What's new

Computer monitor as display (1 Viewer)

Drew Wimmer

Stunt Coordinator
This summer I'm going to be building a system around my computer and am going to be using my monitor in place of a TV (since space limitations in my dorm room will keep me from fitting both a decent sized tv and monitor in the room among my other stuff).

My question is, on a 22" monitor(Samsung 1200NF or Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2060u), will I notice a difference between the image produced by a DVD player built into my system vs. that of a separate player connected to the monitor through my receiver? The monitor will have RGB BNC inputs so it seems to me, that with a transcoder, I could connect it to the component video from a progressive scan DVD player. Thanks in advance.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
You'll be MUCH better off using a PC-based player. You're right, a regular player will work though. With a PC-based DVD drive you'll be able to scale the output to higher resolutions, and run the monitor at a 72hz refresh rate which will eliminate the need for 3:2 pull down (film=24fps, 24*3=72) You'll also be able to easily play PAL discs as well.

It'll be cheaper too.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Drew- You might also consider a Viewsonic VB50:
http://www.viewsonic.com/products/video_vb50hrtv.cfm
That way you can get TV and a gaming system on the monitor as well. The only problem I have had with using a monitor for a DVD display is the blacks are very grey, but other than that it is pretty smooth.
How long do you have left at Tech? I just got out last August.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Commudle
Recent bookmarks