Purchased T2:UE, Goonies, SOTL, and Tarzan:SE. WOW!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Hubert, Sep 21, 2001.

1. Hubert

Hubert Second Unit

Just purchased 4 DVDs tonight and I must say my money was well spent.
    T2:UE - This one is just fantastic. Incredible transfer, and incredible DD as well as DTS tracks. Phenomenal! Excellent shadow detail and completely free of grain. Extras are out of this world. Over 6 hours worth of content. I especially like the audio commentary with 26 members of the cast and crew. I also love the fact that it has both the theatrical version as well as the SE version. Don't wait T2 fans to pick this one up. If you wait, it might be hard to find in the future. It's pretty easy to find now. But don't count on that forever.
    Tarzan:SE - Simply one of the best transfers I've seen. Incredible resolution and clarity...and free of grain. Edge enhancement was minimal at best. I really didn't notice any unless I looked real hard for it. The DD track is fantastic with deep bass extension, also deep extension in the surround channels. I would have liked the addition of DTS, but you won't be disappointed by the DD track one bit. The extras are numerous. Too many to name, but trust me. The extras are more than worthy of the SE tag. I especially like the story board to final film split-screen comparison. I also like the deep canvas process that was included here. This is simply one of the best Disney DVDs ever produced, and one of the best period. This one is worthy of the Platinum designation. Worth every penny. However, this one was very difficult to find, at least in my area. It took me 6 months to finally find one, and even after all that I picked up the final copy Best Buy had. Don't wait.
    Silence of the Lambs - Well, what can I say. The best transfer of this classic so far. Plus, the first anamorphic as well as DD track. The trasfer is very good, but not as good as I had hoped. But it's good nonetheless. There's some slight grain in places and is just not as clean nor has the clarity it should have. Certainly better than average. In fact good, but after watching Tarzan:SE and T2:UE, maybe I'm being a little hard on it. I think it's the best transfer so far. The DD track is better than average, but again, not nearly the best. The DD track does not measure up to the transfer. If you have the Criterion version, keep it. The extras and bonus materials on the Criterion version are much better. But I think this purchase was worth it to me because of the very good anamorphic transfer. Some very good shadow detail as well. Just comparing it to the benchmarks of the DVD format is unfair. May not be worth the purchase for you, but for me it was.
    Goonies - Another fantastic disc. The image quality and transfer is remarkable, especially considering this movie is fairly old. Incredible transfer. Very clean and free of grain. I'm not very good at judging edge enhancement, but I couldn't see any. Again, fantastic transfer. The cast audio commentary is excellent as well. And even the transfer here is excellent. The DD track is fantastic as well, with very good clarity and deep bass extension. Deep extension is present in the surrounds as well during many scenes. It's not as loaded with extras as some DVDs are, but the extras and bonus materials that are present is incredible. The attention to detail is very noticeable on this disc. If you don't even like this movie, I say pick it up and give it another try. Excellent movie.
    Well, there's my basic reviews of these 4 discs I purchased tonight. My money was well spent tonight and I can overwhelmingly recommend Goonies, T2:UE, and Tarzan:SE. SOTL might be iffy for some people, especially if they're happy with the Criterion version. But I bought it mainly for the very good anamorphic transfer. I give it a mild recommendation. Not quite the DVD I had hoped for. Was hoping for a full blown and incredible DVD. What I got was very good in some places, and decent in others. However, best transfer so far.
    Well, thought some people that might be interested in these movies might like to see what someone else had to say about them. Happy viewing.

2. Gavin K

Gavin K Stunt Coordinator

Wow, you watched all four of these tonight, and the supplements, and you are still awake enough to post! [​IMG]
    It took me almost a week to get through everything on T2 alone.
    ------------------
    "Wow, what a dramatic airport!"