What's new

Worst Remakes..... (1 Viewer)

Chuck L

Screenwriter
I can think of two right off the bat....
The Haunting....FX took out anything spooky or even mystifing that made the original 1963 such a wonderful film. The acting as well weakened a already weak direction.
Pyscho...Gus Van Zant...Anne and what's-his-name...nothing about the film was special and only served to show that Hitchcock was the master.

Dave L

Stunt Coordinator
Ross Hunter's "Lost Horizon" is often considered among the worst ever made. It's a textbook example of how to take a cast of talented actors and a great book and produce a gargantuan mess. Just takes money and talent, I guess.

Kenneth English

Second Unit
#1 Worst Remake of All Time = Michael Winner's THE BIG SLEEP (1978). Truly wretched. Even Robert Mitchum as Marlowe couldn't help this one (he was awesome in the great 1975 remake of FAREWELL, MY LOVELY).
But then, has Michael Winner ever made a film that was remotely decent? Let's see: DEATH WISH 1-3, THE SENTINEL, WON TON TON: THE DOG WHO SAVED HOLLYWOOD...
Question answered.
eek.gif

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
...has Michael Winner ever made a film that was remotely decent?
Yes. I'll Never Forget What's 'is Name. Orson Welles is hilarious in it.
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
There are so many from which to choose--but The Haunting remake was certainly an abortion of a film.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Holden Pike

Stunt Coordinator
Breathless (1983) , the pointless, witless, unwatchable, embarassing pile of crud starring Richard Gere. Goadard would be rolling in his grave...if he were dead, I mean. I'm surprised the sight of this atrocity didn't kill him.

Greg K

Second Unit
If anyone badmouths The Fly (1986), I'll be upset. By the way, go to
www.petitiononline.com/brundle
to cast your vote for a Fly Special edition DVD!!!!
Worst remake? Psycho. You can't try to improve something that doesn't need improving.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
I would agree with almost everything listed here, so I will only add something different:
A Letter to Three Wives (1985-TV). This is truly an abomination of the one and only classic!
Al, do you really think the remake of The Vanishing was that bad - worst category? I actually enjoyed it.
------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
If I can count Titanic as a remake of A Night to Remember, I'll add that one.
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks