What's new

Will there be a non-SE Star Wars (Ep. IV) DVD? (1 Viewer)

I thought I remeber reading that a Star Wars (Ep. IV) DVD will *only* be the special edition version. Can anybody confirm this and provide a link to a source. Thanks, I've heard a few people tell me different things.

Rob Robinson

Second Unit
anyone who's telling you anything about Ep 4 is full of Sh*t.
you should quit worrying about it-
it's gonna be a few years before this title gets visited.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Unless Lucas grows tired of our bitching and has a change of heart all future releases will be the SE's.
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

Well...I'm not really "Worrying" about it. I'm just curious if there has been an official announcement about this *future* DVD being only a Special Edition version. I am very well aware that an Ep.IV DVD is several years away at the least. I think I remember hearing something about that from one of the Producers during a chat or an official announcement. I just wanted a confirmation from the source. The reason I'm asking is because I am in the process of getting the original series in it's THX version (VHS, Laser, or both) if a DVD version will not be available.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Well the Episode I DVD was originally going come out when the prequels were finished, but people voiced their opinions thru petitions and got it out sooner. Perhaps if enough people who want the non SEs voice their opinion to Lucas, perhaps he'll listen.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
George, I think Rob mis-understood what you were asking, and thus his rather rude post.
Lucus has been quoted in the past (around the time that the SE's where originally released in the theaters and with the subsequent video releases) as saying that the SE's were the only way to see those movies from that point on. He said at that time that he would not, ever, let the original versions out in public again. I don't have any link, but it was in the regular press all over the place at that time.
Thus the mad dash that was heard of everyone rushing for what was left on video the original versions.
Now then, that was several years ago. Who knows if Lucas will change his mind. It could happen and we may yet see the original films released again on video some day, and maybe in DVD form. No one has made any definitive statement otherwise since then, so the last official word we've heard (from several years ago) is - Only the SE's will be seen.
Joel
[Edited last by Joel Fontenot on October 09, 2001 at 01:10 PM]

Gruson

Second Unit
Buy the LDs! You will easily get your money from them. I do not think we will see them on DVD (original versions).

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Well, I won't be surprised if the DVD releases of Eps. IV, V, and VI aren't even the SE versions. I'm sure George will make even more changes, touch-ups, add-ons to those movies over the next few years in order to accommodate continuity with Eps. I, II, and III. He has a habit of not leaving well enough alone. We'll get Star Wars, Episode IV: A New Hope, Version 3.1.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
does anybody remember back then if Lucas saved the original elements for the Original Star Wars? I am pretty sure that I heard they were destroyed during the making of the SE. Well... at least I still have my THX CLV set of the originals on LD,
biggrin.gif
hey, maybe in a couple of years they will be valuable collectors items
frown.gif

------------------
Robert Lutter

My DVD Collection
Link Removed Software Reviewer (Coming Soon!)

Dave Dugan

Stunt Coordinator
The SE-only policy Lucas announced some years ago is the reason I'm not all that excited to have the original trilogy on DVD...
A few years ago, I was a huge Star Wars fan. Now I'm sure I'll buy whatever dreck he commits to DVD, but I'm far more excited to have the Indiana Jones trilogy on disc...
-Dave

ScottCC

Auditioning
he could do seamless branching versions of the trilogy with the original version and special edition of each film on the same disc and please everyone, but i doubt he would do that. He'd much rather just release the special editions insisting these are the only way to watch starwars in his awkward uncompromising maner, or release both the standard editions and the special editions of the trilogy to make more money. Lucas doesnt want to give us what we want. I dont take part in these silly campaigns either cause i'm sure lucas arts loves the people that gets these things going and builds demand up for there releases. You dont make them do anything you just build up the hype some more for when they do release.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
When Lucas made those statements, there WAS no seamless branching. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but there is now a POSSIBILITY
Now if there was only a third branch: "SE w/o Greedo shooting first"
Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kyle

Auditioning
Seamless brancing would be virtually impossible - the SE versions of the trilogy are not just director's cuts, they are almost completely redone. IIRC, every effects shot was "touched up", more detail put on the spaceships, etc, etc, which would mean that very few shots are exactly the same between the original and the SE. They've had to put them on seperate sides or seperate DVDs or something. Not likely... which is why I invested $30 into the trilogy on LD (you can probably get it cheaper now) and $80 on a decent dual-side LD player. Can't compare to an anamorphic DVD with 5.1 sound, but it's a hell of a lot better than a pan-n-scan VHS!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
They didn't do that kind of work on Star Wars, there are only maybe 20-30 shots that were really changed. What they DID do was recomposite shots in the computer. I don't think even the purest of the pure would object to new composites using the same elements
Jeff Kleist

KrisM

Second Unit
I can't see Lucas using seamless branching. If we ever get the original trilogy it will be a couple of years after the SE's come out. That way everybody that wants the originals will be buying it twice.
KrisM

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
1) Lucas said in interviews around the theatrical release that he saw the SE versions as the only versions of these films. No one ever directly asked, but since the SE's have been available, there have been no releases on any format of anything other than the SE.
2) Lucasfilm is not providing clips from the non-SE versions to any media outlets. All clips from lucasfilm are se. Specifically, in the Biography on A&E for Harrison Ford made a few years ago contained ONLY clips from the SE versions.
I would put the chances of seeing Original trilogies on DVD at about 5%. If everyone bitches, you might see a split release with "classics" so George can cash some additional checks- but I wouldn't hold your breath.
-Vince
------------------
http://www.musicianassist.com
AIM: VinceMaskeeper
Anyone wanna sell me their palm pilot?? Click here

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I really don't mind the SE trilogy, except for:
-Greedo shooting first makes no sense
-Luke's pussy scream in empire
Otherwise, I'd like the original ending to Jedi and other "changed" footage to be available as an extra, if only for archival purposes. If rumors are true though, there's going to be more additions to eps IV-VI in the future...

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Keep in mind that Lucas is the same guy who tried to get money from the consessions sold at theaters during either the release of the se's or episode 1, I can't remember which. He'll do anything for money, including selling split releases of his movie. However, completely disregarding everything I just said, the SE's are the "completed" versions of his vision of the Star Wars Trilogy, and therefore will probably be released only as Special Editions.
Edited to say if you want to see some of my Star Wars toy collection, check out my Home Theater page.
(shameless self-plug)
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed
[Edited last by Brad_W on October 10, 2001 at 11:18 PM]
[Edited last by Brad_W on October 10, 2001 at 11:20 PM]

Jeff Kyle

Auditioning
It's been a while, but I recall seeing on TV some "before and after" shots from the SE - I specifically remember a shot of the X-Wings on their way to the Death Star near the end (as they pass a red planet), showing the original film, then the SE, which had the ships looking slightly more detailed, with more grime and stuff on the wings and fuselage... but I only saw the SEs in the theater, so it's been a while...
Either way, it would be great to have the original release as well as the SEs available on DVD, but I'm certainly doubt it'll happen. I'd sooner expect the Star Wars Christmas Special as an extra!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks