Would This Paradigm Setup Work Well with a Marantz 7500?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Slade, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Slade

Slade Agent

I would appreciate any advice on my thinking here. I'm planning to get a Marantz 7500 (105w/channel). I'm planning to listen to some Paradigms at a store. Here's what I'm wondering...

Could I go with:

(2) Studio 60s up front

(1) CC370 or CC470 Center

(2) ADP370 or ADP470s for side/rear

And skip a sub for now? I could add a sub in a few months, but may want to put off the extra money for now.

By the way, the Marantz 7500 is $800. Is the Marantz 8500 (for $1350) going to sound a lot better with this setup or is the 7500 a great idea?

Thanks for any help.

2. Slade

Slade Agent

Well, now I'm thinking about doing this:

1. Get (2) Studio 100s right now.

2. Get the Marantz 8500 right now.

Then in a few months, get:

(1) CC-579 Center
    (2) ADP-470s for side/rear
    (1) Sub (maybe the PW2100 or PW2200)

Will this work? Will the Studio 100s have enough bass to work for a few months?

Thanks again.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Definitely. IMo you've landed on the best option of patience and gathering the best system possible over a longer time period. I would seriously consider Signature series speakers, even the bookshelves, instead of the studio 100s though, if you haven't listened to them. I'm a fan of a superior bookshelf at the same price over a full floorstander, so that's my bias, but you may want to consider that at the same price.

4. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

The marantz receiver will work with the 60s or 100s, but I recommend adding an outboard amp if you're not going to use a sub and run them full bandwidth. I would go with 20s or 40s and use the difference between them and the 100s to get a Hsu or SVS sub.

5. Slade

Slade Agent

Thanks for the replies. I went to the shop and listened. Here's my plan, now:

Marantz 8500

(2) Studio 100s

(1) CC570 Center

(2) ADP470 Surrounds

I'll wait on the sub. I really liked the Servo-15, but may opt for the smaller Seismic-12. I'll probably get that in a few months. I may even wait on the center and surrounds and just start with the 100s. I was AMAZED at how a pair of 100s FILLED the room at the shop. Of course, the room is engineered accoustically, but they were not directional when I listened. The sound seemed to envelope the room like a mist. It was the most pleasant thing.

By the way, would it be crazy to go with (4) 100s and skip the surrounds? I don't have a place to mount the surrounds, but I do have space to place them on the floor. Would that disrupt a proper surround sound? The guy at the shop indicated that usually people just put the surrounds in the back.

Thanks again,
    Slade

6. Slade

Slade Agent

Okay, I just read in another post, that using towers for the rears is not the best thing to do.

My only option for mounting the rears, is if I mount them 9 feet high, about 1 foot back, when we sit. Not good, is it?

Thanks.

7. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Slade, how big is the room these are going in?
    If it's not huge I would recommend the 60's with a sub. Yes the 100's might put out more bass, but the point will be moot when you get a sub. The 100's really benefit from an amp and so if you're not thinking about one, then the 60's might be a little better with that receiver as well.
    If you're not up against the back wall you could put the ADP's on the back wall. I just did that for a friend in a huge room and they sound great. As long as there are reflective surfaces for them to work with.
    Depending on how high your ceilings are, 9 feet is a little high. Generaly a few feet above ear height when seated is best.

By the way where are you located?