What's new

With the Season Winding Down..Hits/Misses.. Casualties (be mindful of spoilers) (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
With most series in Finales for the next couple of Weeks and summer programming starting what was this seasons biggest surprises, disapointments, and overall shows you'll continue with Next year (That's if they are lucky enough to get renewed (Damn You Jay Leno)

For Me:

Chuck: Continued its greatness from Season 1, better Stories, fun and Guest Stars. Chuck Deserves a Third Season but may not get it see my damning above.

Life on Mars: This quirky little show started off as the darling of ABC and was then quickly moved and put on Haitus, never to find an audience. It was a well written , emotional series, that deserved better. At Least it wrapped up with an ending alot did not like, but the producers said was always intended. Remember thou folks sometimes its not the ending but the quality of the journey getting there, something cut short by the network.

Smallville: After a so-so 7th Season, this season was good enough to get a renewal, the stories at least toward midway were fantastic, definately a
rejuvenation, the ending of the season not so much.. but maybe once they found out they were renewed.... anyhow a bit more DC Universe than previous seasons.. lets wrap it up nicely in the 9th Huh team....

Lie To Me: Turns out to be a nice little show. A Twist on the typical Proceedural, Tim Roth is pretty dynamic in this role, and while some of the observations stemming from facial expressions are a leap, it's still a nice quirky show... Hope it returns.

The Sarah Conner Chronicles: Oh boy where to start. Great beginning, sometime awful middle, an great end run. But still better than most shows and intriguing enough that I would tune in again. Not announced as Dead but pretty much is.

Dollhouse: This was an Odd show for me, it was alot like My Own Worst Enemy, but with a more sci fi bent. But oddly most of the characters and stories I felt detached from, I watched but it never really hooked me. The series had some decent acting from Olivia Willliams and Tamoh Pinkett, and some god awful acting from Eliza, who was unfortunately the lead. Most likely gone and I won't reallly miss it

My Own Worst Enemy: An interesting show with some good acting from Christian Slater, but the split in the personalties did'nt really make a whole lot of sense. Still it was good enough to at least give it more episodes to play out.

The Big Bang Theory: No second year slump here. The best modern comedy on televisions continued to be hilarious and score big ratings..good enough for an unheard of two year renewal, I'll think about the guys in alaska..and all those pulled comics piling up in stewert's comic shop.

Prison Break: Well it was better than the Sona Year and in retrospect was probably better than 24 this year.. Can't wait to see it play out.. ending hopefully in a grand slo mo death for T-bag, what a great scumbag Robert Kepper's character was over the 4 year run.

24: Oh boy... what started off as the best season in years quickly deteriorated into a mess. It's obvious that the writers don't plan these things out as they always start off great... lag a bit in the middle.. have some really crazy crap happen( Tony), and then usually end with a wimper.. I Hope it wraps up well.. but dare I say... maybe jack should go spend some time with his grandkids... c'mon you earned it.

Breaking Bad: Wow could they follow up the terrific 1st season. Oh yeah in spades.. one of the best shows on TV.

Kings: What the hell was that... that crazy C_ckS__ker.. Ian Mcshane could read the back of a cereal box.. or be cooking breakfast all the time (there was alot of Breakfast scenes) but otherwise yanked so fast it would make Goliaths head spin...

Southland: This Police Proceedural seemed to pat to me, after The Shield, Homicide, NYPD Blue, and Life I was strangely unimpressed.

Life: A fantastic Quirky Police Proceedural-Mystery show with great performances, stories and music.. a # 1 Casualty of Leno and one I'll never Forgive him for.

Reaper: Great second season for the odd little Gem, funnier, hipper than the first and less reliance on the soul of the week storyline for more emphesis on the characters. Most likely not getting renewed by the CW as they even axe their sunday night shows.. can a more deserving network pick this up... would seem at home on Sci/Fi or Syfy, whatever.

Battlestar Galactica: Well it's over. It ended fairly well, thou I never cared for the final five storyline, still it was a decent series overall and a good reboot.

Caprica: I expected to not like it, but ended up intrigued by it, and while its too soon to tell whether it will make a good series I'll be watching.

Castle: Another series I expected not to like and maybe it's being carried by Nathan Fillion, but I like this quirky little series, the plots are sometimes obvious, but it's fun...

I think that's about it, maybe I missed a show or two that I watch, and I didnt include the summer shows In Plain Sight and Rescue Me sense they are more or less just beginning...

Let's hear your thoughts and comments...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If you decide to post your thoughts, please spoilerize details regarding finales and other major plotpoints because you might spoil shows for readers who aren't caught up yet, and it's impossible to know how far along each person is on their viewing when coming into this thread when others post a laundry list of shows they watch.

If you want to discuss a particular show's season endings/loose subplots/etc, please post in the dedicated thread for each show/season where aired shows are fair game for discussion without the need for spoiler text.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

True Sorry bout that, how about some generalized opinions without spoiling...

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Just some thoughts that do not include spoilers.

Really enoying In Plain Sight again. Eagerly awaiting some of the summer series. Bring on Eureka!

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
An interesting listing Dave, and I share your sentiments with most of the shows cited that I watch. I will admit that a couple of them never drew me in but some (like Chuck) will be must-sees in their video season sets reincarnation.

The only two excellent (to me) shows that really jump out at me by their omission from your list are Lost and Fringe. However, I assume that you were just listing shows that you watch and not everything on the tube. And I agree that Breaking Bad is a gem.

Obviously, not all shows can be covered here (unless one watches TV 27 hours a day - even with multiple DVRs). There are other shows out there (like the quirky Head Case and Party Down on the Starz Network) that are quite interesting.

I'm sure there are many others that I'm overlooking. But a very nice thread.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well I did miss some stuff, I forgot to Include another great show Sons of Anarchy thats a keeper and Californication and of Course Dexter on Showtime as well as The United States of Tara and True Blood. All very watchable shows, from the various Cable Networks.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Dexter is the best show on Television right now
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
JMHO, but I stand by that.

I enjoyed United States of Tara. True Blood is a show that started out really badly, kind of improved.. but eh, I don't know. It will be interesting to see where it goes though.

Californication is silly, ridiculous stuff, but I enjoy it, kind of like the story of what happens -after- Entourage.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Big Love is currently HBO's best drama, and had a good season; and we get a return of Weeds this summer also ;)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
That's the problem with a thread like this one (especially to a TV addict like myself); so many interesting shows that we are bound to short change a couple.

How could I have left out Dexter (one of my faves), Californication, Weeds, Big Love (any show with both Harry Dean Stanton and Bruce Dern is a must in my book) and The United States of Tara?!? If Toni Collette doesn't get at least an Emmy nomination for her portrayal of Tara that's just wrong!

Then there's Mad Men.

See, we're bound to miss more than a few. Even with all the garbage on the tube (showing my age with that reference) this is still a great time for the medium. (See, another show I watch that I left out!)

:laugh: :laugh:

Sigh....

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I will add one to my garbage bin: Grey's. Grey's had a great last five minutes of the double header last night. We knew it was coming through the whole season, and it was great cinematography, a great look and stunning in HD.

BUT, it absolutely sucked any interest in the show I have left. I will put in spoilers since it isn't that thread but..

Rarely has a character been so poorly written/managed as George in Grey's. Early in the first few seasons, George was the "everyman" character that the audience could easily relate to. A hard worker who managed to get there through book smarts. They screw him in the 4th season by having him fail his test - which was a ridiculous setup - a wedding that went know where, and then they decided they couldn't write his character at all and basically wrote him out of the storyline. I had thought that when they announced he had enlisted, they would write him off by having him leave to "go do something brave" which would have been OK and allowed for a different George to come back later. But nope, then they hit him with a bus - literally. Grey's kind of jumped the shark in Season 4, but now there are no characters left that I give a crap about. Only the annoying survive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks