What's new

Worst Remakes..... (1 Viewer)

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Home Alone 2 - man, that was a terrible remake of the original. Oh, wait. That was supposed to be a sequel?
------------------
Spoiler:One Thousand Words
My Top 10 Movies of 2000 of 2001
Fox: Please release P.C.U. on DVD!
[Edited last by John Thomas on November 16, 2001 at 05:41 AM]

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
I disagree about Psycho. If you take it on it's own terms, as a movie for people who haven't seen the original, I think it's very well done. If I'd never seen the original, the remake would be one of my favorite movies. I won't argue that it wasn't a pointless remake, but I don't think it was bad.
On the other hand, the made-for-tv remake of Hitchcock's Rear Window, with Christopher Reeve, was horrible.
-Gabe

Tommy G

Screenwriter
The absolute worst piece of crap remake ever was The Getaway. Way to screw up a classic! I also refused to see the remake of Psycho so that is why I don't list that as well. I couldn't see the point in remaking one of the greatest movies of all time. Why bother?

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Al, do you really think the remake of The Vanishing was that bad - worst category? I actually enjoyed it.
Worse than bad - positively insulting! Though THE HAUNTING remake is certainly an odious piece of shit, and the PSYCHO remake was positively pointless except as a film-school exercise, THE VANISHING (to me) stands above all the other terrible remakes in how crassly it alters its basic plot and premise to appeal directly to the very lowest common denominator, substituting the schlockiest and most repellent aspects of the worst Hollywood slasher films for the immense intelligence and complexity of the original. It's a devolution of extraordinary proportions, and an insult to the American public to which the remake was retooled to appeal to. Yes, they clearly think we're idiots, unacustomed and unaccepting of anything remotely challenging, preferring instead the crass formulas of the Hollywood schlock-factory.
It's not just bad, it's the worst.
I don't think I'm completely alone on this point. Here, as an example, is Roger Ebert's much-too-kind 1-star review:
http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_...02/840650.html

Danny Knapp

Stunt Coordinator
I liked the Psycho remake...but correct..it was a pointless exercise.
Highlander: Endgame (sucked)
Problem Child 3 (TV remake)
Beverly Hills Cop 3
Dr. Dolittle 2
That's just a few off the top of my head.
------------------
I dislike Tom Green!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks