What's new

Wow, I cant believe what I just heard.... (1 Viewer)

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
I think I just heard the beginning of a new musical revolution. I dont know if theyve been discussed here or not, but I just heard the new album from "The Strokes", and it's AMAZING. Its unlike anything else out there. Hopefully it will catch on and we'll get some new bands of similar musical stylings.

The first time I heard it ( i listened straight through like 4 times), it reminded me of when grunge first exploded. Pearl Jam, Nirvana, etc. Remember when PJ first went on Saturday Night Live back in 1990? I think that gave grunge a boost, just like I'm sure The Strokes benefited from thier SNL performace the other night.

Well, I dont really know what else to say other than I hope it catches on and this country starts producing better music than NSync and Spears.

Hope this wasnt discussed too much in a past post i missed.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I caught them on SNL and knew immediately that I had to buy the album. Boy am I glad I did! For some reason I got a "New York Dolls" type of vibe from them. Of course it may just be me. But it is good to hear some straight-ahead old-fashioned rock and roll again.

Tony Mirra

Stunt Coordinator
There's nothing overly original about the Strokes. They wear their influences on their sleeve, most definitely, but they do what they do very well. They'll be around for a while if they can keep themselves from imploding.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I caught the Strokes record in Ocober shortly after it was released, and found myself liking it more than I expected to. Upon further reflection- I don't know if the record is really all that great, or if it's just an extreme breath of fresh air in "mainstream" music. They kinda remind me of my friends' band GOLD CIRCLES (they even look the same).

Again- the Strokes album really isn't "bad" by any means-- but I honestly think a lot of the hype around the band is the fact that it's been sooooooo long since we've seen a good old fashioned dirty rock band in the mainstream. Not rapping over rehashed metal hooks, not metallica's 40 year old power ballads, not the loopy and elongated prog metal thing-- just serious gritty rock.

Sure they aren't anything new-- I found it especially cute that the drummer wore a Velvet Underground shirt on SNL--- as if to say "Yeah, we know...". If the singer would have worn a stooges shirt- it would have been perfect!!

It was great to see them on SNL (although the overly compressed vocal thing didn't translate as well live as it did on the album). It seems the rest of the world is itching for rock too.

I hope this is a sign of things to come- the 10 year cycle shifts back again. God I can't wait.

-Vince

PS: If you're looking to buy the Strokes record 'is this it', order the import version. The US version in wake of Sept 11 pulled the track "New York City Cops" ('New York City Cops, New York City Cops, New York City Cops- they ain't too smart')- it is worth having and absolutely in my opinion the best song on the album.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
I've listened to that album, and I don't get the fuss. It just doesn't grab me. Honestly, these guys sound like they'd be better off in a Detroit garage. Still, it's probably better than most popular music today :D.
-Tom

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
I must side with Tom. The entire album sounds like it was recorded and mixed in the garage, too. The Strokes remind me of any local band you care to name...not enough polish, not enough practice, and not enough talent. Vince's lyric snippet alone should convince you of that.

On the other hand, if this type of music does catch on, it might encourage people to check out what their local bands have come up with. God knows they need the support, at least in my neck of the woods.

Cincinnati cops...Cincinnati cops...Cincinnati cops...they shoot too much...

Think of the possibilities.

Paul D Young

Second Unit
I saw them on SNL and I ordered the album. I ordered the import because I noticed that the US release removed a track called New York Cops and instead replaced it with it's B-Side. I'm not quite sure why. I hadn't really heard of them until SNL because I've kind of given up on most newer bands but I can't wait to hear the whole album. I don't think they are the new revolution but I really liked what I've heard so far. On SNL they had the guitars up really loud and it kind of drowned out the vocals. I liked that a lot. I hope the album was recorded similarly.

Dan B

Screenwriter
I think they are a fun band, and yes they are very similar to many bands that came before them. ( that's not a crime ;) )
-Dan

LawrenceK

Stunt Coordinator
I love this album. Fucking love it. Both versions. This band has the looks and sound to appeal to a large audience of people, and their music is damned good in my opinion. Nothing to fancy, but it rocks and it puts a smile on my face. I'd love to see these guys live, but it doesn't look like they are going to be touring near San Francisco for awhile...oh well. I think I will go order one of their t-shirts...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks