What's new

World Series: Giants Vs Angels (1 Viewer)

Ning Wong

Stunt Coordinator
i am normally not a baseball fan...
but i have been watching the playoffs and entire world series..
i live a few miles from anaheim, and i am so excited!

and i hope the series goes until this weekend, 'cause i'll be up in San Fran this weekend and I want to flaunt my bandwagon Angel pride!

woot woot!

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
It certainly has been an entertaining WS from an offensive stand point.

Now for stating the obvious, game four is a must win for the Giants. If they go down 3 to 1 it's all over.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I am really impressed with the Angels lineup. Great line-drive hitters, good baserunners, very aggressive and fundamentally sound.

Tonight will be the announcement of Mastercard's Most Memorable Moment. What do you think it will be?

Also, when do the individual awards (MVP, Cy Young, etc.) get announced?

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Tonight will be the announcement of Mastercard's Most Memorable Moment. What do you think it will be?
I imagine it will be a very recent memory, probably involving Cal Ripken, Mark McGwire or Barry Bonds. Wouldn't it be neat if it turns out to be Bud Selig calling off the '94 World Series? Or ending this year's All Star game in a tie?

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Wouldn't it be neat if it turns out to be Bud Selig calling off the '94 World Series? Or ending this year's All Star game in a tie?
While those would be funny, I don't think they have much of a chance as they were not on the list list of 30 choices. Speaking of the 30 choices, I was amazed at how stupid some of them were. As much as I love Ichiro, if the choice "Ichiro's rookie season" actually won the honor of Baseball's Most Memorable Moment, I think MLB would be extremely embarrassed.

(Personally, I'm hoping the Pete Rose choice wins--that would really stick it to Bud Selig.)

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I didn't realize they had a preapproved list of "moments". I don't see how Ichiro's, or anyone's, entire rookie season can be considered a "moment."

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Also, when do the individual awards (MVP, Cy Young, etc.) get announced?
11/04 - AL/NL Rookie of the Year
11/05 - NL Cy Young Award
11/06 - AL/NL Manager of the Year
11/07 - AL Cy Young Award
11/11 - NL Most Valuable Player
11/12 - AL Most Valuable Player

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I just looked at the list of "memorable moments" and can't believe the stuff on there and the stuff omitted. Ichiro? In what way is that a memorable moment? Excluding Babe Ruth's called shot? Grover Cleveland Alexander getting a save for the Cardinals in the WS while drunk out of his mind? Hard to believe...

Anyway, this is a hugely entertaining Series, even though I don't have any particular allegiance to either team (OK, my fantasy team has Eckstein, Glaus and Anderson on it, but that wasn't by design). Those easterners not tuning in don't know what they're missing. I don't understand baseball fans that only are interested if their particular team is in it. But then I'm an old fart.

And I don't think Fox is weeping; they're still getting the highest share even though it's down from other years.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Oh, and I think the Lycos "Be Mark McGwire's Best Friend" commercial is hilarious. :D The theme from The Courtship of Eddie's Father really makes it. :laugh:

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Question about the NL CY Young: what would happen if Randy Johnson didn't win it? Don't ask me why, but I have a gut feeling that somehow Curt Schilling will get it, even though Johnson had better numbers in every conceivable meaningful (and semi-meaningful) stat with the exception of walks allowed. Maybe the voters will feel that Johnson has won enough Cy Young awards and that it's time someone else won. Maybe Schilling is a more likeable guy. I just have a sense--or paranoia--that some writers who like to stir things up will ignore the facts.
There is usually some question as to who will win MVP and or CY Young because one person doesn't usually lead in every category. For example, I actually thought Sosa should have won the MVP last year over Bonds. Bonds had the HR record and new walks record, but Sosa far surpassed him in runs scored and RBI. In this year's AL Cy Young, I can see the arguments for Zito and also for Pedro.
If a voter were to vote for Schilling over Johnson, would that person lose all credibility or is there ANY argument that can be made for Schilling? (I could see an outside chance for Smoltz, because relief pitchers have different standards.)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I don't think Schilling will get it because of his fade in September. Sort of the "what have you done for me lately" theory. His performance in the NLDS won't particularly aid his cause either.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I don't think Schilling will get it because of his fade in September. Sort of the "what have you done for me lately" theory.
That's what I originally thought, but I think Schilling had been the frontrunner for much of the season in many people's eyes, and they might gloss over the fact that he did fade. There definitely was a point late in the season that Schilling had the edge (or at least had the basis for an argument)--I just hope the voters look at the final results.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Most memorable moment is likely to go to Jackie Robinson's breaking the color barrier.

I also support it. It was a step to right a lot of wrongs and the introduction of players of color had a profound impact on the game.

I take issue with the promo of his rookie season. "Robinson's rookie season - fearless." How stupid is that? He was scared to death most of the season and suffered huge stress and understandably so. The correct term is courageous. It took a rare person to endure and persevere. Robinson was huge.

Now if it were for singular moments; Maz and then Kirk Gibson.

Phil L

Supporting Actor
I'm a Yankee fan but I can't believe that Derek Lowe has been practically dismissed as a Cy Young contender.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Ripken breaking Gehrig's record the most memorable moment? Maybe a Top-5 moment, but not the top moment. That should have been reserved for Jackie Robinson breaking down the color barrier. I'd also rank Rose breaking Cobb's record and Bobby Thomson's home run for the '51 Giants ahead of Ripken's feat. Unfortunate that the voters have such short memories. Once again, it was nice to see Pete Rose getting the recognition he deserves from the fans, since MLB still treats him like a pariah.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks