What's new

WKRP In Cincinnati: The Complete Series Review (See Posts #218 & 356 for Info) (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Things get bollocksed-up for mods when we have to remove posts from a thread. We can still "see them", I guess...even though they have been removed from view of the general membership. That's why I'm off by a few.

There's some inside baseball for ya! :biggrin:

AndrewCrossett

Second Unit
Looks like they had a limited budget for Rolling Stones songs and used most of it on the earlier episodes, thinking (probably correctly) that they'd be the more popular ones and more important to be kept intact.

Kind of baffling why they could use the Herb Alpert track in one episode and not another.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
AndrewCrossett said:
Kind of baffling why they could use the Herb Alpert track in one episode and not another.
Yeah, the same thing happened with Van Morrison. Caravan cleared but Wavelength not cleared.

TJSBEATLES

Agent
Real Name
T.J.
sallas22 said:
IF THE BAFOONS WOULD HAVE RAISED THE MSRP BY 10 BUCKS OR SO, THE EXTRA $$ THEY WOULD MADE WOULD HAVE BEEN COVERED AND WE WOULD HAVE LESS MUSIC REPLACEMENTS

IF THE BAFOONS WOULD HAVE RAISED THE MSRP BY 10 BUCKS OR SO, THE EXTRA $$ THEY WOULD MADE WOULD HAVE BEEN COVERED AND WE WOULD HAVE LESS MUSIC REPLACEMENTS
Welcome back, Kent! Couple of things: 1) I'm loving the 'KRP set! Sure there's many flaws, but it's brought me a ton of joy as I've seen scenes I never knew existed that were cut for syndication. 2) I assume, based on your careful analysis of the Gamma issues that have gripped the nation for years, that you bought the set? Way to stick it to Shout! by, you know, um, buying the product you doth protest so much. 3) My mother always told me that anyone who spells "buffoon" incorrectly is probably not to be taken seriously.

I know you'll be removed soon my a moderator, but I look forward to getting a good laugh from your next all-caps post using a different name. In the meantime, I'll be watching and loving this really impressive set.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Post #218 was just updated.

I added a number of updates sent to me by Brian Himes which he says were culled by he and Rob (Obtuse).

It ought to be current now.

Obtuse

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
Venus Rising:
Kenny Loggins: This Is It
Ray Charles-Tell The Truth
Sly & The Family Stone: The Same Thing (Makes You Laugh, Makes You Cry)
The Flying Lizards: Money
?????
One down, one to go.....
Looks like they used that song (Tell The Truth) twice in the series....it's also used in "Baby, It's Cold Inside".
Had a hunch it was "Brother Ray"......just had to pin down the song.
In the case of "Venus Rising"...the section in question begins at 1:52 here:

(The section used in "Baby It's Cold Inside" starts at 2:21)

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Brian & Rob, I can't thank you enough for all the work you put into this...

I went through the list, and what I understand, the only shows that are missing footage (not just audio changes) are

Hold Up - (Herb Fired)
Turkey's Away - (Floyd reference)
Mama'a Review - (Loni's Credit)
Contest Nobody Could Win - (alternate ending)
Family Affair - (Johnny mentioning Hendrix)
In Concert - (empty booth shot)
*EDIT Mike Fright - (Johnny announcing Sports)
*EDIT Jennifer & Johnny's Charity - (John Lennon line)

*EDIT Put Up or Shut Up - (Herb Singing ) Footage is there

Correct? Or were any of the other shows with dialog changes edited to fit new dialog?

Thanks again...

lj01

Agent
Real Name
Lyle
I think there was a removed line from Season 4 episode "Johnny & Jennifer's Charity" where Johnny referenced John Lennon. I believe that is the only missing footage from Season 4.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Hasslein said:
Brian & Rob, I can't thank you enough for all the work you put into this...

I went through the list, and what I understand, the only shows that are missing footage (not just audio changes) are

Hold Up - (Herb Fired)
Turkey's Away - (Floyd reference)
Mama'a Review - (Loni's Credit)
Contest Nobody Could Win - (alternate ending)
Family Affair - (Johnny mentioning Hendrix)
Put Up or Shut Up - (Herb Singing Our Day Will Come)
In Concert - (empty booth shot)

Correct? Or were any of the other shows with dialog changes edited to fit new dialog?

Mike Fright?

Thanks again...
The season 4 episode Jennifer & Johnny's Charity is missing the John Lennon line.

Technically, Put Up Or Shut Up isn't missing any footage. The entire scene is still there, Herb's singing has just been eliminated.

Additionally, I wouldn't count The Contest That Nobody Could Win as missing footage since at this time we don't know which version is the original 'as aired' version.

Mike Fright is missing a couple of lines of dialogue. Johnny back announcing Sports Who Listens To The Radio and the line 'For those of you who do, here are the morning headlines' has been eliminated. Instead Johnny just says, 'here are the morning headlines.'

AndrewCrossett

Second Unit
I can kind of understand why they removed dialog references to music that got replaced with something else (i.e., Pink Floyd). There could be some weird legal issues with falsely identifying a piece of music, I guess. But I sure don't understand why they can't leave in a reference to a song that's just completely removed (i.e., The Sports). I mean, something had to be playing before Johnny came in with his announcement, right?

Pretty soon the music industry will copyright the word "music" itself, I think.

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Brian Himes said:
The season 4 episode Jennifer & Johnny's Charity is missing the John Lennon line.

Technically, Put Up Or Shut Up isn't missing any footage. The entire scene is still there, Herb's singing has just been eliminated.

Additionally, I wouldn't count The Contest That Nobody Could Win as missing footage since at this time we don't know which version is the original 'as aired' version.

Mike Fright is missing a couple of lines of dialogue. Johnny back announcing Sports Who Listens To The Radio and the line 'For those of you who do, here are the morning headlines' has been eliminated. Instead Johnny just says, 'here are the morning headlines.'
Wow thanks... I'm going to begin looking to see how much "bug-less" video footage I do have... If my tapes haven't rotted in storage... Like I said before, I am really excited about this set because of your posts & you guys not only did a service for the fans but also for Shout! for your work... Anyone on the fence shouldn't be anymore...

Obtuse

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
If my math is correct, this puts us around 85% cleared.
AndrewCrossett said:
I can kind of understand why they removed dialog references to music that got replaced with something else (i.e., Pink Floyd). There could be some weird legal issues with falsely identifying a piece of music, I guess. But I sure don't understand why they can't leave in a reference to a song that's just completely removed (i.e., The Sports). I mean, something had to be playing before Johnny came in with his announcement, right?

Pretty soon the music industry will copyright the word "music" itself, I think.
I'd rather have no announcement instead of "Brother Marlon and The Surf Riders" (sadly that one made it through).

Doris2k

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doris
Only seven episodes have any missing video and all other changes have been done to the audio only. Wow. This set has vastly exceeded my expectations!

awhite2600

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
I've pre-ordered my set from a local retailer. Looking forward to pickup next Tuesday. Owning the entire series with most of the original music and without the syndication edits is a dream come true.

Just a curiosity for those that have already received their copies... Are subtitles or closed captioning present? I don't have a hearing impairment. I just think it might be fun to "see" some of the great jokes written out. I'm assuming that only English language audio is included. Was the series ever dubbed for distribution in non-English speaking countries? (Would Les Nessman pronounce Chi-Chi Rodriguez correctly if he spoke Spanish?)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks