What's new

Wow! Silence of the Lambs Criterion (1 Viewer)

James Spraggs

Stunt Coordinator
Just found a brand new sealed copy of this at my local Sam Goody's. I can't believe it was on the shelf and only $34.95! :)

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Earlier this year my roomate and I walked into our local Hollywood video and were shocked to see 3 brand new Silence Criterions sitting on the shelf, at only $21.99 each! Needless to say we bought all of them, and they also had a whole bunch of OOP Disneys and James Bonds we snatched up at very reasonable prices. The most pleasant DVD surprise I've ever seen!

Clinton C

Stunt Coordinator
awesome deal, it seems that the stores in the mall are good for finding OOP bargains. my friend found a midnight run for $14.99 at FYE about a month ago.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
A bargain indeed. Just finding it would be bargain enough. I always keep my eyes open, you know...just in case.

Bruce

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I just found one at the Suncoast store in West LA when trying to find something I could use with a gift card. Mine!

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
At local Video Store, they had a surplus of DVDs dirt cheap. I got the Royal Tenenbaums Criterion for $9.

A few years back, my friend 2 Criterion The Killer DVDs at Tower Records while they were going for $80 and more on ebay.

Christopher_H

Stunt Coordinator
Actually the Criterion Silence of the Lambs has the Commentary with Anthony Hopkins and Jodie Foster which is not available on the Special Edition. That is why I went on a hunt for one.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Single-disc Criterions = Film only. (Maybe 1 trailer.)
Clearly you don't own many Criterion discs. ;) Nope, that thought can be cast aside by many a single disc feature laden Criterion releases, of which The Silence of The Lambs was one.
Reprising supplements from the original Criterion laserdisc, the most favoured extra was the remarkable commentary track from Jonathan Demme, Jodie Foster, Ted Tally, Anthony Hopkins and John Douglas of the FBI. It is thought by many (including myself) to be one of the best audio commentaries ever recorded for laserdisc [and subsequently carried over for the DVD port].
The Criterion disc also features a number of deleted scenes, story boards & Film-to-storyboard comparisons and the written statements of (convicted) serial killers which makes for rather disturbing reading it must be said.
Dan

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Here's a bummer for you-- I put the disc in last night and had a weird defect. I couldn't get it to play the film on either my Sony DVD player or my iMac. So I had to take it back to Suncoast and get a refund (I picked up the MGM version). Fortunately, I still have the Criterion laser (which I was going to replace with the Crit. DVD).

Easy come, easy go I guess.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I bought SOTL Criterion when I first got a player in 98 and havent listened to the commentary either.

StevenA

Second Unit
I believe The Criterion disc also has the correct burned-in subtitles, as opposed to the player-generated ones on the MGM disc.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
MGM's "Silence of the Lambs" DVD has burned-in subtitles in Region 1. I think they've sworn off of player-generated subtitles since "The Terminator" SE came out.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Dan:
Still in the midst of reading thread hits returned after searching for Criterion Lambs DVD info. after watching the film for the first time in a long while the other night, including the deleted scenes on the MGM SE.
Several of these scenes I think should have been in the final film (i.e., Crawford and Starling reprimanded in Krendler's office for their disingenuous use of Sen. Martin's name in the deal offered to Lecter; Starling talking to Frederika Bimmel's (sp.?) former co-worker and thereby getting the tip regarding the Lippman (sp.?) house where she eventually finds Buffalo Bill).
Does Demme talk in the commentary about why he deleted some of these scenes?
Paul

Joel C

Screenwriter
I didn't like the SOTL commentary much. I happily upgraded to the MGM for the picture quality (anamorphic) and sold the Criterion on eBay.

Seth--L

Screenwriter

Really? I think it still holds up as one of the best out there - far better than the self-congratulatory/this film was so much fun to make/the person on the bike is so-and-so the producer/not so funny behind-the-scenes story ones that dominate the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks