Computer monitor as display

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Drew Wimmer, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Drew Wimmer

Drew Wimmer Stunt Coordinator

This summer I'm going to be building a system around my computer and am going to be using my monitor in place of a TV (since space limitations in my dorm room will keep me from fitting both a decent sized tv and monitor in the room among my other stuff).

My question is, on a 22" monitor(Samsung 1200NF or Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2060u), will I notice a difference between the image produced by a DVD player built into my system vs. that of a separate player connected to the monitor through my receiver? The monitor will have RGB BNC inputs so it seems to me, that with a transcoder, I could connect it to the component video from a progressive scan DVD player. Thanks in advance.

2. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

You'll be MUCH better off using a PC-based player. You're right, a regular player will work though. With a PC-based DVD drive you'll be able to scale the output to higher resolutions, and run the monitor at a 72hz refresh rate which will eliminate the need for 3:2 pull down (film=24fps, 24*3=72) You'll also be able to easily play PAL discs as well.

It'll be cheaper too.

3. Drew Wimmer

Drew Wimmer Stunt Coordinator

excellent, thanks for the info Bill [​IMG]

4. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Drew- You might also consider a Viewsonic VB50:
    http://www.viewsonic.com/products/video_vb50hrtv.cfm
    That way you can get TV and a gaming system on the monitor as well. The only problem I have had with using a monitor for a DVD display is the blacks are very grey, but other than that it is pretty smooth.
    How long do you have left at Tech? I just got out last August.