What's new

Workbench and storage ideas (1 Viewer)

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
In the unending summer of projects, I've decided it is time to convert the rear of the garage into a workshop. As such, I'd like to install a large workbench or two, some storage cabinets and shelving.

I'm looking for steel construction with a good solid surface and some matching cabinets and shelves. I'm curious what you all have in your workshop.

Thanks!

-greg

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Start with a Craftsman cabinet, with the right number/type/size of drawers that you need, and go from there.

I have a pegboard on the wall behind mine, if you're into that.

Glenn

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'm about to do the same thing. Pegboard is good, just cut some thin strips of 3/8 lath to keep it away from the wall behind it.

I have a workbench I built in high school (decades ago) which I'm finally puttung into service. The top is laminated/planed 2x4s on a sturdy 4x4/2x4 base, modelled after our woodworking tables in shop.

I'm also looking at Craftsman steel tool drawer sets, preferably with more smaller drawers than full width ones - makes organising tools easier.

I wish that someone would come up with a useable socket set holder, and not these junk "everything falls out when you open it" abominations. I may build some in-drawer socket holders once I get my drill press set up.

I'm also going to get a couple of vises, and probably install a cleating system on one bench. Another project for the drill press... pretty soon I'll have justified that purchase! :)

Jay Heyl

Stunt Coordinator
The Gladiator products have been featured on "This Old House" and "Hometime". They look very sturdy and easy to install and re-arrange. The wall panel system is very slick. Unfortunately, they're also a bit on the pricey side.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
The thing with the Craftsman sets are that you can 'add on' with a slightly smaller box that will fit onto, and lock with, the one on the floor. You could always buy a smaller unit first, and get the big one later, and set the entire set, on wheels, next to your bench.

I just have the bench set, but with lots of drawers, and it holds just about everything. (Ok, I do have some items that I should toss, but don't have the heart to).

Jeff, what kind of socket holders have you looked at? I'm using the square black ones with the plastic pegs that snap into the holes, and lifting the entire holder up is easy. I don't have any of the larger sockets, but they do make those strip ones with the bar that locks all of them in place too.

Glenn

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
All I have for sockets right now is a Craftsman set in a moulded foldout plastic case, which invariably distributes its contents everywhere when opened - it originally had a piece of cardboard to keep the top elements in place, but that is long gone. It's nicely organized, but not so well engineered. When I get around to getting a tool chest, the sockets will go in there, but I haven't really looked at options for them yet.

One thing to consider is ease of access to heavier items. I'm thinking of installing slide out shelves under one of the benches for larger hand tools, or cubicles at bench height for the smaller stuff, like jigsaws, drills, etc. Having a bar somewhere to hold your clamp collection is good.

Many companies make those two piece tool chests, but most I've seen only have single or double drawers on the top. The Craftsman I was looking at had two rows of three, which is good for the smaller tool collections, like scrapers, putty knives, nail sets, and so forth. I don't really see a need for huge drawers, since I am not going to be collecting a lot large wrenches or that type of thing. I'll need more storage for small power tools, accessories, and so forth.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Yep, I do know EXACTLY what you mean about those plastic cases. Man, do they suck! I keep them open all of the time in a drawer. Look at the other options. For me, the black square one worked the best.

I do have 2 big drawers on mine, and one is for most of my power tools. For me it works. The pull-out shelves are ok, but with some benches you can add the drawers in later. Nice if you want to build it up gradually.

For more storage, I put a shelf up just about my head. Beneath it is a 4' flourescent lamp, plugged into a power strip securely mounted on one edge of the pegboard.

It would be nice to have about a zillion dolars and lots of time!

I forgot to add - if this will work too - Get yourself a bookcase. I had one about 3' long, 2 feet high and 1' deep. Put a door on it made out of pegboard, with hinges and a hook to keep it closed. Does double-duty.

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks