What's new

WORLD WAR Z 2008 - now 2013 (1 Viewer)

eric tengren

Stunt Coordinator
I just finished Max Brooks World War Z book and it was of the best novels I have read in a long time. So I checked online and Brad Pitt has a company that has bought the movie rights, anybody hear about this? any actors or director on board? How about Ridley Scott? he would be able to tackle an epic like this.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I haven't heard of this. I have Max Brooks "Zombie Survival Guide". Which is a fun book. I thought I heard of this before. What is it about?...besides zombies. :)

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
This'll be a tough nut to crack since it's a series of remembrances of a world war against zombies. It's very anecdotal and has just a bare bones narrative. I'd actually much prefer to see this as an HBO series or something that can handle the episodic nature of this book.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
I'm reading the book now and definitley enjoy it. There are definitely times in the novel where I stop and imagine how cool that scene would be on the big screen.

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit
Wow- about half way through it now and just hating it. Mr. Brooks obviously did his research on tech stuff and apparently wants to sandwich ever last factoid he ever saw into the book. The writing is just trite- like the section on the scoccer mom, wherer the author manages to cram in every bad cliche of suburban life into one chokingly unsavory nugget. Ugh! And the ultra-cheesy section with the "Rothman Rehab home for Feral Children" with some dimwitted nonsense about some woman who has not advanced, mentally, past the age of four. This is a super retarded section where the character likes to make zombie noises while freaking everyone out. So is she brain damaged or do we just buy that people just magically freeze at a certain age due to trauma? The whole thing is just one bad fan fiction fantasy after another with little good zombie action. Dude - watch Battlestar Galactica to see how tech terms can be integrated into a storyline to create a reality- if you're cramming in five silly abbreviations or terms per page, it gets a little weary. Just monsterously shitty.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Chad R said:
This'll be a tough nut to crack since it's a series of remembrances of a world war against zombies. It's very anecdotal and has just a bare bones narrative. I'd actually much prefer to see this as an HBO series or something that can handle the episodic nature of this book.
Actually, I would love to see the comic book "Walking Dead" by Robert Kirkman come to tv in episode form on either HBO or Showtime.

MarkWK

Agent
I wouldn't wish anything to be made by HBO to be shown in serial form. After half a season or so they would cancel it and leave everyone hanging. Just say no to HBO!

Mark

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Walking Dead would make a GREAT little 1 or 2 season series. Kirkman's really got that thing running lovely.
Just started World War Z, and I'm digging it pretty nicely. But the episodic nature of it would make it a tough nut to crack.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Finally started reading this book. I got too page 62 before I had to force myself to put it down and go to bed. I am really digging it. Although, it does get a bit confusing. And I get a little annoyed that I am reading one "account" and it cuts off and you have to wait until another part of the book to find out what happens. :)
I do agree with what other posters have been saying. This book may make a better mini-series than movie.
Any updates about the production (ie-release date,etc)

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
The last I heard is the J. Michael Straszinski (Babylon 5, a run of "Amazing Spider-Man") has been hired as the writer. His take is to follow the documentarian as he interviews the subjects. I still vote for maxi-series (like a mini-series, but longer and with a definitive end).

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
The trailer is available.
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/paramount/worldwarz/
I'm honestly not sure what to think. It looks absolutely NOTHING like the book. And not only are these zombies fast, they're like crazy parkour fast.
I don't want to completely dismiss it without seeing the movie first. But I have significant reservations about this. We should be getting "The Walking Dead" on a global scale type story. Instead it looks more like .... well, I'm not even sure what it looks like. But waves of CG zombies is not what I'm looking for in this type of story.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I agree with Sean in that it looks nothing like the book at all. However, it certainly seems to capture the sheer horrifying scale of a world-wide zombie apocalypse.
I think that was the feature that I liked the best from the book...the ideas and descriptions of not hundreds of zombies, but millions and billions and what that would mean for the survivors.
I especially recall the scene where the military had their big stand against the massive horde but failed to realize that shock and awe has no effect on the living dead.
Overall, I thought the trailer looked really impressive!

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I think I'd feel better about it if it wasn't supposed to be adaptation of World War Z. In that story, a zombie pandemic brings Humanity to the brink of extinction. But bands of survivors organized after realizing how to effectively fight them (developing effective hand-to-hand weapons, using strategic formations, drawing hordes to them, killing and retreating, clearing areas, regularly sweeping cleared areas for missed zombies, growing the number of survivors, fortifying areas, etc....). The book takes place 10 yeas after the official end to the pandemic, an a UN member travels the world documenting stories of various survivors, and you get a "big picture" of the whole nightmare and comeback in anthology form.
With these ridiculously fast zombies, I just don't see how the story can even remotely follow the book. You just can't fight these types of super fast, spider-man zombies. You can't go up against one with a shovel or a pick axe, let alone a group of them. I don't really have much of a problem with fast zombies. They are freaky as Hell for the reasons I just mentioned. I loved the Dawn of the Dead remake. But that's not what World War Z is. WWZ is the Walking Dead type zombies, not the Sprinting Dead. If this were supposed to be the same universe as the new Dawn of the Dead it would feel more right.
I can't argue that on its own it doesn't look pretty wild and intense. It does. But as an adaptation of an existing story it also looks really far from the mark.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I too would have preferred an adaptation that was more true to the book but this film does look intriguing to say the least. Since I am a zombie genre fan I will certainly see this film.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
While at the HTF Hollywood meet, Andy Munich got me interested in getting the bridged version of the audio book.
I understand there's an unabridged version coming out soon.
Going to start the book soon.
I watched the trailer.
Right now I'm on the fence.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks