What's new

World Poker Tour Season 2 Starts (1 Viewer)

Doug R

Supporting Actor
sorta wrong thread I guess but what happened to ESPN's WSOP 2004? It was on Tivo for June 8th, 9 pm but now has disappeared. Anyone know any news?

James_S

Second Unit
ALL NEW TONIGHT:

Bay101
"San Jose's Bay 101 Shooting Star"

Seat 1 Chris Moneymaker Starting Chip Count: $215,000
Seat 2 Susan Kim Starting Chip Count: $172,000
Seat 3 Masoud Shojael Starting Chip Count: $416,000
Seat 4 Mark Mache Starting Chip Count: $175,000
Seat 5 Scott Wilson Starting Chip Count: $203,000
Seat 6 Phil Gordon Starting Chip Count: $1,238,000

Finally get to see Moneymaker in a new game, I am sick and tired of seeing repeats of his 2003 win at the WSOP.

Phil has a commanding chip lead, it will be interesting to see if he holds on to it.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Damn, that was one crazy finish!

Too bad I have a clock on my VCR, so I knew the time, and I knew he'd call, and somehow he'd get the card he'd need to bust the other 2 guys out.

And, Phil Gordon also collects the $5k bounty on Moneymaker's head too. :D

This tournament does sound pretty fun with the bounty aspect of it. What I don't understand is why there was no bounty on Phil Gordon's head as well.

It was also funny how neither Sexton or Van Patton could say "World Series of Poker 2003 winner, Chris Moneymaker", but would allude to him winning some vague poker title last year. I guess the WPT doesn't want to promote the WSOP at all if possible. At least Moneymaker doesn't appear to be a super-duper lucky player and made some good bets to earn his pots.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Phil tried bullying people around, but went in bluffing with so-so hands and was rattled early on, but as his hands got better, so did his winning of the pots.

NolanJ

Second Unit
It was one of the best tournaments of the season, in my opinion, as far as excitement goes.

Phil Gordon looked to be very angry at times... particularly when he revealed his bluff (when holding K2 to the Iranian's K 10).

I was pulling for Moneymaker, simply because so many people call him a "lucky player." Personally I think it's absurd for anyone to call a tournament winner lucky, ESPECIALLY if it's the World Series of Poker.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, if you bluff, and the other guy susses it out, and exposes you, it does hurt, especially if you pride yourself on pulling off strong bluffs. But Phil looked strangely nervous at the start of the game when he'd bluff $200,000 trying to buy the pot. So I think he gave himself away on his bluffs, so that's something he needs to work on, but he plays the odds very well (like most pro poker players do, and the only way, usually, to beat them is to beat them on the river and outdraw them).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
6/16/04 - Mexican Cruisin'

Now I remember why I hate Limit Holdem: Pretty much everyone chases the river card, even the pro's. It's so tempting to keep firing into the pot given the pot odds at the end just to see each other's cards. Bah.

Scotty had no decent starting hands and got bled. Barry would not go away. Stevie was just trying to hang around to finish in 3rd. The construction guy couldn't read the other player if their cards were on their foreheads.

That Daniel Negreanu was getting annoying, his high pitched voice doesn't help matters. I was sort of glad to see E-Dog put Daniel out of his misery.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Yeah, I hafta agree. Limit hold 'em doesn't make for the compelling TV that No Limit does.

Rob

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I finally got out of the hospital after 3&1/2 weeks so haven't been in front of a computer for awhile.

I agree that limit hold-em isn't nearly as fun to watch as no limit, but man that was a lot of money last night. I can't believe there's only one episode left until the Finals (though there should be the "Bad Boys of Poker" special, and there is still the Hollywood Home Game, which I like more than Celebrity Poker on Bravo).

Speaking of which, I love Dave Foley, but does he have to get wasted by the end of each episode?

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
So we now know that whatever episode of WPT we are watching next season that Ben Affleck wins if he gets in the game. Too bad there isn't a way to only tell that to people who don't mind spoilers (but I heard it on the news too.) :)

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
So we now know that whatever episode of WPT we are watching next season that Ben Affleck wins if he gets in the game. Too bad there isn't a way to only tell that to people who don't mind spoilers (but I heard it on the news too.) :)

James_S

Second Unit
*** NEW EPISODE ***
Reno Hilton's World Poker Challenge
Wednesday Jun 23, 2004

Seat 1: Paul Clarke Starting Chip Count: $829,000
Seat 2: Tony Bloom Starting Chip Count: $533,000
Seat 3: Harry Knopp Starting Chip Count: $708,000
Seat 4: Peter Muller Starting Chip Count: $430,000
Seat 5: Young Phan Starting Chip Count: $183,000
Seat 6: Michael Kinney Starting Chip Count: $739,000

James_S

Second Unit
*** NEW EPISODE ***
Reno Hilton's World Poker Challenge
Wednesday Jun 23, 2004

Seat 1: Paul Clarke Starting Chip Count: $829,000
Seat 2: Tony Bloom Starting Chip Count: $533,000
Seat 3: Harry Knopp Starting Chip Count: $708,000
Seat 4: Peter Muller Starting Chip Count: $430,000
Seat 5: Young Phan Starting Chip Count: $183,000
Seat 6: Michael Kinney Starting Chip Count: $739,000

NolanJ

Second Unit
I was pulling for Eskimo, but Kinney played very well the whole game and deserved to win.

With that being said, I didn't care for Kinney's table antics. I think it's disrespectful to gloat over your bluffs and when he yelled out "He's Drawing Dead!" I thought that was also a bit out of line.

Also, he got way too excited when he held the pocket K's and acted like he already won the hand when Eskimo called with just the pair of queens on the board.

Best line of the night, came from Mike Sexton: "For those in Idaho, you better watch your potatoes" (or something similar to that, can't remember exactly).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks