What's new

Would Spock be a Tube or Solid State Guy? (1 Viewer)

Wyatt_Y

Stunt Coordinator
No, no, no....Spock is a dichotomy of sorts...remember the Vulcan mating/spouse ritual, etc....very primitive and not logic based....

For ship/work purposes he's all solid state and digital...but back in his cabin, off-duty and relaxing, he's doin' the analog thing to the soft glow of an array of tubes....probably driving Klipschorns....d@mn - the shipping to planet Vulcan was killer on those suckers!!!

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Tube. With those ears he would not be able to take the solid state sound for very long especially on the high notes :D

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Here's where I demonstrate my Trekkie nerdiness:

In one of the more famous episodes of the series, Kirk and Spock are trapped in NYC in 1930. Spock needs to fashion a computer of some sort from cheap, locally available materials. When Kirk first suggests that Spock build one, here is his reply (and I quote)

Spock (with a heavy dose of indignation and incredulity in his voice): In this zinc-plated, vacuum-tubed culture?

Kirk (grinning): Well, it would prove to be a rather complex problem in logic. Excuse me, Mr. Spock. I sometimes expect too much of you.

Spock takes the bait and, of course, rises to the challenge.

Given his attitude towards tubes displayed in this scene, I'd have to say our friend would be a solid state man.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
Spock would be ANALOG all the way but Analog that we cant comprehend yet. . .I understand the next big thing in computers will be analog. . .:b

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
No way, Worf would own a Bose waveradio.

Worf "A warrior does not need a jumble of wires!"

Lt. "Broccoli" Barclay would have a Wilson Grand-Slam set-up because he's compensating.

I imagine LaForge would act alot like Chu "I'll believe in skin-effect when I see it!" (funnier because he can).

And the entire Cardassian homeworld is stocked with B&W Nautalis systems because they "look spooky".

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Spock would have a tube pre (for is human half) and a solid state amp - actually a digital amp (for his Vulcan half). But he'd lean more toward tube, since he can't stand those odd harmonics.

Martin.

Tim_Stack

Second Unit
Crusher would modify his boom-box and cause a space-time shift and put us all back to the pre-DVD days.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
man, i cannot believe you geeks are talking about this.

with a flippin' holodeck at your disposal, would any of you even care?

i'm pretty sure solid state vs. tube would be the last thing on my mind.

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks