What's new

Worth going to Canada to save $$$? (1 Viewer)

Paul_Psutka

Stunt Coordinator
You can definitely get a refund on both the GST (7%), and PST (8%) with purchases made in Ontario, Canada. I know this for a fact because I've received these refunds with speaker purchases I've made from Fairview HiFi in Burlington (I recommend that store to everyone too). (Definitely DO NOT shop at Gibby's in St. Catharines unless you want to pay full list price -- or even more than list price!)
For a GST refund, you need to spend at least $200 Cdn, and each receipt must total at least $50, or have $3.50 of GST. The GST refund can be collected at the border on your way home to the U.S.
For a PST refund (gov't also refers to it as RST), you need to spend at least $625 Cdn or have $50 of PST on your receipt. You can obtain this refund through the mail, and they'll give you a form when you get your GST refund.
It's helpful to have the store clearly mark the individual PST and GST amounts on the receipt.
U.S. residents can bring back $200 U.S. per person of merchandise duty free on a single day trip. If you stay in Canada for at least 48 hours, then you can bring back $400 U.S. per person. So my wife and I were able to bring back a combined amount of $800 U.S or approx $1250 Cdn worth of speakers without hassle. If you go over these amounts I am not sure how much duty or U.S. taxes you would have to pay. Probably not very much.
[Edited last by Paul_Psutka on September 30, 2001 at 10:06 AM]

Ed C

Stunt Coordinator
There should be no duty if you buy speakers that are made in Canada (or North America for that matter) due to NAFTA.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks