What's new

Will there be a LOTR Boxed Set? (1 Viewer)

Nevin

Agent
I already own the Extended Edition DVD of the first film and am anxiously awaiting TTT EE in November. But it occurred to me...after ROTK comes out next year (I assume they'll be doing an EE of this film as well), will there be a boxed set of all three Extended Editions with even more extras? If anyone has heard anything, any info. would be appreciated. Thanks.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
While it wouldn't surprise me if New Line came out with a boxed set of all three EEs, they've already stated the EEs are the final releases of each film, and that people who buy them now won't be burned by a big boxed set later that has more stuff. So I'm buying the EEs now, and will buy the ROTK EE when it's available. Not going to worry too much about whats after that.

James Lambert

Stunt Coordinator
It does slightly worry me that deleted scenes (other than the ones that were integrated into the extended cut) haven't been included. I'm only assuming that they exist, but if they were to be a special feature of a box set, I only hope that they can also get released on a seperate disk. I have faith in New Line though as I think the strategy so far has been excellent, letting fans know that an super extended cut will appear 3 months after the theatrical (far from bare bones) release.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
Hmm, perhaps a disc of deleted scenes could be included as the extra disc in the Return of the King EE box set?

Or perhaps they actually will release another version of the movie sometime in the future?

Maybe they could get around what they previously said, simply by making a new version of "The Lord of the Rings," as one movie. You see what I mean? The final releases of "fellowship," "two towers," and "king" will be the extended editions. But maybe, a new cut of "The Lord of the Rings" as one movie will one day be made.

Sorry, just chalk this up as fanboy fantasy. :D

Joey B

Stunt Coordinator
As stated above, the EE's are the final releases. It wouldn't surprise me though if a box is available to order, a la the Jurassic Park Trilogy, with a disc or two of bonus material relevent to all three movies that they didn't want to release before all 3 were out. At least that's how I hope they do it!

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I think the EE is it. So far, New Line and Jackson have been very good about keeping the fans in the loop and not trying to double dip them in an unfair manner. Good think Columbia isn't making these.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
As stated above New Line has said the the EE's are the final release of the films. But I would take that as meaning "for now".

Peter Jackson has already talked about revisiting the film(s), at least FOTR. In his commentary he mentions how the design for Gollum has changed going into TTT, and in the future he'd like to change the Gollum in FOTR to the same design as in TTT and ROTK. So, at least he is thinking of the possibility of coming back to the films at some point in the future (though it may be quite a while, and I wouldn't expect it any time before HD-DVD becomes available).

And if there is even the slightest possibility that PJ might go back to the films later and add more (or re-edit into one 11 hour film), then I'm sure he wouldn't want to release potential new stuff in just some "deleted scene" disc now.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I thought I'd read were PJ had said before production started on LOTR that he envisioned the DVD releases as being single releases for each film as it played in the theater, and then a boxset were they were all cut into one giant movie, that would be his directors cut. (I think this plan being made as George Lucas was getting flack from the fans by saying no Star Wars DVDs would be released before 1-3 were out in the theaters.)

The release of LOTR has obviously changed, with both extended and theatrical cuts, but I suppose we can't rule out the possibility.

Based on FOTR:EE, I couldn't imagine what other material they could include, other than deleted scenes that could easily be part of the ROTK:EE box set with figurine. I also would think (well, I'd prefer}, a redone cut of all the films would be better suited 5-10 years down the road on HD-DVD, as the time passed would make for an interesting commentary, as PJ would surely have King Kong done, and LOTR out of his system, making it interesting to see how he views the trilogy in retrospect.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
I wouldn't worry too much about this! The EE's are tremendous DVD's and I don't believe there will be any bigger releases of these movies in the future! And if there are, I'm sure it will be the way we like it - with NO overlapping special features. :)

James Lambert

Stunt Coordinator
I sincerly hope that all deleted scenes are part of the RotK EE, as if memory serves there are at least the subplot of the main Uruk Hai character and an original happier version at the prancing pony from FotR filmed. It certainly wouldn't put me off buying the versions that come out anyway (Two Towers is sitting in my drawer at work and can't wait to get it home)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks