What's new
World Wide Stereo

WTF does ARC really suck this bad? (1 Viewer)

WaikikiJason

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
I'm at my wit's end!!! Three receivers, 1 Marantz, 1 Onkyo & 1 Yamaha, all latest models. 2 brand new TVs 1 TCL 75, 1 Samsung 70. I have tried a variety of brand new HDMI cables. No peripherals connected (CD, XBox, etc.). ARC connection rarely ever works. The Marantz/Samsung TV worked for about 3 months then quit!! My brand new out of the box Yamaha TSR-700 wont ARC to our 3 month old TCL 75" 75Q825 - Am I the worst shopper ever? Or is this technology terrible? I just listed everything on craigslist, even the brand new complete set of 7.1 Klipsch RF series. I'm leaving the hobby and buying a damn soundbar. GRRRR so irritated!!!

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I’m guessing you are using your tv as a streaming device and sending the audio signal to your receiver. Unfortunately, ARC is a very poorly implemented standard. I personally recommend keeping your gear and buying a good streaming device (AppleTV, Roku, etc…) and not worrying about trying to use the tv’s built in streaming apps which are usually pretty outdated.

Connect the streaming device to your receiver’s hdmi input and connect the tv to the receiver’s hdmi output and you’ll be good.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm at my wit's end!!! Three receivers, 1 Marantz, 1 Onkyo & 1 Yamaha, all latest models. 2 brand new TVs 1 TCL 75, 1 Samsung 70. I have tried a variety of brand new HDMI cables. No peripherals connected (CD, XBox, etc.). ARC connection rarely ever works. The Marantz/Samsung TV worked for about 3 months then quit!! My brand new out of the box Yamaha TSR-700 wont ARC to our 3 month old TCL 75" 75Q825 - Am I the worst shopper ever? Or is this technology terrible? I just listed everything on craigslist, even the brand new complete set of 7.1 Klipsch RF series. I'm leaving the hobby and buying a damn soundbar. GRRRR so irritated!!!
Yes, ARC is twitchy.

My question is, what are you getting with ARC that an optical connection, which works much better, won't accomplish?

WaikikiJason

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
I’m guessing you are using your tv as a streaming device and sending the audio signal to your receiver. Unfortunately, ARC is a very poorly implemented standard. I personally recommend keeping your gear and buying a good streaming device (AppleTV, Roku, etc…) and not worrying about trying to use the tv’s built in streaming apps which are usually pretty outdated.

Connect the streaming device to your receiver’s hdmi input and connect the tv to the receiver’s hdmi output and you’ll be good.
Yes, that's exactly the case. The TV os is roku so I always thought I had the best experience. So, I should use an external roku and just use the TV as a monitor. The only thing I'm giving up is the power on & and power off function?

WaikikiJason

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Yes, ARC is twitchy.

My question is, what are you getting with ARC that an optical connection, which works much better, won't accomplish?I want sure if optical could carry all the channels, including presence.

Yes, ARC is twitchy.

My question is, what are you getting with ARC that an optical connection, which works much better, won't accomplish?
I was under the impression that optical does not carry all the information, including presence channels.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I was under the impression that optical does not carry all the information, including presence channels.
It can't carry Atmos, but are you able to get Atmos on any streaming apps you're currently using?

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If only there was some other way to accomplish this.

Oh well.

-

<_<

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I’ll agree, get a Roku device or Firestick or whatever device you prefer.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The thing is, I don't see a question anywhere.

I don't see any interest in finding a solution.

To throw it all away and get a soundbar... well... maybe that is the best thing for you to do.

WaikikiJason

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
The thing is, I don't see a question anywhere.

I don't see any interest in finding a solution.

To throw it all away and get a soundbar... well... maybe that is the best thing for you to do.
Yes, you're correct.. I'm just venting out of frustration. I never considered the alternative of running a streaming device to my receiver and receiver to TV... Via hdmi.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
In order to get Dolby Atmos on Netflix, your streaming device options are:

1. Roku Ultra (latest 2020 model)
2. Apple TV 4K
3. Amazon Fire Cube (or so I've been told)

When setting up the Roku Ultra, make sure the Audio Settings are set to Auto Passthrough and NOT Auto Detect. The Auto Detect setting has a bug where if enabled sends all audio streams to your receiver with the Atmos flag in the ON position regardless if the Audio is encoded with Atmos.

Any other Roku or Fire Stick device unfortunately cannot pass Atmos to a receiver for Netflix as Netflix requires the streaming device to decode for Atmos.

WaikikiJason

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
In order to get Dolby Atmos on Netflix, your streaming device options are:

1. Roku Ultra (latest 2020 model)
2. Apple TV 4K
3. Amazon Fire Cube (or so I've been told)

When setting up the Roku Ultra, make sure the Audio Settings are set to Auto Passthrough and NOT Auto Detect. The Auto Detect setting has a bug where if enabled sends all audio streams to your receiver with the Atmos flag in the ON position regardless if the Audio is encoded with Atmos.

Any other Roku or Fire Stick device unfortunately cannot pass Atmos to a receiver for Netflix as Netflix requires the streaming device to decode for Atmos.
Okay, I'm headed to Best Buy to pick up the 2020 Roku Ultra. Then I'm going to unbox my receiver, take down the Craigslist ad and run all the speaker wires again. Hook everything up and hope for the best! One of the functions of arc that I really liked, was that the TV remote would power the receiver on and off, and control the receiver volume.

WaikikiJason

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Yes, ARC is twitchy.

Receiver volume control with TV remote, receiver power control with TV remote and presence audio channels

edee_em

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eddie Marano
I ran into this very issue when I tried to run Netflix off my Samsung TV app. Posted about it here and the good folks essentially told me, as they did you, to get an external streamer. I went with the HD Fire TV stick (not 4k). Slapped it on the back of my AVR so as a source it would route through the AVR and then to the TV. Yes, the TV is now a monitor. I have the Logitech Harmony One remote (BOO HOO on its demise) and set up an activity for streaming (turns on stick, AVR and TV) and I'm good. If I'm not mistaken, you can set up some control over devices through the stick remote. In summary, haven't met anyone , yet, who will go to war on the side of ARC. I posted a couple of days ago about the ARC question.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks