1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

WKRP...Complete Series Coming Soon! (See Post #109)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Frank Soyke, Jan 12, 2014.

1. lj01

lj01 Agent

Lyle
    That's exciting to hear - it would be nice if they could just do a Q&A - I know we'll all know soon enough (3 weeks?) and there's nothing at this point that would cause me personally to cancel my pre-order but it would be cool to just get answers to some of those questions for now.

2. Rob P S

Rob P S Cinematographer

rob
    No George Gershwin on the list. There goes the entire sequence in "Baby It's Cold Inside" of tipsy Mama Carlson forcing Johnny to play Gershwin and then singing "Someone to Watch Over Me" to the staff. But it's nice they got as much as they did and the Queen joke (Another One Bites the Dust - "and not a minute too soon") apparently survived.

3. AndrewCrossett

AndrewCrossett Second Unit

Sigh...It's terrible that such a great show got dealt such a bad hand in terms of evolving copyright law and technology. (Or non-evolving, rather.)

4. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer

Ray
    Not sure if it would be as that is not an artist recording.

5. Hasslein

Hasslein Second Unit

Jim
    Johnny tells Carlson that it is pink floyd, and Carlson inquires about another cut on the album, Pigs on the wing, so I don't see how they can keep the scene, even with music replaced...

6. Spottedfeather

Spottedfeather Stunt Coordinator

Matt
    They could do the scene just with generic dog sound effects. They wouldn't have to pay just for mentioning the Pink Floyd name, would they ?

7. Matt.Koz

Matt.Koz Stunt Coordinator

Matt Kozlowski
    Another pending charge from Shout. How often are they going check for funds? I get once a month but it's only been a few days since the last pending charge was removed! Ugh! Glad i didn't use a debit card.

8. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    No, just mentioning Pink Floyd would not require payment.

9. JoeDoakes

Ray
    I think that's right.

10. AndrewCrossett

The Gershwin song will be a problem. The Gershwin estate are pitbulls when it comes to copyrights. They were co-lobbyists for the Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998 (aka, The Work of Satan.)

I give Shout lots of points for trying very hard. Certainly much harder than Fox did. But it seems like the 10-15% of missing music carries with it some very important scenes.

MatthewA and cafink like this.
  11. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    Here is the list for season 3.

Season 3

The Airplane Show:

Devo: Whip It
    Stevie Wonder: Master Blaster (Jammin’)
    The Who: Had Enough
    Deep Purple: Space Truckin’
    Debbie Boone: You Light Up My Life (heard very, very briefly as we hear each Cincinnati radio stations call letters)
    The Cars: Gimmie Some Slack
    The Cincinnati Pops: The Washington Post (heard just before the ending credits. Just about any version of Sousa’s Washington Post March could be used here.)

Jennifer Moves:

Bailey sings a very brief snipit of a song at the very beginning of this episode. This is another wait and see moment. Other than this brief moment, there is no other music in this episode.

Real Families:

Steely Dan: Peg
    Ron Nagle: 61 Clay
    Steely Dan: Deacon Blues
    ACDC: You Shook Me All Night Long
    Gary Myrick & The Figures: She Talks In Stereo
    The Rolling Stones: She’s So Cold
    Talking Heads: Once In A Lifetime

In the original version of this episode, the announcer of the Real Families show was Johnny Olson. This was changed in syndication. We’ll have to wait and see which announcer we’ll get. It should be the Olson.

The Baby:

The Pointer Sisters: Could I Be Dreaming

There are two other musical moments in this episode. At the very beginning Venus is playing a mellow, jazy type song. I don’t know what it is. Also, Johnny sings Peggy Sue while in the hospital. The Peggy Sue part was changed in syndication to Eater Parade. We’ll have to wait and see which version we get.

Outside of these there is no other music in this episode.

Hotel Oceanview:

Herb Alpert: Rise
    Christopher Cross: Sailing

Toccata from Bach's Toccata and Fugue in d minor is also used in this episode. It should be there.

Herb sings the first two lines of the theme to Love, American Style. Another wait and see moment.

A Mile In My Shoes:

The Rolling Stones: Get Off Of My Cloud
    Queen: Another One Bites The Dust

Bah, Humbug:

Perry Como: Wanted

There is also a vocal version of Sleigh Ride heard over the ending credits. We’ll have to wait and see if it is on there or not.

Baby, It’s Cold Inside:

Pete Townsend: Rough Boys
    Bruce Springsteen: Hungry Heart
    Gene Chandler: Duke Of Earl
    Ray Charles: To Tell The Truth

Mrs. Carlson also sings Someone To Watch Over Me. Another wait and see moment. There is also a song that is played over the speakers in the bullpen just before Johnny plays Gershwin. It’s really hard to tell what the song is. I tried to figure it out and I had no luck.

The Painting:

George Benson: Breezin’

Daydreams:

The song As Time Goes Buy is playing during Les's daydream. It is a vocal version but I don't know by whom.

A piano version of Stardust is playing during Jennifer's daydream.

During Andy's daydream, what sounds like Love Theme From The Godfather is playing,

Frog Story:

The Kinks: You Really Got Me
    Randy Newman: Gone Dead Train

Venus And The Man:

Candi Staton: Looking For Love
    Della Reese: Being Green

Dr. Fever And Mr. Tide

Wilson Pickett: Land Of 1000 Dances
    Olivia Newton John: Xanadu
    The Rolling Stones: Sympathy For The Devil
    Chic: Le Freak
    Alicia Bridges: I Love The Nightlife (Disco Round)
    The Police: De Do Do Do De Da Da Da
    Carl Perkins: Blue Swede Shoes
    The Stone City Band: Strut Your Stuff
    Little Richard: Ready Teddy

Ask Jennifer:

No licensed music used for this episode.

I Am Woman:

Ray Charles: What’d I Say
    Sir Douglas Quintet: Who’ll Be The Next In Line

The song being played on the piano in the bar scene is Lady Be Good by Gershwin. Don’t know if this one will make it so we’ll have to wait and see. Venus is playing a song that I can’t identify when he’s making a plea over the radio to save the building. Another wait and see moment.

Secrets Of Dayton Heights:

Booker T. & The M.G.’s: Green Onions

I am unable to identify the song Venus is playing in the tag scene. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see on that one as well.

Out To Lunch:

Bee Gees: Jive Talkin’
    Paul McCartney: Every Night (Ok, this one is a puzzler. The track appears on the album McCartney so it technically is a Paul McCartney solo song. However, it also appears on the 2001 CD set Wingspan: Hits & History which seems to cover all or most of McCarthney’s post Beatles career including Wings. So, since Paul McCatney & Wings is on the list, Shout may have thought the song is a Wings song and it will be included. I’m going to guess that it will be there and count it as such.)
    Delbert McClinton: Giving It All Up For Love
    The Beatles: Here Comes The Sun

There is a song in the tag scene that I am unable to identify. There’s just too much dialogue to clearly make it out.

A Simple Little Wedding:

Eric Clapton: I Can’t Stand It
    Gene Dunlap featuring The Rideways: Rock Radio
    Otis Redding: I Can’t Turn You Loose

Nothing To Fear But…:

Ottis Redding: Rock Me Baby, Love Man
    Bob James: Winchester Lady
    Bill Withers & Grover Washington, Jr.: Just The Two Of Us
    Les also sings The Great Pretender in this episode. It’s another wait and see moment.

Till Debt Do Us Part:

The Monotones: Book Of Love
    Dave Mason: We Just Disagree

Clean Up Radio Everywhere:

No licensed is used in this episode, however the lyrics to Imagine by John Lennon are recited by Dr. Bob Haylers and a line is repeated by Mr. Carlson. Hopefully this will be on the set as it is a pretty important scene and it makes a very important point.

Off to start work on the 4th and final season.

12. Hasslein

Hasslein Second Unit

Jim
    I know with the Wonder Years set, Time-Life were reluctant to reveal what they couldn't clear for fear of the public retaliating against the artist, but I wish Shout had put some time between clearance and release date. I think public pressure may have swayed some artists, who may not even be aware their song was a part of the show, to push license holders to give the go ahead...I posted a plea on Roger Waters facebook page for the Pink Floyd song, but it was buried in a bunch of political posts, never to be seen...

13. Hasslein

Hasslein Second Unit

Jim
    But the question is, when Carlson asks the name of the "orchestra" and Johnny says Pink Floyd, when it isn't (if replaced) .. then picks up the LP... Can they do that? I don't know.... Has that ever been done before on a home video release? Claiming a song was by an artist, when in fact it wasn't?

I guess in reality, the shout set is going to be a pick & choose on the episodes... No matter what they do, I'll never watch an edited version of Turkey's Away... Have to stick with my recording for that one.

14. AndrewCrossett

Another (annoying) thing to remember is that if a band records a cover by another artist (or a songwriter who wasn't a member of the band), you would have to clear rights for both the song itself *and* that specific recording.

I doubt there would be a problem with playing a different song than the one called out in the dialogue. Didn't they do that a few times in the syndication cuts of WKRP... having a DJ announce one song and then play a replacement? The only way I could see it being a problem is if the replacement song was so bad as to constitute slander.

15. JoeDoakes

Ray
    I think that David Byrne has been pretty adamant about not licensing music. I doubt if we'll see Once in a Lifetime.

16. Albert71292

Albert71292 Stunt Coordinator

Albert Sims
    Shout was able to retain the "Once in a Lifetime" music video in the Gerry Todd "Midnight Video Special" skit on the SCTV set.

17. derosa

derosa Supporting Actor

Grant
    The fact that fans (i'm sure others are doing the same) are able to go through their own personal
    sets of complete and uncut episodes to discover what has been cut from sets to be sold to the public is
    more than a little absurd. Unfortunately the irony is completely lost due to copyright issues, and we're
    left frustrated with what could have been.

My rough counts on missing songs is way over the 10-15% estimate. Will be waiting for the definitive
    tally, and what gets cut before I consider purchasing (make that re-purchasing... i've already paid for season 1)

18. Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson Second Unit

Jeff Robertson
    Thank you so much for posting this. I finally found out who is responsible for one of those tunes stuck in my head that got there in my childhood....Bob James! I always knew if I heard the original music from WKRP I would get my answer some day. You did it for me and I didn't have to watch the shows. Don't get me wrong, I think this box set is in my future.

Now off to buy some music.... :)

19. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    Here is the list for the 4th and final season.

Season 4

An Explosive Affair, part 1:

Greg Kihn Band: Can’t Stop Hurting Myself
    Arthur Conley: Sweet Soul Music
    The Tubes: Talk To Ya Later
    Bob Marley & The Wailers: Could You Be Loved
    Foreigner: Urgent

An Explosive Affair, part 2:

Kool & The Gang: Celebration
    The Pointer Sisters: Slow Hand
    Carl Carlton: She’s A Bad Mamma Jamma

Johnny signs a brief parody of Day-O (The Banana Boat Song). Another wait and see moment.

The Union:

Pat Benatar: Promises In The Dark
    The Rolling Stones: Start Me Up

Johnny, Bailey and Venus all sing Look For The Union Label. More wait and see.

In the scene between Carlson and his mother there is a piece of music playing. It’s instrumental. It sounds like just a bit of easy listening fluff or some generic Muzak stuff. Considering Mama Carlson’s love of Gershwin, I guess it could be some Gershwin. Either way I guess we wait and see if it gets changed.

Jennifer is serenaded by a Mariachi Band. Should be there but again, we’ll have to wait and see.

Finally, there is more instrumental music (it sounds like the same piece) in the scene between Andy and Mama Carlson.

Rumors:

The Go-Gos: Our Lips Are Sealed

There’s a song right at the beginning of this episode that is by the Ian Thomas Band, but for the life of me I couldn’t identify it. I tried my very best and unless you really know music from the Ian Thomas Band, there isn’t many places to look to try and figure it out.

There are four other instances where there is music, but there is so much dialogue over the songs, and they are at a very low volume that I just couldn’t make them out.

Straight From The Heart:

There is a song at the beginning of this episode just after Les’s news report but it isn’t introduced by Venus and I am unable to tell what it is due to the dialogue.

The second bit of music happens during a conversation between Bailey, Venus, and Johnny. Again, the dialogue covers up most of the song so I was unable to figure out what it was.

Who’s On First:

Albert King: Born Under A Bad Sign

Three Days Of The Condo:

Jerry Lee Lewis: Rockin’ My Life Away

The Theme from Gone With The Wind is also used during the establishing shot of Johnny’s condo.

Venus also sings a bit of song, it sounds like an old standard but I don’t recognize it. Thus, we’ll just have to wait and see if this gets cut or changed.

Jennifer And The Will:

Marvin Gaye: I Heard It Through The Grapevine

The violin music at the very beginning of this episode I don’t recognize so we’ll have to wait and see about that.

I also don’t recognize the song Venus is playing while he and Johnny and Bailey are talking in the booth.

The Consultant:

James Brown: Papa Got A Brand New Bag

Bailey also sings the Nestle Chocolate jingle. I hope that this is on the set. It’s a really funny moment.

Love, Exciting And New:

No licensed music is used in this episode.

You Can’t Go Out Of Town Again:

The Rolling Stones: (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction

The beginning of this episode has two songs that Venus plays but I don’t recognize them. Nor do I recognize the song Venus has playing during the second act.

There is a song playing on the juke box during the bar scene between Arthur and Carmen. I don’t recognize the song.

Pills:

Ray Charles: What’d I Say
    Barry Manilow: The Old Songs
    The Police: Spirits In The Material World
    Teddy Pendergrass: Keep On Lovin’ Me

There is one more song in this episode, it can be heard just after Herb makes his speech on the air. I can’t identify it, but you can hear the lyrics ‘listen to me children. Talk to me children.’ That’s all I can make out but I can’t place it. The only other clue is that this is played during Venus’s show. Knowing Venus’s mellow tastes, someone might be able to identify this.

Changes:

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers: Magnolia
    Tom Scott with Dr. John: So White And So Funky
    Bob Marley & The Wailers: Real Situation
    Peabo Bryson: Love Is On The Rise

Jennifer And Johnny’s Charity:

The Beatles: Come Together
    Quarterflash: Harden My Heart

We also get the return of Jennifer’s Doorbell (Fly Me To The Moon) in this episode.

I’ll Take Romance:

B.B. King: I Know The Price

Jennifer hums a tune while her and Les practice dancing. Also there is a band playing during the banquet.

There is a song playing during the scene between Jennifer and Herb the day after the banquet (they are in the hall outside the booth). I can’t make it out. It sounds like the Talking Heads but I’m not sure.

Circumstantial Evidence:

Kool & The Gang: Take My Heart
    Tom Scott: We Belong Together

There is a song playing in the scene right after the opening credits. I am unable to identify it due to the dialogue between Venus and Johnny.

There is also a Muzak version of High Hopes playing in the elevator.

Fire:

Luther Vandross: Never Too Much

Johnny sings Over The Rainbow in this episode. Looks like another wait and see moment.

Dear Liar:

Wilson Pickett: Mustang Sally

The Creation Of Venus:

Ernie Watts: Chariots Of Fire
    Ted Nugent: Queen Of The Forest
    The Who: Goodbye Sister Disco
    A Taste Of Honey: Boogie, Oogie, Oogie (Since this song was on the Fox DVD season 1 set, I really don’t see any reason why it would be missing here. I am going to count this as being on the set. If I’m wrong, fine but the evidence is pretty much in my favor.)

The Impossible Dream:

Stanley Turrentine: Closer

Venus plays another song right after Closer, but I don’t recognize it.

Once again, Jennifer’s Doorbell (Fly Me To The Moon) is heard (Several times).

To Err Is Human:

Huey Lewis & The News: Do You Believe In Love
    Junior Walker & The All Stars: Shotgun

Up And Down The Dial:

Jerry Lee Lewis: Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On

Johnny is playing a song just before Whole Lotta Shakin’ that I can’t identify due to the dialogue.

In the second act, Venus (a little bit drunk) is playing a song that I can’t identify.

Well, there you have it. I did my very best to identify each and every song, or instance where there is music, someone sings or recites lyrics to songs. It turns out that there is a lot more stuff that needs clearing than even I originally thought. I did manage to identify a few more songs that neither one of my sources were able to pick out. It wasn't easy. At times the sound quality on the episodes I was viewing left a bit to be desired, but with some persistence I did prevail. I even surprised myself that I managed to figure out the Teddy Pendergrass song.

Before I close this post, I hope that everyone will keep in mind that just because an artist is on Shout's list, doesn't mean that every song by that artist that was used in the show was cleared. I made a lot of assumptions and guesses that may be wrong so, please do not take this list as 100% gospel truth. We won't know anything for sure until the set has been picked apart piece by piece. And it will. Shout also said that the list they provided was only some of the artists who's music would appear on the set. So, there may be more than what these lists reflect. Also, there are artists on Shout's list that I was unable to match up with a song. If songs for those artists are later identified, that will fill in more of my lists.

Anyway, step one is done. We have what I hope is a fairly accurate guide to go by when viewing the new set.

20. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    For anyone who would like to have a copy of this list, I am providing it here as an attachment. Through the use of an alternative source I was able to go back and fill in some information to the missing season 1 episodes as well as some songs and music that I missed in my initial posting. I missed the window to edit my season 1 list. I also corrected some spelling errors for both season 1 and 2 that I was unable to correct in my original posts.

View attachment WKRP Song List.docx