Damn Pirates!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StevenK, May 8, 2002.

1. StevenK

StevenK Second Unit

--rant---

I've been reading the news on the NeoX and ProjectX and whatever mod chips there are on the horizon. I'm all for doing whatever the hell you want with YOUR OWN system. If you can hack it to do progressive scan, add a bigger hard drive, play backups you actually own (quite a legitimate reason if you have kids), etc... But it seems the main goal of these projects is so one can play copies of games which were recently released to the net. Screw all these ISO rippers and the people who illegally download them.

I'm no fan of Micro$oft and I know they're gonna get big chunks of change from all the XBox games sold...but I'm a huge fan of developers like Bungie and Sega and I am quite happy to continue to support them by BUYING the games I like instead of pirating them. If a single purchase helps Bungie develop the next Halo, then I am more than happy to do my part.

Pirating had a significant part in the Dreamcast's death, IMO. I don't want to see that happy with an equally superlative system like the XBox or PS2.

I know some argue that games are too expensive for such low gaming value. Ya know what? Then don't buy them! If you're too poor to afford a game, you shouldn't be playing a game...get off your fat @ss and get a frickin' job (that's a joke btw) or go do your damn homework. I'm in grad school and living on a grad student pay. Some of you might know what that's all about. Hell, I can barely afford to pay rent AND beer so I obviously can't buy every game I want. I buy what I can after careful research and rent the ones that might have a lower gaming value. But you know what I don't do? I don't pirate.

--end rant--

PS. It doesn't cost MS just $1 to make a game with the DVD stamping machine. Think 12 software engineers and artists sitting in their cubicules for 1 1/2 years coding games cost nothing?

2. DeanWalsh

DeanWalsh Second Unit

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

What I love is that Sony has successfully kept people from playing legit imports, but has not been able to stop the pirate copies.

Guys, you make money no matter where the game is from!

Sega understood this, Nintendo understands this. Make modding your system an annoyance, but make playing copies a total bitch and a half.

MS it seems has taken a middle road. I don't know anyone that's managed to hack the region lock, but I bet it won't be too hard. Physically crippling the system to not read CD-R has been a great step in killing the pirates

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

It's pretty funny, I hang out in #xbox on efnet and when word of NeoX got out there was a 500% population increase in that channel. Right now there are 628 usernames there. People only got interested in the Xbox after a hack has been found. Very sad, reminds me of vultures circling around waiting to strike.
    Although none of my consoles are chipped or hacked, and I have a job, I still say $50 is too much for a single game. [​IMG] I thought they were expensive in high school and I still think they are expensive close to graduating college. That's just the way it is I guess. But piracy is never justified.

5. StevenK

StevenK Second Unit

I agree with the $50 price tag being too much. Consider newly released PC games with arguably much more gaming value built in...new releases a Best Buy and Circuit City can be had for ~$30 (the recent Jedi Knight release comes to mind).

Nevertheless, that's no excuse to pirate. I wonder if these pirates have the balls to go into Circuit City and take $50 from the cash register?