Worth going to Canada to save $$$?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BobL, Sep 28, 2001.

1. BobL

BobL Agent

I have relatives I visit in Canada and was wondering if it is worth buying Canadian made audio products while I am there? Also, if anyone knows what does the following items go for in Candian dollars.
    Bryston SP-1
    Anthem AVM2
    Antehm AVM20
    Paradigm Active 40's pair
    Paradign Active Center
    Paradigm Active ADP
    Paradigm Servo 15
    15% tax?
    Do you have to worry about customs and import taxes? I never drove back with anything that big that I had purchased.
    Thanks
    Bob

2. ChrisA

ChrisA Second Unit

I thought NAFTA eliminated 'import tax', but I never even took micro or macro economics, so what do I know!
    I'm sure there are ways around things, in any case! I think the U.S. Dollar is doing well against the Canadian dollar, which should mean you could buy things a little cheaper. Correct my econ if I'm wrong please!
    ------------------
    Pictures: The Worm Hole Theater featuring the Black Hole Subs and Death Star Platform

3. Stuart C

Stuart C Extra

I think you'll find that you can get good deals spending U$ dollars in Canada. You should have no problem with customs returning because of NAFTA. be aware though that security has tightened considerably and your vehicle WILL be searched travelling both ways. You can also get a refund on the GST ( 8% value added tax)back at the border. The normal sales tax (7% in Ontario)is also recoverable 'I think', but you have to mail it in. You should get at least 1.50 to 1.55 CDN for each US dollar if you exchange at the bank. You can also just charge to visa (check with them for exchange rate). Typically the stores will not give quite as high an exchange rate. I don't have Canadian list prices at hand, but, checking Mfg web site should give you a feel or at least a dealer to call in Canada and check pricing. The best deal I have seen recently was at East Hamilton radio, their roof caved in during renovations so they had a scratch and dent sale. Paradigm seemed to send in a lot of 'B' stock to clear out as well. Prices were 30-50% off CDN list. So a Studio 40 that list for 1100 cdn at 40% off sold for $440 US$ plus taxes. Good luck!

4. Stuart C

Stuart C Extra

The Canadian Magazine (spring 2001) I have with list prices doesn't list the Bryston or Anthem products (too new)
    Anthem - AVM-1 $3799 CDN
    Paradigm all CDN List
    Active 40 - 2250
    Active Center - 1000
    Active/ADP - 2100
    Studio/ADP - 1050
    Servo 15 - 1790
    Divide by 1.5 to get a rough US dollar equiv.
    Isn't hard currency a wonderful thing [​IMG]

5. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Just a note that the GST you definitely apply to get back is 7%. The Ontario Provincial Tax is 8%.
    Patrick
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

6. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

I was up in Toronto a couple of months ago, and was told by customs that you only get ONE of those taxes back. So it's the GST that you get back, not ALL of the taxes. In my humble, yet correct opinion(ha), it's only worth buying up there IF you can get 20% off from a dealer....but don't tell him you're from the States, or they'll be less inclined. You'd probably have to buy some kind of system in order to get the 20% off. That, combined with the exchange rate will net you almost 50% off!!! Otherwise, the schlepp factor and warranty issues(you'd have to mail them back) ain't worth it. In other words, the 33% exchange rate discount by itself isn't worth it to me to purchase it up there. Check out ALL the logistics, and you'll see.

7. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

8. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    just so you know, the current exchange rate is $1 Canadian buys $.63336 US. inversely, US$1 = CAD$1.57888. it has gone up since i was in Canada last, when CAD$1 bought about US$.80
    http://www.exchangerate.com
    ------------------
    -Thomas
    Click here to visit my webpage.

9. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

10. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

BobL:
    There is definitely $$ to be saved, depending on what you're looking for. For example, I recently purchased a new Paradigm Servo 15 for $1200 CAN. That currently equates to about $774.00 US. Now, that does not include sales tax (which you would have to pay in MA anyway) nor does it include GST, which you would get back. As for the other Paradigm pieces, I am unfamiliar with them or their prices.
    As for Bryston, I have two of their amps. Recently, I purchased a new 4B-ST for $2050 (before tax) CAN which equates to about $1322 US. I see used ones on ebay going for much more.
    As for warranties, anyone who is familiar with Bryston knows of their service reputation. I don't know as much about Paradigm, but I've heard they are just as honorable.
    For items where distributors are involved, generally prices are close (and even cheaper in cases of some products). On the other hand, items which are simply ordered factory direct for example, we take a shit kicking since the dollar value isn't factored in.
    Lastly, I would think much of this applies to larger Canadian cities with local competition. Since you're in MA, I wouldn't think you'd be as successful shopping in Eastern Canada since populations are rather small (hence fewer retail stores).
    Hope this was of some help,
    Herb.
    BTW, I wouldn't send my mother-in-law to shop at East Hamilton Radio. Collectively, I have never dealt with (literally) a bigger group of incompetants. Their prices are poor compared to other local retailers.
    ------------------

11. Ed C

Ed C Stunt Coordinator

12. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Ed:
    Try Fairview HiFi in Burlington (905) 681-1872 and ask for Paul. He is a super guy and is very knowledgeable. Their prices are very reasonable.
    Good luck,
    Herb.
    ------------------

13. Ed C

Ed C Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Herb!

14. BobL

BobL Agent

Thanks Herb,
    Although Montreal is probably the closest urban area for me to shop, I usually visit my relatives in Ottawa. So I would probably look in that area. Anyone know of any good shops within an hour or two of Ottawa? Montreal is possibility as well, I can come home that way.
    Bob

15. Myles

Myles Agent

16. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Don't forget to audition some PSB speakers while in Ontario. good place to listen is a small store called Whitby Audio. Good store. Lots of PSB, Paradigm and Kef speakers.

17. Ed C

Ed C Stunt Coordinator

Note that Audioshop no longer carries the Paradigm Reference line.

18. Ken Stokes

Ken Stokes Agent

Bob,
    I have gone to Canada a few times to make purchases. I know that you have to pay a 15% tax in Ontario but you get one of the taxes back at the boarder and you will receive the second one in about 60 days. Keep an eye on the exchange rates as they change daily.
    The best deals I have been able to make on larger purchase was to call ahead. Just strike up a conversation with the manager or preferably the owner. Tell him you are coming in from the US and are paying in US cash. They will tell you they can't give prices over the phone but tell them you know what you want, you've got cash, and you don't have time to shop when your there. Stress that whoever gives you the lowest price gets the sale. Just make sure they are authorized before you call. Doing this will get you the best possible price. When I have done this (and done it nicely) I have always come out way ahead.
    The only caveat is make sure that the company will honor the warranty regardless of purchase location. Bryston will accept any of their products according to date, others will make you return it place of purchase.
    Good Luck,
    Ken

19. BobL

BobL Agent

Hi Ken,
    I think I will do that for the Bryston. There reputation is excellent. I am a little concerned now about the active 40's being discontinued and I am still researching other non-canadian models as well.
    Thanks for your help!
    Bob

20. Stuart C

Stuart C Extra

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that East Hamilton radio was my prefered store. Was just using them as a pricing reference as that was the last time I priced Paradigm speakers.
    As for my favourite store, I second Chris's opinion, Whitby Audio, great people, very good selection and accomodating.