What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Will we ever get Extended versions of Far and Away or Waterworld? (1 Viewer)

Haden

Supporting Actor
I'm a fan of both films and I hate the fact that both have well known extended versions that have appeared on television but have yet to be released on DVD. Is there any solid news about the possibility of Costner or Ron Howard releasing their extended cuts on DVD?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I don't think Costner is particularly keen on reviving memories of Waterworld. He's directing his third western - maybe after that is released, we'll see another go-round with Waterworld. I'm gonna get pounded for this, but I'd like to see an uncut release of The Postman.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Waterworld got panned more than it deserved, and all because of the whole budget fiasco. I've always found it to be an entertaining film, and the extended cut makes it much better. I have a crappy VHS copy of the extended cut from when it aired on cable, but I want a good quality version on DVD. Same goes for the longer cut of Far and Away.

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
Yeah, I would love an extended Waterworld. The longer version is really pretty damn good ... makes a great companion piece to Road Warrior, which is how it was originally envisioned.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I heard one of the deleted scenes in Waterworld explains how the bad guys had or created all of the cigarettes. Can anyone tell me how they did it?

Also, I enjoyed the scene of the Mariner showing the girl a submerged city with the Sub in the downtown street.

I liked the final scene from the one deleted scene I did see:
That the island they were on was the top of Mt.Everest.

ps-Does anyone know how much land we would lose if all of the ice caps melted?

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
As far as I know, the theatrical version of Waterworld is Costner's cut. The extended TV version included many of Kevin Reynolds's scenes that were excised. Whether or not it is a true director's cut, I don't know. I would like to see Reynolds's original cut, though. Costner & Reynolds recently sat down together to do a commentary on the extended version of Robin Hood, (which I believe was Reynolds's preferred cut), so I guess they may have patched things up, at least a little bit.

Is the extended version of Far & Away Howard's preferred cut? Even if it isn't, it would be cool to see a new DVD with the footage included in the special features.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
A great fun film that's very undeservedly disliked. Hopefully we can get a SE of it sometime, with both the theatrical and extended editions and a Costner commentary.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I would think that the reception of Waterworld would make an extended version easier rather than harder. Unless they want to do a full-blown special edition with the crew, who would be reticent to participate, that is. However, if Costner and crew have washed their hands of it, then they wouldn't stand in the way.

Also, precedent proves that both Costner and Reynolds have no qualms against longer version of their movies, so that would be a plus.

Far and Away on the other hand lies solely in Howard's hand who may prefer the theatrical cut for all I know. I've never heard his feelings regarding that film, and just assumed he was happy with it and its reception.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Here are some clues to the answer too the question;
We got a "VIP" edition of Showgirls!
Windtalkers got two DVD releases.
We are getting a SE of Red Heat.
Reefer Madness got an 'upgrade'.
Glitter, was released on DVD.
Should I continue?
There are 100,000+ DVD's, and I am SURE they would LOVE too release another 100,000 titles in the next five years.
Meaning; Yeah!

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I like the extended version of Far and Away.
I would just like a remastered version of this dvd. It has a mastering error and because of this, I have kept my laserdisc.
ON the dvd, the entire picture has been transferred too fat (it makes all the people look smiling all the time, if you know what I mean). This is unwatchable, so the dvd got returned.

Bruce*A

Grip
I enjoyed Waterworld. It wasn't nearly as awful as some made it out to be. I've never seen the extended edition, but if it explains a few things I'm all for it. Though I must admit that I'd rent before I bought.

As for Far and Away. I never cared for that film. So if there was an extended edition I wouldn't even notice.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I loved The Postman and Waterworld, but haven't purchased them on DVD yet because they are non-SEs (of what I feel deserve SE treatment). They really didn't deserve their critical flack, IMHO.

Allan^L

Stunt Coordinator
Is it true the Far and Away DVD audio isn't properly synched to the picture? I really like this movie but I read this somewhere and it's kept me from buying it.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
Definietly WATERWORLD deserves to have the extended TV cut released to DVD (as long as it is the uncensored language version).

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
I love both of these movies and I would really love to have the extended versions on dvd.
That is my vice, whenever there is a new release of a movie that I like with any deleted scenes I have to go and buy them, goes the same for extended versions, as being a filmmaker (well film student now anyway), I always like seeing what scenes were cut and in some cases, what the director really wanted in his movie (ie, director's cuts)

By the way, I have the extended version of Waterworld on a VHS. Sure it is pan & scan, but as the extended version was only shown on TV, I guess you have to make a sacrafice somewhere. This cut really improves the movie and explains many unanswered questions. I would love to see this cut in widescreen on dvd.

I have never seen the extended Far and Away. What does this cut add to the movie?

On a side note, here are some other extended cuts that I would like seen on dvd

Superman KCOP Cut ( This is the 3 Hour 9 minute cut of the First Superman, I have it on a very washed out and foggy VHS but I still love it.

Superman 2 Full Extended Cut. ( I have This tape. It contains 151 Minute cut of the movie that contains all of the Donner Footage, and all of the Lester Footage)

Superman III Extended TV Version (Here is one I don't have

:frowning: Apparently it contains some more cool scenes.

Superman IV Original Screener Cut 121 Minutes ( I would kill for this cut of the movie as I hear that it was 1000% better than what the public got!)

Hard Target Director's Cut (Here was the cut that John Woo wanted to make It is riddled with more gore and violence and is actually a better movie)

Apocalypse Now 5.5 Hour Cut (Here is one that boggles the mind and exhausts you all at the same time. If you ever wanted to see Coppola in the raw. This is it.)

-Mark

Mark Lx

Second Unit
I realyy like Waterworld. It's a very ambitious film. In my opinion, you can count the great sci fi/future Earth films on two hands, and this one tries hard. I haven't seen the extended version. How much extra is there? I remember hearing on it's initial release that a ton of stuff was cut back. Was it all restored?

johnbr

Stunt Coordinator
I would also love to see the 116 min cut of Hard Target.The first time abc showed the uncut Waterworld they said it was the was the dr cut of the movie.For those that do not no it made money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks