What's new

XBOX Progressive Scan hacked !!! (1 Viewer)

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
Seems like some enterprising young men have hacked progressive scan output for XBOX, can a mod chip with functionality built in be far off?
Link Removed

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
For DVDs

Progressive Scan was pulled at the 11th hour due to macrovision issues, as suspected it was just a matter of finding the right value

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
this mentions "DVDRegionX" - I thought that was a product that was coming out - similar to the PS2 product that enables you to switch regions. However, it sounds like it's out - almost makes me think this is an ISO you can download or something (yeah yeah, not sure if it's legal, so don't post a link.) But, does anyone know? i'd kill to have my Xbox multi-region progressive, since I could get rid of my JVC Multi-region progressive scan player and get something I like better.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I've yet to see any direct evidence to support a claim that Datel's XBox edition of DVD Region X is anything other than vapourware. It was announced before the UK release (they are a UK company), with a release date of about a month after the release. That release date has been moved back a month every single month; like the proverbial cowboy plumbers they always claim it'll be finished in four weeks, but don't actually seem to be getting anywhere with it.

The Gamecube Freeloader disc from the same company, to allow imports to be played without hardware modification, has been doing the same trick, by the way.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Actually, now I've read the thread, it appears that they are talking about a very different DVD Region X; this one appears to be a piece of software for hacked XBoxes that allows them to play DVDs without purchasing the dongle.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
Yeah, it does appear to be different. I could care less about buying the dongle - I bought one at launch but have yet to use it - I just want Progressive scan & region free w/o a modchip. With Xbox live, I'm assuming there is always a chance MS will be able to detect a mod and do something to my xbox or shut of my live account or something. I want to play the games and such - just would really like to get a better main DVD player and also not add any more to the number of components in my system (and still maintain progressive scan multi-region play.) I think the xbox would be a great solution - and could probably make a high quality dvd player - it's certainly got the graphics horsepower.

Conroy Tesa

Stunt Coordinator
You need a modchip for this to work.
So now the xbox (modded) is region free/prgressive scan/and converts Pal->NTCS.
And no apparent layer change!

MMM xbox!

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
The Gamecube Freeloader disc from the same company, to allow imports to be played without hardware modification, has been doing the same trick, by the way.
Freeloader STILL isn't available, Iain. Datel keep delaying & delaying it.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Oh, I know Brian - thats what I mean. The guys slavering for Freeloader have been facing the same "Yay, only a week until release", "Boo, the release date has been pushed back a month" routine that I have with the XBox region free disc. Personally, I think that Datel have missed the boat with Freeloader - everyone I know who wanted it wanted to play Sunshine early, and thats out in the UK in just over a week.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
To try to clarify what I think the thread is about:
DVDx is a region-free DVD player for the XBox. You need a mod-chip equipped XBox to use it, however.
Progressive scan output was supposed to be one of the features on the XBox and it was removed at the last minute due to licensing/copyright issues.
A hacker has identified two code changes that you can make to the XBox Dashboard and to the DVDx software that permits you to use the Xbox as a region-free progressive DVD player.
This is large.

Bruce_S

Second Unit
This is very cool news. I have a reason to get the xbox now. I lost interest in it once I found out MS removed the progressive scan feature at launch. Now with news, I'm thinking of getting one. Has any HTF members try this out yet? If so, any issues with dvd playback in progscan mode?

Thanks in advance,
bruce

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I think joe meant like how they'd program something or hack something like that, like the program to enable Progressive Scan.

Now if only they can get the Xbox to scale up DVDs to 1080i :p)

Conroy Tesa

Stunt Coordinator
I got the xbox working in progressive mode on my sony 36xbr400. It works but hard to see the difference between it and the DRC on the Sony
Any suggestions on what to look for?

Conroy Tesa

Stunt Coordinator
Well the unsigned code must be loaded..;)
It works
I just ordered some Region 2 dvd from HKL
New version of the Killer, Way of the dragon and Fists of Fury

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks