What's new

sub recommendations? - small room, poor student (1 Viewer)

Benny G

Second Unit
I recently started my home theater/audio system. I currently have the Harman Kardon AVR-310 receiver and AR S50 mains.
My next addition will be a subwoofer.
I am a college student on a limited budget who lives in a smallish dorm room.
Budget: looking to spend up to $300 or so
Room size: about 12'x12'
I have a subwoofer for my computer speakers (Altec Lansing ADA-885) which is 60 watts. That thing puts out quite a bit of bass. It can shake the walls pretty good if I turn the volume up. (these speakers are great for the price, btw, $200)
I am looking for recommendations for a subwoofer (and place to buy it) that fits these general qualifications (up to $300 or so, 12'x12' room).
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Being a poor college student myself in a room about 13x11, I was lucky enough to score an old Velodyne sub for $90 by inquirng in the classified sections of the forums. This thing adds so much oomph, it's scary sometimes. Sold 6 years ago for $599, the va-810x has an 8" front firing woof w/ 200w amp and a 10" down firing woof. It's the perfect size and offers to the best performance for the dorm. Hopefully you get lucky. If you're looking to buy new, perhaps your AVR has B speaker outs where you could amp a 12" car sub. If not, you could always pick up an old stereo amp for $50 on ebay, buy a car sub & enclosure, and really shake the hell outta the place. Good Luck...
-Chuck
P.S. a couple months ago, I would have reocmmended the 10" JBL (PB-10) or 12" Klipsch, but that has all changed.
------------------
Chuck
Chuckster's HT Site
Equipment List
The Dorm Room Theater

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The advantage of the Velodynes is the active circuitry. Yamaha subs also employ this technique (and a few others). It works quite well.
Yamaha YST-SW320 is a good deal. Active Servo/200W/20Hz for under $300.
Slam for the buck, I'd say Sony SA-WM40 is your best bet.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Benny G

Second Unit
Thank you both for your quick responses. I have looked at the Sony sub...and I noticed that it is not video shielded. What is the minimum distance a non-video shielded sub should be placed from a tv??? The spot for my sub would be about 2' from my tv...
**Ok, I just saw on a different site that the Sony IS video shielded....
[Edited last by Benny G on September 12, 2001 at 04:42 PM]

Richard Watt

Agent
I've heard nothing but good things from owners of the SVS Subwoofers. I'm looking at them myself, although, I am waiting till I finish my move before purchasing. According to their website the 25-31CS version of their subs is only $369. I know that is higher than your $300 quote, but I wasn't sure how much over you were willing to go. Either way you might want to check them out. This is for the unpowered version of the sub.
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/svpassiv...m#25-31Summary

Benny G

Second Unit
What makes a sub "unpowered"? I'm fairly sure it means you don't plug it directly into an electrical outlet..and it doesn't have a built-in amp...maybe?
How is an unpowered sub connected to a receiver??
Sorry for knowing almost nothing about this...
Btw, I'm realllly trying to keep it under $300.
wink.gif

[Edited last by Benny G on September 12, 2001 at 04:38 PM]

Richard Watt

Agent
That's cool. What I meant by "unpowered" was that it would need an amp. Some people choose to use their own amps such as a receiver or a seperate amp. I refer to "powered" subs as those that have amps built into them.
As far as hooking them up to your receiver. I have never purchased a seperate subwoofer yet, so I am guessing on this.
But you would need to run the Subwoofer out to the sub and then run a channel from your receiver to the sub as well. I think that is how it goes. Of course, if you had a "powered" sub, then you would just run the Subwoofer out from the receiver to the sub. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
[Edited last by Richard Watt on September 12, 2001 at 04:50 PM]

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
the less expensive vels dont use the *active* feedback servo circuitry that I think is being referred too. The yammy's don't really use the same type of *feedback* the servo15 and VELs use. not sure about the triad stuff.
a unpowered or passive sub means you'll have to use a seperate dedicated amp with it. The SVs are designed to have a rather high system sensitivity...so even using a $79 KLH receiver from bestbuy will lead to good performance. Of course this puts you a good $150+ over budget now.
I'd do a web search for the HSU REEARCH VTF-2 and see if you could dig up a $350-$400 sale on one. If not...I have seen the JBL D112s going for

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For $369, that SVS is unpowered, meaning it does not come with an amp. If it will not accept speaker level input, then it is useless to you. By running speaker level (R&L) output from your receiver to the sub, the sub runs off the receiver's amp. Not a great way to go, as your receiver has to work harder during bass intensive material. When the sub has it's own amp (including a dedicated outboard in the case of the CS SVS's), it offloads much of the work of the receiver as bass requires more power to reproduce it's frequencies than mid and upper frequencies (larger drivers, more air to move, etc...).
You cannot determine correct placement of the sub if you do not have it already. So saying 2' from the TV may be incorrect. You will have to move it around in the room to find a good location for it, as it's location will affect the way it sounds quite a bit. I think 2' would be pushing it, but you would have to see. Many subs are not shielded, as they are typically not located right next to TVs.
[Edited last by John Garcia on September 12, 2001 at 04:54 PM]

Peter Jessee

Stunt Coordinator
If you're handy with a screwdriver, head over to the MCM website and check out the 50-6281 250 watt amp ($129), 80-430 enclosure ($90.85) and 55-2330 12" woofer driver ($74.95). With shipping it will probably go a couple of bucks over $300, but it will kick the poo out of most

Mike Kao

Second Unit
Sounds like a nice little project Peter! Anyone else have any testimonies with custom subs & these particular parts? How would this thing compare to the lower end SVS models?

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
hehehe. i was a college student when i got my advent av550s for $250 bux from ubid.
advent av550s - 250 watts rms - 1000 watts peak - 15 inch downfiring - sunfire/carver technology - built in adjustable crossover and gain - i got one hell of a deal.
JKB
------------------
--------------------------------------------------
Somebody has to pay for retail businesses to let us walk in and audition high quality equipment side by side with our own dvd's and movies. I don't mind paying a premium to support this kind of service and convenience, I wish others would consider this when buying discounted b-stock merchandise from shady internet dealers.
JKB

Users who are viewing this thread