What's new

Back to the Future still uncorrected ? (1 Viewer)

Manus

Second Unit
After already returning my first set of 'Back to the Future Trilogy' to dvdplanet at the time of release , I decided at last to repurchase from dv-depot in Canada.

After all , 2 years have passed since Universal were first informed of the framing problems , so it should be safe enough shouldn't it ? And my godson has been going on a lot about seeing them recently so it'd be worth it for Christmas , right ??

Wrong , very wrong.To my horror I received an uncorrected set so maybe Universal weren't actually destroying the original discs but were saving them for a rainy day ?.

Also, being an 'International Customer' , they no longer feel that they should offer me a replacement :angry:

******s
M

Brandon Steck

Stunt Coordinator
The only one with the framing issues was BTF2, you can send in the disc and get a replacement for free. It doesn't take that long, but I don't know about international customers.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Manus,

The Canadian brand of Universal was actually more customer friendly in this respect. Did you try to swap the disc there? After all, you bought it in their country. The US office never exchanged even Canadian versions, as far as I know, only US-bought discs.

Cees

Manus

Second Unit
Cees,
I haven't tried yet as I read that Universal had announced that International Customers were no longer being facilitated ( this is mentioned in Vinces HTF BTTF update ) .
The site I bought off said they may be able to find replacements (though they didnt say when) so I was going to give them some time.After all, Universal are using them to shift poor-quality product when they have already corrected versions available which I think is despicable :angry:

You'd think 2 years down the line they'd run out of misframed ones ??

M

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Manus,

Yes, you'd think that. In fact, I will be visiting the US soon and will try to buy the corrected version (keeping the one I have as a collector's item).

Did you send an e-mail to that nice Canadian lady? If I were you, I'd try. Previously, as an overseas customer, you didn't even have to send the old discs, just the proof you bought it!

Cees

Manus

Second Unit
Cees,
If I don't hear anything in the next few days I probably will give her a go. What's the worst that can happen ? ;)

I came across a story somewhere about a buyer fo dvdempire who had been promised by Universal that they were supplying corrected discs only to be horrified when people started contacting the site to complain about the (still present) misframing issue.

I wish you better luck in your purchase !

M

Manus

Second Unit
Well,
I contacted Universal in Canada only to be told that as I'm not Canadian , no replacements. Not even a signed e-mail , just 'there you go'.

I really do understand the motives for this 'Business Apartheid' called 'Region Coding' being practised by the studios but really in instances like this where an imperfect product is STILL being sold over the counter I dont think it reflects well on them to hide behind 'Regional Coding', to which consumers are not legally bound anyway.

Universal have always been one of the poorer studios IMO anyway , they had held up BttF long enough to ensure the product was ok prior to release , they were even informed from Australia (R4) before the R1 release about the errors and did nothing.

Then there was the Jurassic Park dts fiasco. And the ET catastrophe. Not to mention the descent into releasing 'Explosive Extended' editions or announcing 2-disc Special Editions (Spotless Mind) one month after the single-disc release.

Somebody over there should have gotten tired already of all this bad press and gone to work on their image but they obviously havent hired much good talent.

And , for that, it seems that I (We) will continue to pay the price.
Again, SHAME ON YOU UNIVERSAL.

M

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
Forgive me if this had already been addressed, but what about the R2 Japanese editions which include the dts track? Have they been corrected? If so, I look forward to purchasing them with no worries. Thanks,
Marty.:)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Exactly.
The regional division thing affects retailers. The discs cannot be sold outside a specified region (and there's no guarantee it will play on your player).
But you are a legal buyer. Granted, you live somewhere else, but you bought it from a legal seller and you are allowed to bring your DVD outside the region where you bought it in the first place.

Now, as far as shipping costs are concerned, that's another thing. They could charge a fee to send it abroad. But, IMO, they still have an obligation to provide you with a correct product.
In fact that's what the Canadian brand did for some time. Perhaps even too easily, so it may have backfired now.

Cees

Manus

Second Unit
Cees,
Let's just say a little birdy helped me find a way round it with some postage costs and 'economical truths' :)
I also resent the implication that those of us who scour the net for Special editions of our favourite films ( eg. R2 'Boondock saints' and R3 ' R-Point and Oldboy and R5 'Night Watch') , should be made to feel guilty for so doing or have it insinuated that we are breaking the law when it is really just a 'cartel game' to suit certain companies.

Quentin Tarantino Presents ' Hero' ? I don't think so. Check out monkeypeaches.com for an alternative version of that story.

M

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks