What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

WKRP...Complete Series Coming Soon! (See Post #109) (1 Viewer)

Claude North

Second Unit
The Obsolete Man said:
Out of the songs actually mentioned by name on the old S1 list ( http://zvbxrpl.blogspot.com/2007/03/wkrp-dvd-not-ok.html ), the only artists not represented on the new cleared list are the Beach Boys.
I'm a little bit worried about this because that last scene of the "Goodbye Johnny" episode made a huge impact on me when it originally aired. I found that shot of the empty doorway, accompanied by that snippet of "Surfin' U.S.A.", quite haunting. When I think about the use of music on WKRP, I immediately think of that moment. Still, I think it's impressive that Shout Factory has managed to clear as much as they have.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Well, Jennifer's door bell is an unknown. Technically there is no artist to list or not list. That is a wait and see.Maurice Chevalier has been AWOL since the show went to syndication. It was the first time I ever heard a music substitution ever. It apparently wasn't even cleared for the less restrictive broadcast rights.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Some of these, I would be happy with comparable music. At any rate, I would much rather have that than generic filler.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Ok, here is the breakdown of the season 1 episodes and the music. Songs in bold are from artists on the list, so I assume that their songs will be included on the new set. Also, there are a few instances where the cast sing snippets of songs or recites lyrics. These instances have been noted but I will not know if they are included until I actually view the set. There are a couple of music instances (Jennifer's doorbell for example) that are also wait and see moments. Anyway, here is what I have found out for season 1.

Season 1

Pilot:

Ted Nugent: Queen Of The Forest

Pilot part 2:

The Rolling Stones: Shattered, Lies
Bob Seger: Ole Time Rock and Roll

Les On A Ledge: Songs/Artists unknown. The source I’m using doesn’t have a list of what songs are in this episode. However, I will be comparing the Shout DVD version against the Fox DVD version so I’ll have to get back to this one later.

Hoodlum Rock: All songs should be included since they were written for the episode. The only question is whether or not this is the full length version or the syndicated version. Have to wait and see on this one.

Hold Up:

Janis Joplin: Mercedes Benz
Bob Dylan: Like A Rolling Stone

Bailey’s Show:

A Taste Of Honey: Boogie, Oogie, Oogie (not listed by Shout but is was on the Fox DVD so I don't see why it would be missing here)
Elvis Presley: Jail House Rock
Boston: Don’t Look Back

Turkey’s Away:

Pink Floyd: Dogs
Joe Cocker: Fun Time
Creedence Clearwater Revival: It Came Out Of The Sky

Love Returns: Songs/Artists unknown. The source I’m using doesn’t have a list of what songs are in this episode, but I will compare the Shout DVD to the Fox DVD for any changes.

Mama’s Review: This is a clip show, so I would assume that any songs used in the previous episodes would still be present in this episode. On the Fox DVD, the one original scene filmed (a cut away scene with Venus) was cut. I will have to check the Shout DVD to see if the scene is intact.

A Date With Jennifer:

Foreigner: Hot Blooded
The Grateful Dead: Shakedown Street

The Contest Nobody Could Win:

Captain Beefheart: Suction Prints
Nicolette Larson: Lotta Love
The O’Jays: For The Love Of Money
Eric Clapton: (I don’t know the song but since he’s on the list, I’m gonna count this one as being there)

Contest Songs: The Boys: Too Wild Too Tame
The Rolling Stones: Tumbling Dice
The Village People: YMCA
Wayne Newton: Danke Schoen
Heart: Straight On
The National Anthem

It looks like all of the songs in the contest may be replaced (except possibly The Stones song and The National Anthem) which will mean that the callers will have redubbed dialogue to name fake songs by fake artists. Bummer.

Tornado:

Elvis Costello: Goon Squad

Also, in the original version Les plays The Star Spangled Banner but in the syndicated versions he plays American The Beautiful. So, the version of The Star Spangled Banner may be a performance that may not be usable. We will have wait and see. It wasn’t on the Fox DVD.

Goodbye Johnny:

The Beach Boys: Surfin’ USA

There is also a song that Johnny plays in the opening scene. I don’t know what it is but it was replaced on the Fox DVD and Les’ dialogue was overdubbed. We’ll have to wait and see if the scene is altered on the Shout DVD.

Johnny Comes Back:

Linda Ronstadt: Ooh Baby Baby
Van Morrison: Into The Mystic
Derek & The Dominoes: Layla

Never Leave Me, Lucille:

Eddie Money: Everybody Rock ‘N’ Roll The Place

Les Nessman sings a bit of Heartbreak Hotel (this is up for grabs. It’s not on the Fox DVD, but it just might be there)

I Want To Keep My Baby:

The Kinks: A Rock ‘N’ Roll Fantasy
Carla Thomas: B-A-B-Y
Bob Marley: Lively Up Yourself
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young: Teach Your Children
Elvis Presley: Return To Sender
Randy Newman: Your Prayers Are Answered
James Taylor: Your Smiling Face
Toto: Hold The Line

A Commercial Break:

The Coasters: Young Blood
Blondie: Heart Of Glass

Bailey sings Amazing Grace, Jennifer sings Happy Birthday and Herb recites Sing by The Carpenters. Bailey and Jennifer’s songs should be there. Herb reciting the lyrics might not. It was cut on the Fox DVD. Also, Johnny sings a quick refrain of So Long that was cut on the Fox DVD. More wait and see moments.

Who Is Gordon Sims?:

Donald Byrd: Flight Time
Chuck Mangione: Last Dance

I Do, I Do…For Now:

Jennifer’s Doorbell: Fly Me To The Moon (status unknown at this time)
Hoyt Axton: Della & The Dealer, and one other song I don’t know the title (He’s not on the list but there is no reason to believe that Hoyt and his songs won't be included on this new set since they were on the Fox DVD)

Young Mister Carlson:

Theme From Patton (status unknown at this time. It was cut on the Fox DVD)
Van Morrison: Caravan
Sam & Dave: Soul Man

Fish Story:

Jerry Lee Lewis: Drinkin' Wine Spo-Dee-O-Dee
Freddie King: I’m Torn Down
Styx: Blue Collar Man
The Doors: Light My Fire, Alabama Song (aka Whiskey Bar)

There is also a moment where Venus sings. I don’t know the song so I don’t know if it will be included or not. Another wait and see moment.

Preacher:

The Beatles: I’m Down
The Cars: Just What I Needed

I will work on season 2 tomorrow. I should have it ready by Wednesday. This took WAY longer to do than I thought it would. I will try and have all four seasons done and posted by Saturday.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Brian, thanks so much for your work on compling this list...looking forward to the rest! That really is a bummer about the songs in "The Contest" which is one of my favorite episodes. Oh well, it looks like they were able to clear enough to get me to make the purchase. This is likely the best release we'll ever see of this wonderful show.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
During Hold Up they also play Van Halen (Del blasting), they're not on the list put out so probably have the syndication junk instead. It's not important to the story anyway, though it's funny when he switches it on.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Yeah that article is very mis leading. I even went on twitter to let EW know. It needs updated for sure. Even the Shout Early release of 9/23 is also delayed until 10/9. Some people who read that are going to be slightly dissapointed lol

kitt1987

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy
Keep in mind that Shout's press release states that the list includes "SOME of the artists.." hopefully there are more surprises not listed. Needless to say I'm very content with the list and it shows that they went above and beyond what was previously thought of as "Impossible." One would think the hold outs would see the list and suddenly change their minds. I know my opinion of the hold outs has certainly changed once it's revealed who they are. Heck MAYBE that explains the short delay in releasing the pre order sets. Who knows but one thing for sure is that Shout should be commended for their efforts. Those who disagree don't have to buy the set.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
kitt1987 said:
Keep in mind that Shout's press release states that the list includes "SOME of the artists.." hopefully there are more surprises not listed. Needless to say I'm very content with the list and it shows that they went above and beyond what was previously thought of as "Impossible." One would think the hold outs would see the list and suddenly change their minds. I know my opinion of the hold outs has certainly changed once it's revealed who they are. Heck MAYBE that explains the short delay in releasing the pre order sets. Who knows but one thing for sure is that Shout should be commended for their efforts. Those who disagree don't have to buy the set.
Well said!

Rattlers76

Auditioning
Real Name
Robin
I've been curious for a long time about a song, which is featured in the "Real Families" episode. It plays in the background as Johnny kids with the interviewer about Herb's last name actually being Nietzsche. Several websites give listings for the episode's tunes ("Peg," "Once in a Lifetime," "Deacon Blues," "You Shook Me All Night Long") but nowhere is this specific song ever mentioned. If anyone recognizes the title, please let me know. I found a link with the episode split into different parts. The song in question is featured in Part 3 at the 1:17-:52 mark. Thank you to everyone for the news on the upcoming set. Can't wait! http://zvbxrpl.blogspot.com/2008/03/wkrp-episode-real-families.html

Thanks Guy, it was "She Talks in Stereo" by Gary Myrick and the Figures. I always figured "Stereo" had to be part of the title. Just downloaded the MP3. :D You made my day - THANKS.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Rattlers76 said:
I've been curious for a long time about a song, which is featured in the "Real Families" episode. It plays in the background as Johnny kids with the interviewer about Herb's last name actually being Nietzsche. Several websites give listings for the episode's tunes ("Peg," "Once in a Lifetime," "Deacon Blues," "You Shook Me All Night Long") but nowhere is this specific song ever mentioned. If anyone recognizes the title, please let me know. I found a link with the episode split into different parts. The song in question is featured in Part 3 at the 1:17-:52 mark. Thank you to everyone for the news on the upcoming set. Can't wait! http://zvbxrpl.blogspot.com/2008/03/wkrp-episode-real-families.html
I figured it out!
Gary Myrick and the Figures - She Talks in Stereo

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Powell&Pressburger said:
Sorry I didn't mean it was or wasn't a cause for the delay but as of about a week ago per shout they had said the release dates were on track I only mentioned the music because if I hadn't someone would say, it was because of the music lol. either way I may just cancel my Shout preorder since it isn't like we are getting it that much earlier and amazon is still at about 97.00
I see it's at about $86,- at DVDPacific...

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I am sticking with Amazon $97.00 ish with Prime shipping is golden for this set IMO. I didn't mean to sound like that price was too high I just meant that since the gap for early orders and amazon orders isn't that large any longer to warrant the Shout VS Amazon price difference.

Now Oct 28th can't come soon enough. :)

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
This listing I found posted over at Blu-Ray.coms DVD WKRP thread.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jWiewI2fp1l9gxrIXXhbWWT1a_L4kvASk4UFYLFl4Hw/edit?pli=1#gid=1213980441

If it is in fact correct then we are still missing a lot. Maybe we should have begged SHOUT for a Kickstarter program I would have paid a lot more for a more complete set. Not knocking this one but if anything needed Kickstarter this did.

I tweeted Brian Ward who is always helpful, I asked regarding song counts and what we are saying back /forth on net. he said 140 songs out of 250(est) is a low estimate.. and that no one including press has seen the discs yet.

Maybe a better list will be forthcoming from Shout soon. I think consumers should be aware.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
Why are people assuming money is an issue?

Really, it never occurred to anyone that some of these songs aren't for sale?

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
albert_m2 said:
Why are people assuming money is an issue?

Really, it never occurred to anyone that some of these songs aren't for sale?
True it isn't always about money but you have to admit in some cases it helps.

Fingers crossed we get a more complete list from SHOUT in the next few weeks. :)

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Whatever the amount of actual music, it has to be better than the FOX set from a few years ago (at least for the people that didn't like the FOX set.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks