What's new

Woman jailed for having relations with 15-year-old boy. (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I would think that the age of consent being at 18 has to do with the parents responsibilities and the fact that the person is still condiered a minor (if pregnant).

Would the mother still be responsible for the child? Especially since she's still considered to be under the care of her parents?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I agree that it's ridiculous to have such a high drinking age. The only reason I can see is due to the driving habits of people under 21 (and adding the effects of alcohol into that equation), but if they implemented a "Zero tolerance" law for drinking and driving under the age of 21 as well as not allowing them in the bars (i.e. I personally don't want to be at a bar with drunken teens), then I would be all for lowering the age limit.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Traffic is bad enough around here, with a bunch of drunk teenagers getting hummers driving around.

Of course, when I was 15, that would have sounded pretty good.;)

The "Age of Consent" largely applies to sexual activities with another individual who is not in a position of power/authority. Hence in the case where the Age Of Consent is 14, a 14 year old CAN consent to having sexual relationships with anyone EXCEPT those in a position of authority such as Teachers, Teacher Aides, etc... It is illegal for someone to abuse thier position of authority/power to procure sexual relations with a minor where there is an uneven power base.

In such cases the sexual activity would be deemed deemed illegal in the majority of jurisdictions regardless of the Age of Consent. Getting a conviction on said activity though proves more difficult. Professionally, most anyone in a position such as a teacher is finished in terms of thier career at the very least.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Debra Lafave was also in the news this morning, I had CNN HDLN on when I was getting ready for work.

I missed what was being said though.

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
Bet she gets a lighter sentence then a man would have doing the same thing.

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
Man, I used to live in McMinnville, but that was back in the late 70s early 80s. It is a small town so I was thinking I might know this chic or her husband but I don't.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
>"Bet she gets a lighter sentence then a man would have doing the same thing."

Yeah, poor guys, being treated so badly for a trifle like RAPE ....

Kevin T

Screenwriter

i think dany was making reference to "consentual" sex between an adult and teenager. not a man forcing himself onto a teenager. how the sentencing / punishment goes is up to the judge. i don't have sex with teenage girls so i don't have to worry about that.

kevin t

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
That's the way I saw it as well.

Meaning, when it's a teenage boy, he has a harder time playing the "victim" role over the teenage girl, which would translate to the older man having a harder time (with the law) than the older woman.

But this is just my observation on the way people think and has nothing to do with factual law.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

That's how it read for me as well, traditionally Men have always received harsher sentences than Women for the same crime....even when the crime is for murdering their children men are almost always portrayed as coldblooded evil monsters without a sign of mental illness who knew exactly what they were doing yet there always seems to be a societal shred of doubt (or if you wish, an excuse) on the womens part reading along the lines that her husband didn't talk to her or surely he was abusive or "she must have mental problems because women just don't do that sort of thing"...infanticide of course has been shown to be much more of a female committed crime than male & it has been happening, and documented, for centuries.
IMO this comes from our society's still lingering male dominated view of women as being innocent paragons of virtue never (or rarely) subject to the baser human animal violent drives that men seem to be portrayed as always having just under the surface. IMO ALL humans have this potential, not just men, and this viewpoint even shows itself in the most seemingly subtle & innocuous aspects of our society even down to countless commercials that portray men as blundering dolts who couldn't tie their shoes without a womens help....in all fairness however these commercials are more than likely produced by men who think this will appeal to the female consumer audience that they are pandering to.

Anyway, yes I agree that if a male had done this (and they do quite often) and they had been caught they would be in jail right this second for no less than 10 years...in my opinion at any rate.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
>"IMO ALL humans have this potential, not just men,"

Uh huh. I'm sure it's the male cops' and male-dominated courts' prejudice against men that accounts for the fact that men commit 95% or more of all rapes, murders, armed robberies, and other violent crimes.

Certainly women have the potential, however they seem to be able to control it better.

Cite some studies that show men get harsher sentences for relations with young women (as opposed to vice versa).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks