What's new

WOAH! Barfly used from $98.78?!?!?! (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey all, I guess this went OOP a while back. I have a copy and it is one of my faves but $98.78 the cheapest used price on Amazon?!?! WTF?!?!?
Why did it go OOP and why is it SOOO expensive?

d

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Wow! I had no idea that this went OOP either.

Seeing that it is tied to Bukowski, I don't doubt the rapid increase in price. I search for him on Ebay now and then, and you can find books and autographs going for $500+ on a regular basis. His cult status is only continuing to grow also.

Maybe the documentary "Born Into This" about Bukowski has increased demand and there is a super SE in devlopment. HMMMMM, could be!

eric tengren

Stunt Coordinator
this is a great flick. I sold mine on amazon for 106.00 bucks and bought the aussie region 4 for 15.00. I think collectors of dvds should buy a region free dvd player and save a few bucks.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Here is what I suspect happened to BARFLY.

In the waning days of Cannon Films, before Giancarlo Paretti bought them and fused them into MGM, Cannon did a lot of business with Warner Bros. On some occasions, WB became equity partners in Cannon-produced films like SUPERMAN IV and A CRY IN THE DARK, but more often Cannon just sold them advance video rights to their movies. (Cannon's strategy was often to presell movie rights before it was even shot, thus using the sales money to finance that film or another one that was unfinished)
As such, the license that WB had for Cannon titles like BARFLY may be finally expiring, and those titles likely reverting to MGM, who already control the theatrical and intellectual property rights to them. That's my guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks