What's new

Will this system fit in a dorm room? (1 Viewer)

ToddMS

Stunt Coordinator
i agree a dorm room is a pretty great little setup for a HT. I am at Notre Dame, and got Snell QBx 20s up front and 15s in the rear, powered by an Onkyo ds575x. An SVS 25-31CS rounds out the setup- I think you will find you will rarely play at full volume- usually much lower than reference levels. I find that the biggest difference is just the sound quality level compared to other systems- also the ability to crank it up once in a while is fun :) In short, I think a setup with norhs and a rava sub would be awesome, and probably appropriate. The only thing you might want to consider is you don't have total control over your room and its surroundings...you never know when your roommate will come in drunk off his a** and knock over something...just a thought...i also agree that HEADPHONES ARE THE MOST IMPORZTANT THING TO BRING...I got a pair of senns and have to use them about 70% of the time i am listening to music...
Todd
[Edited last by ToddMS on November 18, 2001 at 09:08 PM]

I know you already got quite a few good replies, but I figured I would chime in considering I've actually done what you're planning. I have a set of 5 nOrh 4.0s in a small dorm room. This is the fourth year I've been in this room, but for the first three I just had an Energy Take 5 and a Sunfire Truesub, which obviously fit easily. The nOrhs and the SVS 20-39PC were a bit of a challenge. Luckily I have the room as a super-single this year so I don't have to worry about squeezing in a roommate anymore. I did it for three years though, and it's not impossible.
Lofts are an absolute necessity. I have two, one for each bed. I must say, not all dorm rooms are great for home theater, in fact the ones at the U of MN in Morris basically suck. I've managed to make it work, but the acoustics remain pretty bad. I had to get an equalizer for the sub to tame the HUGE 50hz spike, so keep that in mind as a possibility. I also had to work around my computer and the fact that I wanted that to run off the HT system too.
The rear speakers are going to be the biggest hurdle. The best plan is to try to hang them. I actually hung them from the bottom of my loft facing in towards each other and pointed a little bit into the wall. I was hoping this would dissipate the sound a bit, and it worked pretty well.
Figuring out how to hang the nOrhs was the hardest part. I ended up using a combination of eye hooks and rope. If you want details on how I did it and exactly what I bought just let me know.
The end result of all this is pretty crazy looking but sounds amazing for a dorm system, or any system for that matter. My latest addition is my Gamecube, which I actually imported in mid October, it's frickin great. People just don't understand that I AM a poor college kid because I spent all my money on my equipment. :)
The best way to illustrate how you can do this is to show pictures. I've taken some of my setup this year but haven't gotten them back yet, so I'll put up a link when I do.

Ryan Bush

Auditioning
I"m seriously considering an Axiom setup now. M3Ti's up front, VP50 center, and M1Tis' in the back. The nOrhs are just too big for the back. What do you guys think about 4.0s in the front and prism 3.0s in the back? I know 5 identical speakers would be better. The Axioms would be a lot easier to fit into the room, and they are cheaper for close to the same sound. The review at goodsound.com said it doubted someone could tell the M3Ti apart from the 4.0 while bilnd and in the sweet spot.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i've heard only great stuff about the Axiom line; i was once considering them for myself. i think that these would be a great alternative for your 'college years.' i say grab these and wait until you're out of college (and away from drunken fools) before you spend too much $$ on speakers. if you read my earlier post, the Paradigms i plan on owning ($900/pr!!) are gonna be implemented when i am living in a house. this is a MAJOR thing to consider!!
the Axioms will also place better in the small space and will allow for less problemic re-arranging by your roommate (before you kill him :)). dude, i know exactly how you feel (I WANT!), but i still say save the more expensive speakers for later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks