What's new

WKRP...Complete Series Coming Soon! (See Post #109) (1 Viewer)

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Brian Himes said:
For anyone who would like to have a copy of this list, I am providing it here as an attachment. Through the use of an alternative source I was able to go back and fill in some information to the missing season 1 episodes as well as some songs and music that I missed in my initial posting. I missed the window to edit my season 1 list. I also corrected some spelling errors for both season 1 and 2 that I was unable to correct in my original posts.

attachicon.gif
WKRP Song List.docx
That is a huge effort, Brian. I'm sure I speak for many here when I say "thank you" (which hardly seems adequate).

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Just an FYI. Here are the artists on Shout's list that I was unable to match up with a song.

Buddy Holly
Evelyn ‘Chanpagne’ King
Living Voices
Jean-Luc Ponty
The Sherbs
Lauren Wood
Neil Young

So, there are seven holes in my list that could be filled if someone can identify what songs these folks had in the series and where.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
KPmusmag said:
That is a huge effort, Brian. I'm sure I speak for many here when I say "thank you" (which hardly seems adequate).
You're quite welcome. Please go back and re-download the list. I found a few more errors that I have corrected as well as a song that I missed for Waylon Jennings.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Brian Himes said:
Here is the list for season 3.

Season 3

Daydreams:

The song As Time Goes Buy is heard somewhere in this episode, however the source I’m using had their video pulled due to copyright issues. Since it hasn’t been uploaded anywhere else, I’m unable to view it to double check my other source. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see on this one.
"As Time Goes By" plays as underscore during Les' daydream, in which he and Bailey are parting ways during WWII, with Les heroically quoting Bogart's "hill of beans" speech from Casablanca. It is not a vintage recording, sounds contemporary (to 1980), featuring a pop male vocal (no idea who) with piano. Any decent recording of the song would work for the scene. That being said, IMO the scene would work with no underscore, although the nostalgic nod to Casablanca is touching.

During Jennifer's daydream involving Cary Grant (who morphs into Les), a piano rendition of "Stardust" is heard as underscore.

During Andy's daydream, what sounds to me like "The Love Theme from The Godfather" plays as underscore. I'm not 100% sure on that one, but the music sounds very Godfather-like; if not the actual love theme melody it sounds close to it as I immediately thought of it.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
KPmusmag said:
"As Time Goes By" plays as underscore during Les' daydream, in which he and Bailey are parting ways during WWII, with Les heroically quoting Bogart's "hill of beans" speech from Casablanca. It is not a vintage recording, sounds contemporary (to 1980), featuring a pop male vocal (no idea who) with piano. Any decent recording of the song would work for the scene. That being said, IMO the scene would work with no underscore, although the nostalgic nod to Casablanca is touching.

During Jennifer's daydream involving Cary Grant (who morphs into Les), a piano rendition of "Stardust" is heard as underscore.

During Andy's daydream, what sounds to me like "The Love Theme from The Godfather" plays as underscore. I'm not 100% sure on that one, but the music sounds very Godfather-like; if not the actual love theme melody it sounds close to it as I immediately thought of it.
Thanks. I have updated my list to reflect those.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Hasslein said:
But the question is, when Carlson asks the name of the "orchestra" and Johnny says Pink Floyd, when it isn't (if replaced) .. then picks up the LP... Can they do that? I don't know.... Has that ever been done before on a home video release? Claiming a song was by an artist, when in fact it wasn't?
I don't think that this would be a problem. Several of the songs on the list I compiled are announced either by Johnny or Venus and only the first few seconds are heard. Sometimes not even enough to tell what the song actually is. So, they might be able to get away with claiming some other song with dogs barking is Pink Floyd. It would preserve the joke and the scene. As the scene appears on the Fox DVD set, it is pretty meaningless. Carlson just wanders into the booth, Johnny gives him a strange look and Carlson leaves. Pointless.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
AndrewCrossett said:
I doubt there would be a problem with playing a different song than the one called out in the dialogue. Didn't they do that a few times in the syndication cuts of WKRP... having a DJ announce one song and then play a replacement? The only way I could see it being a problem is if the replacement song was so bad as to constitute slander.
Yes, I do believe that in some syndicated versions of some episodes that the song announced is not the song that is played. I don't have an issue with this, if you only hear the first few seconds of the song. I'd say replace it. However, if the song continues to play softly and there is dialogue over the music, every effort should be made to keep the song so as not to edit or replace the dialogue. Pink Floyd's Dogs is a prime example of this. Also losing the song (Dogs) ruins a good joke in the scene.

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Brian Himes said:
I don't think that this would be a problem. Several of the songs on the list I compiled are announced either by Johnny or Venus and only the first few seconds are heard. Sometimes not even enough to tell what the song actually is. So, they might be able to get away with claiming some other song with dogs barking is Pink Floyd. It would preserve the joke and the scene. As the scene appears on the Fox DVD set, it is pretty meaningless. Carlson just wanders into the booth, Johnny gives him a strange look and Carlson leaves. Pointless.
I don't know that it's pointless. I still like the cut version of the scene. It's pretty funny even if it's cut. You could take Mr. Carlson's wandering around the booth and Johnny's reaction (or lack thereof) as just Mr. Carlson's not really fitting in among the cool people of the station. You know, his clueless-ness ?

Doris2k

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doris
Brian Himes said:
Just an FYI. Here are the artists on Shout's list that I was unable to match up with a song.

Buddy Holly
Evelyn ‘Chanpagne’ King
Living Voices
Jean-Luc Ponty
The Sherbs
Lauren Wood
Neil Young

So, there are seven holes in my list that could be filled if someone can identify what songs these folks had in the series and where.
If I'm not mistaken, there are three other artists on Shout's list that do not match up to a song (yet):

Jackson BrowneFlyingEdwin Starr

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Doris2k said:
If I'm not mistaken, there are three other artists on Shout's list that do not match up to a song (yet):

Jackson BrowneFlyingEdwin Starr
Yep. You're right. Sorry about that. All of this has started to blur together.

So, the list should be:

Jackson BrowneFlyingBuddy Holly
Evelyn ‘Champagne’ King
Living Voices
Jean-Luc Ponty
The Sherbs
Edwin Starr
Lauren Wood
Neil Young

That's now 10 holes that can be filled if we can match up songs to the artists and figure out where they are located within the series. I'm guessing that these are during some of those dialogue heavy scenes where the song is playing but there is so much talking that you can't hear the song to figure it out.

There were at least three of these same types of songs/scenes that I was able to figure out, but so far the rest I am stumped.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Brian, thanks so much for all your hard work on this issue. I've been looking into some of this music stuff as well and here's what one source says that differs from your Season 1 report:

Pilot (Part 1): also includes "Dance, Dance, Dance" by Chic

Hold-Up: also includes "Light Up The Sky" by Van Halen

Love Returns: includes "Beast Of Burden" by The Rolling Stones

I Do, I Do...For Now: the other Hoyt Axton song is "Jealous Man"

Young Mister Carlson: The "Patton Theme" is performed by Jerry Goldsmith

And now for my nit-pick of the day...on your list in the post above the artist is Evelyn "Champagne" King.

AndrewCrossett

Second Unit
I'm kind of amazed that when they originally shot this series, they actually paid for licensed music that would be too buried in the dialog to even identify. I know song licensing was cheaper and easier back then, and they shot on tape instead of film to make room in the budget... but it seems to me like an unnecessary expense.

Or, maybe they did use generic music and we don't know. Somebody should ask Hugh Wilson.

(Speaking of which, does anyone know if he had any input on this set? I know that he was disappointed but diplomatic with the Fox set.)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Mr. Handley said:
Brian, thanks so much for all your hard work on this issue. I've been looking into some of this music stuff as well and here's what one source says that differs from your Season 1 report:

Pilot (Part 1): also includes "Dance, Dance, Dance" by Chic

Hold-Up: also includes "Light Up The Sky" by Van Halen

Love Returns: includes "Beast Of Burden" by The Rolling Stones

I Do, I Do...For Now: the other Hoyt Axton song is "Jealous Man"

Young Mister Carlson: The "Patton Theme" is performed by Jerry Goldsmith

And now for my nit-pick of the day...on your list in the post above the artist is Evelyn "Champagne" King.
Thanks. Some of those I did in fact find out about after I posted my season 1 list but I couldn't go back and edit it to add them in. I did provide the list as an attachment a few posts back. The corrections should be on that new list as well as some season 2 stuff I found out later.

I have also corrected the misspelling of Miss Champagne King's name. Can't believe I missed that.

Also the source I used said that the Van Halen song in Hold Up is Atomic Punk. I'll check both against the episode to make 100% sure.

I've checked the episode Hold Up again and it is indeed Atomic Punk by Van Halen.

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
Lord Dalek said:
Simple... PAL Standards.

Apparently, in this day and age, PAL/SECAM/NTSC standards mean nothing, IIRC, due to recent technological inventions center around Blu-Ray and DTV/HDTV.

Doris2k

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doris
Regarding the overall quality of the DVDs and the question of whether the episodes would be edited like the initial release, Shout responded this way:"We created our DVDs from the best available sources and have mastered them as true to their original quality as possible. As is the goal with all of our TV on DVD releases, we did not utilize any cut-for-syndication versions in this set. These are not the same versions that are currently being broadcast in syndication or that were used on the previous WKRP DVD set.”

From: http://forums.previously.tv/topic/14812-the-mixing-board-wkrp-on-dvd/

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
Doris2k said:
Regarding the overall quality of the DVDs and the question of whether the episodes would be edited like the initial release, Shout responded this way:"We created our DVDs from the best available sources and have mastered them as true to their original quality as possible. As is the goal with all of our TV on DVD releases, we did not utilize any cut-for-syndication versions in this set. These are not the same versions that are currently being broadcast in syndication or that were used on the previous WKRP DVD set.”From: http://forums.previously.tv/topic/14812-the-mixing-board-wkrp-on-dvd/
Curious if this means we'll get a broadcast length 'Hoodlum Rock'. I believe the Fox discs had the syndie version.

lj01

Agent
Real Name
Lyle
Just curious - my pre-order email from Shout! gave an advance order estimated "street date" of 10-03-14. I'm assuming it's a typo and they really meant "10-09-14" but just curious if anyone else who pre-ordered got the same msg.

Of course i would be pretty stoked to get it today and will let y'all know if I see it later but I'm assuming next week.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Matt.Koz said:
Curious if this means we'll get a broadcast length 'Hoodlum Rock'. I believe the Fox discs had the syndie version.
Yes, the Fox set used the syndicated version of Hoodlum Rock and A Date With Jennifer. I read somewhere (I don't remember where) that the original master tape for Hoodlum Rock was damaged years ago and the only full length version available is at the Museum of Television and Radio. Now this could all be just a big rumor. I certainly hope that it is. This will be one of the very first things that I will check out when I get my set and I will let everyone here know what I find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks