can switch there). Other passages may be more revealing though, or at louder volumes (was late at night).

I'll try to post more thoughts later. I have about 14 or 15 DVD-A's already (previous player was a toshiba SD-4900 DVDA player) and picked up my first two SACDs yesterday.

Cheers,
Scott.

DanielKim

Stunt Coordinator
Right on. I just received my XR50 so I'm about to log off in a few and hook that guy up. Gonna do a side by side with the DA5ES played through NHT superones. Does the tray seem like it's kinda sticky when ejecting? Maybe it's just my imagination....

Dan

Scott Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator
I've finally had a bit of listening time with my player (not a ton but some) and I'm quite happy with it! I can now hear the difference between the analog stereo output (letting the DVD player decode to analog) and the digital stereo output (letting the receiver decode to analog) now that I can turn it up a bit. But they both sound very good. The Receiver seems to produce a brighter sound and adds more depth and dimension. On the other hand, the DVD player also sounds very very good, maybe a bit more neutral, and the bass is punchier (slightly) though not quite as volumous. Both sound very good and it's hard to choose.

The DVD-A's I've listened to so far sound at least as good as they did on my old Toshiba SD-4900, though I do notice the higher xover a bit but still incredible depth and resolution to the sound. The SD-4900 had a few DVD-A bugs that were annoying, like occasional clicks and pops during playback (subtle), and menu problems with a few discs like Santana's Supernatural, none of which have appeared on the C750.

My first SACD listening experience with Godsmack's "the other side" in 5.1 was very positive, it sounds very very good. Both high-res MC formats sound very good to me. The other disc I bought, "Chicken N Beer" by Ludacris wasn't as impressive but has potential. I only heard a bit of it so far though.

I'd definitely say this player is a keeper and I can live with its quirks just fine.

Loading the rear discs isn't too bad, just takes a tiny bit of care to avoid roughing them up. And I think you only need to go from pl to stereo if you're using the mutli-channel outputs. If you're using the stereo analog outputs or the digital output, all you get is stereo anyway. I can't hear any difference between stereo and pl modes on the stereo analog output.

Cheers,
Scott.

DanielKim

Stunt Coordinator
So the sticky ordeal is normal. Whew. The XR50 is amazing. Soundstage (depth and resolution as you said) is much bigger and in depth moreso than the DA5ES. Also, the individual instruments, voices are more distinguishable with the Panasonic as well. One thing that I do notice however are the dynamics of the Panasonic are not as greater than the Sony unit, but sounds damn good. I found myself listening to Eric Clapton unplugged track #13 over and over again.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks