What's new

Will you be watching the Oscars? (1 Viewer)

Will you be watching the Oscars?

• Total voters

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
A bit amazed at the overly negative reactions and the amount of folks skipping it.

I thought some posters said this place was all about the cinema so I figured the votes would be opposite than they are.

I am a fan of the NFL and NHL, too, but that doesn't mean I watch their god-awful All-Star games.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I haven't watched in a long time. The Oscar selections are not relevant to me. They watch what they want and I'll watch what I want. It's all good.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I love films (my main hobby), but I don’t love the Oscars, the selection choices, the politics of the filmmakers, or the whole self-congratulatory vibe about the show. I won’t watch.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
No interest whatsoever. The "event" has become a crashing bore, less and less about movies that people actually want to see, and more about "other things".

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
What ever happened to those annual live-telecasts from Oslo?:rolleyes:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ill be watching. Always watch every year.

Plus I miss the days when HTF held a live chat window for the show.

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
In its entirety? Surely you jest. In the past my wife and I have watched the opening monologue. I then go to my home office and do computer stuff while keeping a browser window open to IMDB to see what won various awards. That way I know the winners but don't need to listen to the winner's speeches which are either boring or politically charged for the most part.

It's like the MLB all-star game. I used to watch every detail without fail, now I'm too old to waste my time.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I used to look forward to the Oscars every year, but as they choose films that interest me less and less, and they become more about awarding people rather than the year's actual best performances or accomplishments, I've lost interest over the years. I generally have it on in the background, but while I'm doing other things. I don't sit and actually WATCH as I used to.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Nope. Haven’t since I was a kid, really. Except for a couple of years when I ran our office pool. The show is too long, too boring and I haven’t found any movies I’m really all that invested in in years. Plus, nowadays any exciting moment or great speech will be all over the internet immediately, so it’s not like I’ll miss anything.

I used to watch the opening when Billy Crystal or Whoopi Goldberg hosted.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The poll needs a maybe. We normally watch it, but I’m unsure if I’m going to bother this year. If they really aren’t going to award the cinematography Oscar live like the acting awards, I probably won’t watch.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
The poll needs a maybe. We normally watch it, but I’m unsure if I’m going to bother this year. If they really aren’t going to award the cinematography Oscar live like the acting awards, I probably won’t watch.

'Maybe poll' not needed. It is one of those award shows that nobody cares if you watch it or not. It's a personal choice.I have better things to do rather than waste time watching the Oscars .Whoever wins an award is no guarantee that they deserved it. In the past there have been too many sympathy votes and many voters who never actually saw the film that they voted for. It's all so phoney. The millions of dollars wasted on advertising would be better off being spent on feeding the hungry. It's all Hollywood glamour whilst the hungry go without.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I went to the Oscars once back in the early 90's. I was given a VIP tour, as a on duty LAFD Fire Inspector, of the whole shebang the afternoon of the awards at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion. Quite an experience and something I will always remember. I only watched that show and have never seen it since then.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks