What's new

Xbox Live not responding?!?! (1 Viewer)

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
WTF??? I get Xbox Live home and try to create an account, and this is what happens. I went to network settings and it connected to the xbox live servers, but when I try to create an account I get the Xbox Live is not responding. What the hell is this crap??? Is there too many people trying to register??? Now I have to wait till Sunday to register and my gamertag will probably be taken, then I'll be pissed..

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Welcome to the wonderful world of online gaming.

Please leave your patience at the door.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Are you using a router?
No, I have the DSL going to my computer through USB. Then I have a crossover cable from the xbox to a nic card. This is the same configuration I used when I played online using xbconnect. Thats why I don't understand why it won't work.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
xbconnect and Xbox Live are completely different animals...

Have you tried connecting the Xbox directly to your DSL, and seeing if that works?

You might also need to set the MAC address on the Xbox to match your PCs MAC address...

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I can't connect xbox directly to the dsl modem because it is a USB modem. Apparently other people are having this problem too, too many people are trying to register at once. I hope this is the problem.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
The xbox is connected to my computer through a crossover cable, which is a CAT5 cable. I just talked to a customer service rep and he said that MS has been performing last minute server maintenance which is probably why I'm having problems.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
MS has been performing last minute server maintenance which is probably why I'm having problems.
Yep, have you tried recently Paul? A friend of mine just called me about the starter kit setup (he was having issues setting it up for PPPOE). Once I got him going he was able to get his tag in and register right away. Give it a shot.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Thanks Romier, the only problem is that I tried to set it up on my lunch break, and I'm now at work. So I'm now going to home real quick after work to see if I can get it set up before I have to go out of town.

Is my setup right Romier?

What I mean is, if I do the connect thing through network settings on the xbox live menu and it connects, the problem is NOT on my end, right???

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
What I mean is, if I do the connect thing through network settings on the xbox live menu and it connects, the problem is NOT on my end, right???
Shouldnt be..no. If you run through the network setup and you get a connection you should be good to go and ready to connect to Live. MS was doing maintenance earlier today (I got several reports are work about connection issues on Live since the ISP I work for is one of those "Live Compatible" brands). A call to MS pretty much confirmed the last minute maintenance but like I said it seems to be complete and ready to go. Give it a shot when you get home and don't worry, we'll help you through it man:D.

Jon W H

Stunt Coordinator
I signed up today.

Not without having some issues, either. It wouldn't automatically configure my connection. I kinda figured that since nobody was really answering any questions about college LAN setups. So, I asked my network administrator where I could find the settings of my connection so I could manually set them.

He told me to look up the properties of my TCP/IP in Network Neighborhood (I'm using Win98SE). Well, great. Problem was, all of those things were blank! (I think the LAN was setup to automatically detect my settings.) Not what the XBox wanted.

But not all was lost. A friend of mine told me to run "winicfg".

That gave me all the necessary info I needed and I'm set!

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
No, it can still be a problem on your end. This is the exact problem people with unsupported routers had. You could go through all the connection tests, and everything would say it was okay, but when you went to actually login to the service to sign up, no go.

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
No, it can still be a problem on your end. This is the exact problem people with unsupported routers had. You could go through all the connection tests, and everything would say it was okay, but when you went to actually login to the service to sign up, no go.
Yes, unfortunately, I had the same problems - the connection tests told me I was good, but I got XBox Live Not Responding. My solution was to get a new router, one that I knew would work.

I feel for you if you can't connect...I am so fortunate to have been in the Beta and discovered my problems before everything went live.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
No, it can still be a problem on your end. This is the exact problem people with unsupported routers had.
Ah, wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the info Joel, may have solved one of my other buddies issues with getting one:D.
Good news is I was playing Mechassault tonight for a good hour and a half and performance was as good as it was 2 nights ago. Let see how later tonight goes when everyone really starts getting on.

Peter Loan

Second Unit
Wow, used my router which is on the "does not work" list and low and behold, I just plugged it and it worked immediately with no hassles. I'm using a cheap D-Link 604 that I picked up for $30.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Netgear had some instructions for getting Xbox Live! to work on their website; I tried it, and so far it's been spotty. But I don't know if that's Xbox Live!'s fault or Netgears, because when it does work, it works beautifully.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
I thought you should only use a crossover cable to go from Xbox to Xbox? Maybe you should be using a standard cat5 cable? My buddy has his hooked up directly to his cable modem with a standard cable, and I've got mine running through a router with a standard cable. Long shot, but maybe that's it?

The other thing I had to do to get my friend running is turn his modem off for a few minutes. I turned it off for about 20 seconds and he continued to get "Could not resolve IP address", so I called Cox tech support and he told me to turn it off for longer (to clear out the memory I guess). Seemed stupid, but I tried that and it worked like a charm.

Seems every time he switches from his computer to his Xbox he is going to have to turn his modem off to clear out its memory. Until he gets a router, that is.

Anyway, good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks