What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Will We Ever See 1776 on Blu-ray? (See Post #286 for the latest info from Sony) (1 Viewer)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I'll be there of course. Since there is no Blu planned, I'd recommend anyone who loves the film and can make it to Santa Monica come see this, it's really stunning.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
There's a thread to "shame" MGM into saving The Alamo.
Maybe the same could be done with Sony. The DCP is done. So it's just a question of marketing and distributing the product.
Ishtar was released by Sony; why not a much better film such as 1776? It's a lesson in the birth of our country, in civics, in patriotism, in public debate over sensitive issues; and it's presented in a very entertaining fashion. So if Sony doesn't care to release it, at least license it to another company for distribution. TT would be ideal (isolated score, commentary).
So let's shame Sony into distributing this much requested and beloved film!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
We should point Sony to this thread, if we have not already. Even though I have this in digital form, I really want a legitimate copy of 1776 on blu-ray. And I don't think it should be limited to the Twilight Time sales model. Please, Sony, release 1776!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Steve,
I agree with you that Sony, who released Ishtar (how many units sold, I wonder), should release 1776. However, Ron posted above that Sony have no plans to release it (yet), and Moe has basically told us to go to Santa Monica for the screening or else, since there are no plans to release the 4K restoration in BD, as boneheaded as that sounds. That's why I suggested TT if not Sony. But in truth, this should be another jewel in Sony's crown. So yes, please release 1776 as soon as possible!

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Surely being paid upfront by Twilight Time for one of their Limited Edition releases wouldn't be that complicated. Sony won't take a loss as they're paid upfront and those who love this cut can get it on blu and those who "refuse" to buy this cut and can continue to choose be unhappy and get nothing. Everybody wins. :P ;)

Bill Coolidge

Stunt Coordinator
So, since a Blu-ray is not coming out anytime soon, and I can't make to Santa Monica next week I was planning on spinning the ol' DVD. But then I saw that there is an HD version on itunes/Apple TV. Would it be worth it to spring the 13 bucks for that? Does anybody know if the HD streaming version is presented in any better picture quality than the DVD? I don't mind paying 13 bucks, especially for one of my favorite movies. I am just wondering if the picture quality will actually be higher than the DVD on my Panasonic Blu-Ray and GT50 tv.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sigh.

I'll be heading to my DVD shelf tonight and pulling out my DVD copy of 1776 for it's regular annual viewing.

I wish I was there, too, Allen. Or that I had, at least, an HD copy to watch this weekend. ;)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Mike Frezon said:
Sigh.

I'll be heading to my DVD shelf tonight and pulling out my DVD copy of 1776 for it's regular annual viewing.

I wish I was there, too, Allen. Or that I had, at least, an HD copy to watch this weekend. ;)
Get the HD version on Vudu (do it via Disc to Digital and it's only 5 bucks) or iTunes.

classictvfan91

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Hayden
Michael Schlesinger (who used to work at Sony) was on Stu's Show about two weeks ago, and Stu Shostak (the host of the show) asked him for me about 1776 on Blu-Ray. He said it was possible to sub-license it to a company that has been releasing some of Sony's movies.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Happy 4th. Looking forward to reports from those who attended last night's screening.

Any word if this new restoration will be used for theatrical bookings (Cinemark Classic Series for example). Still bummed that BD doesn't seem to be forthcoming.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrharris
Recent bookmarks