What's new

Xbox Live not responding?!?! (1 Viewer)

Tom_J

Agent
x-over cable is the right one to use in Paul_Fisher's scenerio. You would use a regular cat5 when plugging into devices like hubs, routers, etc. But you need it crossed over when you plug nic-to-nic, ie: xbox to pc's nic.

Have you tried to manually configure the IP?

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
OK, here is my situation now. Romier_S was kind enough to help me last night before I went out of town. I'm in Auburn right now for the Auburn - Georgia game today so I'm not next to my xbox.

But here is the situation. I have the Alcaltel Speedtouch USB modem which connects only to my computer through my USB port. This is how the modem gets its power, through the USB port. The phone line (RJ-11) comes into the modem and the modem to the computer through USB.

My DSL is Bellsouth Fast Access DSL, whenever I turn on my computer, I must "connect" to bellsouth using my username and password. The connection stays on as long as my computer is running or I disconnect it through "my connections" on my network places. This means that bellsouth uses PPPoe (?) to give me an ip address everytime I sign on. So, I put all my configurations in the xbox to automatic and set the PPPoe with my username and password. This doesn't work. It connects with "tests" that the xbox runs, but I get the dreaded "Xbox live is not responding" when I try to create my account. I also have ICS turned on so my xbox can use my computers internet connection. I have also tried putting the mac address in and seeing if that works, however I don't know if I'm doing it right.

When I run IP config, I get information for my modem, and information for the LAN connection(nic to xbox) and I get confused on what information is what.

If anybody knows what to do please let me know. I'll have to try it when I get home on Sunday. I might just end up having to buy the cheapest router that is compatible with Live, but I don't want to spend the extra money if I don't have to.

I'm so frustrated because the way I have my Xbox hooked up seems so simple, but alas it will not work.

Please help if you can.
Thanks

Leo

Second Unit
You don't happen to have a modchip in your Xbox do you?
There appears to be a kerberos authentication problem that affects both modded Xbox and non-modded Xbox. Not all Xbox that are virgin are impacted. But most all modded ones are. More details can be found here: http://www.xbox-scene.com

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
type in
ipconfig /all
The thing that is probably screwing up is the MAC address, this is labled as the physical address with ipconfig. copy it down and enter it without the dashes in the advanced section of Live.

Dean

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Anyone having the problem of getting Xbox live to respond when trying to upgrade from the beta to the retail disc?

I've had no problems for the past month. Haven't played any live since it went country wide. Put in my new Live disc. Tried to play MotoGP and it tells me that my Xbox needs to update. Well...it goes to the update screen and just sits and sits and sits. Then, "not responding". But, I can connect no problem, through the dashboard; check and see who's online, access my account, ect.

Anyone else run into this? I'm wondering if it's just a simple matter of too many beta testers trying to do the same thing? I tried Friday night.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Well, I've tried everything and still can't get XBL to work. I've called MS tech support 3 different times and no one can fix my problem. I'm beginning to think my modem is the problem. Who knows...

Would anybody here be using Bellsouth FastAccess DSL with the Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem?

If you do please help me...

BrianS

Stunt Coordinator
Paul, I am in Birmingham, AL as well & just signed up to Xbox Live last night. I was having the same problems as you. I have the same modem & DSL carrier as well.

I could not get it to work thru my Linksys router (which I believe is a firewall problem on my part somewhere). I had to go the the PPPOE settings & put in my user name (which is your email address with Bellsouth) & then my password. The password is what you chose when you signed up with them. You may have to call them. I guessed at mine b/c could not remember it & got lucky.

I had to hook the ethernet cable directly into my Alcatel modem & bypass my router. I am going to work on that issue later. If anyone has a suggestions on that issue, I would be glad to talk to them about it.

Any questions, please email me & since you are right here in Birmingham, we could talk by phone if that helps. By the way...War Eagle! I will be at the Auburn-Bama game this weekend!

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I think you have a different modem than me. My Alcatel modem doesn't even have an ethernet port on it, just USB.

But I called Bellsouth and they are sending me one of new Westell ethernet modems that will have the ethernet port that I can plug the xbox into. So hopefully by tomorrow I'll have it up and running.

What about the MAC address stuff, did you have to enter a MAC address or anything??

Thanks for your help & War Eagle!!

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Ok, I read your setup. So you have your DSL modem connected to your PC via USB cable. You PC logs into your account by PPPoe. So once it's one, it's on till you manually log off, or turn PC off. Your Xbox is connected to your PC's NIC card with a x-over cable.

So basically, your PC is now a ROUTER. With that said, any info reguarding MAC address, PPPoe accoutns, etc, do not matter as far as your Xbox is concerned. If you have ICS turned on, XP has a limited DHCP server which should automatically assign an IP to your Xbox. You NIC also needs an "internal IP", which is different from your modem's IP.

Now I haven't used XP, but I use Win2k Pro all the time (home and work). I think it's pretty similar. You'll need to check if you have TCP/IP installed for both NIC and Modem. I assume you do. Have you tried manually setting DHCP server & DNS server IP's on Xbox to the IP of your NIC?

Mike D.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
When I run ipconfig /all in dos window, I get configurations for the PPP adapter and for the LAN connection(I'm assuming this is NIC). You'll have to forgive me because I'm at work, but I remember my NIC's IP address I believe is 192.168.0.1. OTher than that I don't really know what to do. The DHCP is configured as NO, I do remember seeing physical address for both PPP adapter and LAN, and two DNS addresses.

When I get home from work I will tell you everything I see when I run ipconfig /all if you think that would help. Is all the information I need in that command?

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Sounds like your on the right track so far. Basically we want Windows to ASSIGN an IP to your Xbox. And we want you Xbox to LOOK for a DHCP server (in this case, you WinXP pc) on the network. Once these 2 objectives are met, and you PC is logged into your internet service, there's no reason this should not work, assuming your cable is good.
I'm currently looking into ICS on 2000/XP as it's been over a year since I took my MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) classes. I'll provide more info as I clear out my cobwebs :)
And yes, NIC stands for Network Interface Card... your connection/interface to the LAN.
Mike D.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I can easily intall the service pack if its not already installed, I probably haven't installed it yet if it just came out.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Well, assuming your ICS is setup correctly, check to see if you have a Service Pack installed. On Windows 2000, you would right-click My Computer then select Properties and it will tell you if there's a Service Pack Installed. I assume XP is the same. See pic below:

Mike D.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
The only thing I did to set up the ICS was right click on my DSL dial up in the network connections folder, then went to advanced and checked "share this internet connection with other computers". Is this enough to set it up correctly? There is no option for ICS if I right click on my LAN connection (NIC card).

I'll check to see if I have the service pack installed when I get home from work.

Thanks for you continuing help,
Paul

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
You are correct Paul, that's all that is needed. You share your PPP connection, not the NIC connection (reason why there is no sharing option). And just make sure Xbox Live is setup to it's default, which is to look for a DHCP server. Check Xbox Live's website for more info on that, as I can't remember all the screens and options on it.
If I remember, I'll check in tonight to see how you are doing. Otherwise, I'll check tommorow.
Your Welcome :)
Mike D.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks